The World News Media

English vs. Hebrew

admin

Why do Jehovah's Witnesses (those that speak English as their first language) seem to hate the language so much? I've been in the Truth for over 50-years, and every time language comes up during a meeting, somebody makes a comment about how much better ancient Hebrew was than the English we speak today, even though the article just said, "Jehovah doesn't care". He can use any language. Does that occur in languages other than English? - George, USA

• Views 668
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you have access to the New World Translation 2013? Appendices A4 and A5, page 1731 to 1743.

I do not personally feel the way you outlined above, however II have heard such statements before.  They are most  likely based on the belief that mankind is degenerating from bad to worse as every century passes since the first perfect human pair. The belief is that language is also.

Agape!

The Librarian

Hatred of English? I haven't come across that one yet amongst Jehovah's Witnesses currently, although I know there have been cranky views held in the past.

I'm pretty glad to be speaking English actually. It's a bit like speaking koine Greek in the 1stC, or Hebrew earlier on. We get a privileged access to spiritual food, speaking the base language of the time.

I have heard comments to the effect that Hebrew is the perfect language because it was the original language, but I keep an open mind on that, not just because I don't speak Hebrew. It was Jehovah who produced the proliferation of language wasn't it?

I've never heard anyone say that about English when it is their first language. The only time I've ever heard anything like that is when it is a persons SECOND language. Then they must think is is hard to learn or just prefer their own language. I can understand that because some things are hard to translate and it takes more words to explain what they mean To them their original language is just easier to understand.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.