The World News Media

Best Tips for Solar Eclipse iPhone Photography

Does anyone know some "best tips" for capturing the upcoming solar eclipse using my iPhone?

Other than to not look at the sun without eclipse glasses.....

Will the sun hurt the light sensor on the iPhone?

Thanks in advance

• Views 753
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pointing your iphone camera at the sun without constant motion will overheat the sensor and burn it up in about three seconds. Ever burn ants with a magnifying glass as a kid? Same thing.

Be careful Michael...  In Germany they warned us before our last total Solar eclipse in 2015 !  I post somethings on sunday here... A handy, iPhone or Digi cam. all too dangerous for such of photos.

I am home now, after traveling to Cross Hill, SC to be dead center of the total eclipse ... and I have some MORE good advice ... pray beforehand that Jehovah would let you see the eclipse with clear s

Pointing your iphone camera at the sun without constant motion will overheat the sensor and burn it up in about three seconds.

Ever burn ants with a magnifying glass as a kid?

Same thing.

This is true of ANY electronic sensor in ANY digital camera.

I bought an $85  solar filter for my camera to prevent this.

The filter has to be at least 16.5 " f: " stops neutral density to not be dangerous to eyes or sensors.

THEN ... use a tripod.

AND ... do not spend too much time with the camera ... you WILL remember this in great detail the entire rest of your life. 

Don't waste it looking through a viewfinder.

I am home now, after traveling to Cross Hill, SC to be dead center of the total eclipse ... and I have some MORE good advice ... pray beforehand that Jehovah would let you see the eclipse with clear skies .... we had a very high layer of haze, and two lower layers of  broken clouds ... but just two minutes before totality, a hole opened up in the clouds for the three minutes needed.

ALSO ... practice, Practice, PRACTICE with your cameras and do "full dress rehearsals" so it is automatic, for a month, perhaps half a day a week, tracking the sun, etc.

I wish I had done the rehearsals ... the best was actually a movie of my wife and I from a second camera on a tripod, TRYING to track the Sun through clouds,

....sigh ...

There is the old saying "Pray before Heaven, but Row towards Shore".