The World News Media

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

"Robert E Lee was married to George Washington's granddaughter. He worked with Grant during the Mexican-American war and became a decorated war hero defending this country He believed slavery was a great evil and his wife broke the law by teaching slaves to read and write. After the civil war he worked with Andrew Johnson's program of reconstruction. He became very popular with the northern states and the Barracks at West Point were named in his honor in 1962. He was a great man who served this country his entire life in some form or other. His memorial is now being called a blight. No American military veteran should be treated as such. People keep yelling, "You can't change history." Sadly you can. This is no better than book burnings. ISIS tried rewriting history by destroying historical artifacts. Is that really who we want to emulate?
As they tear down this "blight" keep these few historical facts in your mind. No military veteran and highly decorated war hero should ever be treated as such. This is not Iraq and that is not a statue of Sadam.

IN ADDITION:: Lee was also very torn about the prospect of the South leaving the Union. His wifes grandfather George Washington was a huge influence on him. He believed that ultimately, states rights trumped the federal government and chose to lead the Southern army. His estate, Arlington, near Washington DC was his home and while away fighting the war, the federal government demanded that Lee himself pay his taxes in person. He sent his wife but the money was not accepted from a woman. When he could not pay the taxes, the government began burying dead Union soldiers on his land. The government is still burying people there today. It is now called Arlington National Cemetery. DO THEY WANT TO TEAR THAT UP ALSO ??

image1.JPG

• Views 556
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robert E. Lee was a United States Army Soldier, until asked to fight against the Confederacy, and he replied "I cannot raise my sword against my native Virginia".

He resigned his commission, and joined the Confederate States of America Army to defend his State and his friends and family against Northern Aggression.

After Richmond, Virginia was burned to the ground, Abraham Lincoln, his wife AND HER LEGAL SLAVE (Remember ... slavery was abolished by Presidential Decree ONLY in the States in rebellion against the United States.) toured the ruins of Richmond. There are photographs.

Unfortunately, the Democrats ran the political systems in the South, and THEY controlled the issues of slavery.

" During his famous debates with Sen. Stephen Douglas, Lincoln explained to the crowd: “I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races Â… I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

Lincoln was no different than most white males, North and South, at the time. He was a white supremacist."  -    www.snopes.com

The American Civil War was NOT about slavery ... it was about States Rights to leave the Union when the rules of Union became oppressive and burdensome. This issue was settled, not by what was right or wrong .. but on the battlefield.

Unless you spend a LOT of time searching for TRUTH, most everything you THINK you know .... about EVERYTHING ... is wrong.

17626245_10THIS IS TRUTH  600 .jpg