The World News Media

ARE WE SAFE OUT THERE? NO! – Deaf Community Outraged After a Sign Language Interpreter Signed Nonsense During Hurricane Irma Press Conference

Bible Speaks

Deaf Community Outraged After a Sign Language Interpreter Signed Nonsense During Hurricane Irma Press Conference

On Sept. 8, an interpreter for the deaf signed a variety of unrelated words while trying to translate a Hurricane Irma evacuation message to hearing impaired residents of Manatee County, Florida.

County leaders told WFLA they were “in a pinch” and needed to find a sign language interpreter fast, so they turned to Marshall Greene, a lifeguard for the county’s marine rescue unit, who had a deaf older brother.

But instead of conveying the appropriate message, Greene signed incoherent nonsense like, “Help you at that time too use bear big,” according to the Bradenton Herald.

Leaders for the deaf community expressed shock over how Manatee County had handled the situation.

The former president of the National Association of the Deaf Chris Wagner spoke with WFLA through an interpreter to say, “It was obvious to me he wasn’t a professional interpreter. I was totally shocked.”

“Everybody was talking about it on social media, everyone was shocked, asking leaders in the deaf community to do something about it,” Wagner continued.

Social media users have likewise been shocked and outraged.

“This isn’t funny,” wrote one Twitter user. “Either you know ASL or you don’t. Please don’t put Deaf lives in danger because you’re clueless.

“THAT IS NOT AN INTERPRETER. There’s zero message coming through to ASL USERS. Please value the information and the receivers enough to get a professional,” another Facebook user commented.

GreeneÂ’s family however maintain that their son just did what we he was supposed to do.

“He can’t expect to communicate something he doesn’t know,” Greene’s father told WFLA.

The deaf community has also asked for an apology, according to CBS New York.

This article was originally published on PEOPLE.com

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/deaf-community-outraged-after-a-sign-language-interpreter-signed-nonsense-during-hurricane-irma-press-conference/ar-AAs0XBG

IMG_6808.PNG

• Views 613
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Deaf Community Outraged After a Sign Language Interpreter Signed Nonsense During Hurricane Irma Press Conference On Sept. 8, an interpreter for the deaf signed a variety of unrelated words while

That's why I have no objections to telling religious jokes on the Amish . ... they don't even have electricity ... much less computers. They will never know !

I remember a deaf interpreter from an older report....  also seen in TV !  But not yet,  by the Hurricane  IRMA...   I'm sure,  they would have shown that in TV again ! Weird situation....

Posted Images

I just saw that video on another page...  The "yellow man"  was wearing wrong clothes as  deaf interpreter...  they've to waer dark clothes, for better understanding.  Then he told from PIZZA, MONSTERS, etc. He has to apologize about his wrong signing !

I hope, next time they will looking for a real and good interpreter !  Very awkward for the nation✔️

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.