The World News Media

What About Just Going to Meet People?

TrueTomHarley

What about sometimes just going to the door to meet and converse with people - and forget all about the kingdom? Is there ever a place for this? It was the conversation this morning in our car group.

Not as a regular thing. As part of a learning curve. Not all of the friends have 'people skills' yet they've volunteered for a work in which it is vital - or at least it makes the job go more smoothly.

Just visit to meet neighbors. If they ask why you've come, tell them you're a Witness but you aren't there to talk about that unless they want - 'My people skills aren't what they could be and I want to improve them' you could say.

I suspect it will get no worse results than some of those we already get. Some will want no part of it, likely most, some will be suspicious, but if you are successful in developing people skills, you will instantly detect that and change tacks. Or just thank them for their time and move on.

Thoughts? Don't use it as a back door - a sneaky way to get in a witness. Say, if asked, 'some time I could tell you about the paradise earth, but I don't want to do that just now. I just want to meet people,' and talk about what's right before you - their garden, bumper stickers, family - whatever strikes your eye.

"Whatever you may say will not be used against you." I don't know that I would say THAT, but if you're just out to improve people skills, you can do anything you want, since the object is to connect with people - not to 'give a witness.'

My guess is that a certain percentage will, though this is not your object, begin to ask you how you came to choose the work you are doing? They will be disarmed. And you will not take advantage by arming. That will be for some entirely different time with someone else.

For those who feel they are 'on duty' and MUST give a witness, they could slip in a tract or a card, especially when asked. "Here's a tract, but I don't want to talk about it just now." You get the idea.

Has anyone ever done this?

• Views 691
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What about sometimes just going to the door to meet and converse with people - and forget all about the kingdom? Is there ever a place for this? It was the conversation this morning in our car group.

Being part of a asl congregation and reaching out to the deaf community as a hearing person, many times the deaf have many barriers before they open up to you. Or even when you meet a family member that is hearing that has a deaf relative they are very protective of them.  Sometimes just having a friendly conversation is necessary before preaching or witnessing to them. If they do ask who do you represent I do tell them that I am a Jehovah's Witness.  

• 2 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.