The World News Media

Randy Fredrick

Guest Nicole

59c51bcdc8d38.image.jpg

Randy Fredrick is not from Sallisaw, but having lived here for 35 years, he is accustomed to our small-town life.

Fredrick, who grew up in Tulsa, likes Sallisaw because it has less traffic, although he admits the traffic is worse now than in 1992. 

“We liked being where there was less traffic and a slower pace,” Randy said. Jena maintains the books for Fredrick Heat & Air.

Randy has been married to Jena (Sheppard) Fredrick since 1987. Jena is from the Cowlington/Keota area so a move to Sallisaw was a natural place to get away from the city.

Randy, 59, went from large chiller and boiler systems at apartment complexes to more residential heating and air conditioning work.

While Randy has been in the business for 35 years, his son, Daniel, is carrying on the tradition.

Daniel, 28, is an apprentice under Randy and has been working on and off with Randy for 10 years. Of late he is more serious about a career in HVAC and has bought his own tools, he said.

“My Dad was also in the heat and air business as well, but installed systems in mobile homes,” Randy said. Clifford Fredrick’s company, Clifford Blue Streak Service operated in the Tulsa area.

“We were supposed to move to California, but dad was offered a job in Tulsa. With six kids to feed, he couldn’t pass it up,” Randy said. Clifford began delivering and setting up mobile homes before starting his own company focusing on installing heating and air systems in mobile homes.

RandyÂ’s HVAC career path started while working maintenance for a large building management company. When the companyÂ’s HVAC man quit, Randy took over that job and was sent to school to be trained.

“I was working on heat and air systems while still going to school,” Randy said. “I did six hours of school and then eight hours of work. I was supposed to work until 10 p.m., but getting to 8 was the most I could do some days.”

Once he went out on his own, Randy used the name Fredrick Blue Streak Service before changing it to Fredrick Heat & Air.

As for hobbies, Randy said he doesnÂ’t get to hunt or fish as much as he wants to.

“The problem with fishing is that when you get to spring time, my work picks up and turkey hunting takes over the fishing,” Randy said. “It’s hard to find enough time.”

But he has found a new passion for hog hunting, partly because he has a permit to do it at night. He said they are a smarter animal than most people think.

“The nose on a hog is way better than a deer. If everything is not just right, they won’t hang around,” Randy said.

He has spotted quite a few on his hunting land north of Sallisaw near the Adair County line. The largest he has taken was about 200 lbs. back in July, he said.

Daniel said he isn’t much of a hunter, but the hog meat, “tastes about like store bought.” Randy added that the hog’s smell is awful. 

Daniel prefers astronomy as a hobby and recently bought an 8” telescope.

Randy and Jena were both raised as JehovahÂ’s Witness and spend many weekends ministering by going door to door in their churchÂ’s assigned territory in Sequoyah County. The Sallisaw congregation has about 120 members, Randy said. Randy was baptized in 1973.

“One of the main things with Jehovah’s Witnesses is trying to keep Jesus’ command about going to talking to someone as disciples. People know us because we are at their doors on Saturday mornings,” Randy said.

“Each congregations has their assigned territories to work to try to get people to read their Bibles and learn what the truth is from the scriptures,” Randy said.

The vast majority of JehovahÂ’s Witnesses come from other religions, Randy said. He and Jena are somewhat of a rarity that both were raised in the religion.

http://www.sequoyahcountytimes.com/news/article_de509918-9fa0-11e7-9cdb-db6ead7d76d5.html

• Views 470
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.