• Views 613
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Queen Esther I think Jesus was just making the same point that Paul made in 1 Corinthians. Jesus made the point in a dramatic way that would catch everyone's attention. Paul, I think, is providing a

Literal eunuchs were those who were born such because of birth defects or who were made that way by accident or mutilation. However, there were also those who freely made themselves eunuchs. Though el

@Queen Esther I think Jesus was just making the same point that Paul made in 1 Corinthians. Jesus made the point in a dramatic way that would catch everyone's attention. Paul, I think, is providing a commentary for the same point, showing that it was not literal, of course, but by personal choice. It's about the choice to marry or not to marry.

I merely pulled the three cross-referenced scriptures that the NWT uses for the verse in Matthew:

• (1 Corinthians 7:32) Indeed, I want you to be free from anxiety. The unmarried man is anxious for the things of the Lord, how he may gain the Lord’s approval.
  • (1 Corinthians 7:38) So also, whoever marries does well, but whoever does not marry will do better.
  • (1 Corinthians 9:5) We have the right to be accompanied by a believing wife, as the rest of the apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Ceʹphas, do we not?

I  need  a  right  explanation  for  a  long - time  Bible student  woman,  she  asked  me  to  that.  Now  I  can  give  her  a  good  answer !  Thank  you  very  much,  dear  @JW Insider :)  My  best  wishes  and  greetings  from  Germany  to  you !  Enjoy  your  weekend :D  I  will  tell  you,  what  the  Bible  student  answer  me  and  if she  has  more  questions,  maybe....   Again,  thank  you !

Literal eunuchs were those who were born such because of birth defects or who were made that way by accident or mutilation. However, there were also those who freely made themselves eunuchs. Though eligible for marriage, they exercised self-control and remained single “on account of the kingdom of the heavens.” Like Jesus, they chose the state of singleness so that they could devote themselves to Kingdom service. They were neither born with the gift of singleness nor granted such a gift. They actually made room for it. That is, they deliberately acquired the gift
Further regarding Jesus’ words, the footnote to the Roman Catholic Westminster Version of the Sacred Scriptures: The New Testament explains: “Not physically by carnal mutilation, but spiritually by purpose or vow.” Likewise, A Commentary on the New Testament, by John Trapp, states: “Not gelded themselves, as Origen and some others in the primitive times, by mistake of this text . . . but live single, that they may serve God with more freedom.”

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.