The World News Media

Shunning, sinners and excommunication in JW congregations

Srecko Sostar

5 hours ago, Anna said:

the unforgivable sin

Yes to the video. The brother was recovered from an apostate course. I am just saying that while the "unforgivable sin" is necessarily accompanied by apostasy, however it is defined, it does not follow that all apostates have committed the "unforgivable sin".

In other words, those who apostatize can repent and turn around and experience forgiveness from Jehovah. The record of the Kings demonstrates this. In fact, the return of Solomon (who, as far as the record indicates, died in apostasy) in the resurrection of the unrighteous is a prime example (1Ki.11:43; Acts 24:15), whilst Mannaseh provides a second witness (2Chr.33:13; 20). 

Wilfullness and unrepentance seem to be key characterisics of the "unforgiveable sin". Of course, the determination of those factors lies in the hands of the "Judge of all the earth" and those whom He has commissioned and empowered to judge.

• Views 3.4k
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once heard a talk about this very thing, many years ago....what on earth does it mean? The brother gave some good insight on it that really helped shed some light on Jesus words. His explanation was

We humans can only judge what we see or hear about. Jehovah judges the heart.

I don't think any of us can claim that, and it is rather presumptuous of you if you think you can!

53 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Then it is enough to read the Bible and pray to God for his spirit!

Enough for what? The Ethiopian eunuch did this I am sure? Acts 8:9-38. As did Apollos (Acts 18:26).

53 minutes ago, Srecko Sostar said:

GB said how private reading the Bible, reading alone,  [without leads of WT scholars] can bring people back to Babylon the great and pagans beliefs.

There are millions of witnesses to support the unbracketed element of this statement. There are also those who return to Babylonish doctorine despite the "leads of WT scholars".

12 minutes ago, Gone Fishing said:

Enough for what? The Ethiopian eunuch

After one , two or more hours while they traveled and talking this guy get baptised and story ends. No more Bible studies, no meetings twice a week, even Filip not invite him to join Organization or congregation. No man's, human leadership for him, JUST "SPIRIT fallen on him" and Ethiopians happiness - verse 39. :)      

3 hours ago, Gone Fishing said:

How do you know?

Answer: by reading Bible alone, without JWorg :)))))))

Ok that was for for little truthful fun. For serious now. Report not said anything else just what is readable from verse. I agree with possibility to make, build some story around that few sentences and after some time it is possible to come to existence some sort of legend, folklore, tradition, and some would use that for  manipulative reasons.

You have also Bible verse ;   6 I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers,1 that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may ube puffed up in favor of one against another.   

So, dear Fisher, if you want you can go and "catch" more in the sea of various stories or generate own story about Filip and Ethiopian man. But that will be just possibility without firm and evident reality. :) 

For those who do not believe people like me, here is what you can find in WT publications :)  

"From time to time, there have arisen from among the ranks of Jehovah's people those, who, like the original Satan, have adopted an independent, faultfinding attitude...They say that it is sufficient to read the Bible exclusively, either alone or in small groups at home. But, strangely, through such 'Bible reading,' they have reverted right back to the apostate doctrines that commentaries by Christendom's clergy were teaching ..." Watchtower 1981 Aug 15 p.29

"Under the guidance of his holy spirit and on the basis of his Word of truth, Jehovah provides what is needed so that all of God's people may be "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought" and remain "stabilized in the faith." (1 Cor. 1:10; Col. 2:6, 7) Surely we are grateful for Jehovah's spiritual provisions in these last days. Thus, "the faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight." Kingdom Ministry Sep 2007 US Edition

1 hour ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Thus, "the faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight." 

Check the definition of 'endorse.' You seem to be implying that they forbid it. 

In fact, their statement is much weaker than that of Paul to Timothy: "O Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to you. Avoid profane babbling and the absurdities of so-called knowledge." -  Tim 6:20 NABRE

3 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Check the definition of 'endorse.'

Dictionary com. = to approve, support

Thesaurus = verb support, authorize

Merriam Webster = to approve openly

and other Synonyms but with prefix NOT approve, NOT support ...

Yes Tom at first sight maybe reader get that impression as you are.  BUT look once again on that sentence; "Thus, "the faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight."

In polite manner GB say to members- NO! And perhaps i would not Paul's wording to Timothy described as you did. "O Timothy, guard ..." See, hear that vocal "O".... as fatherly advice, asking, please do guard...in sense of, "How you can't see that Thimothy ...I told you this last time when we meet..." Can you imagine what i try to say you Tom? :)   

WT GB gave administrative rule is in study edition and by that gave INSTRUCTION, LESSON on level that can not be challenged, questionable. Nothing else member can do with this but feels fear if disobey.  And on that "playing game" GB put his "game card". On one side we have members who voluntarily giving Power to human, to men. And on side of GB they push that request of obligations and "voluntarily obedience" to them in the name of God.  

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.