The World News Media

2017's FIRST and ONLY Supermoon rises on Dec. 3. DEC. - Don't miss it !

Queen Esther

full-moon-denver-colerado.jpg

A  REMINDER  FOR  THE  NEXT  *SUPER - MOON*  TO  THIS  WEEKEND,  DEC. 3. 2017 !

2017's  FIRST  and  ONLY  supermoon  rises  on  Dec. 3. DEC.

The supermoon will rise to begin the month of December. It is the only supermoon to greet the waning year of 2017.  -  Don't  miss  it. :)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/videos/2017s-first-and-only-supermoon-rises-on-dec-3/41mg9pzde6imny2zju1p2okslsh1lbhc

• Views 2.2k
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A  REMINDER  FOR  THE  NEXT  *SUPER - MOON*  TO  THIS  WEEKEND,  DEC. 3. 2017 ! 2017's  FIRST  and  ONLY  supermoon  rises  on  Dec. 3. DEC. The supermoon will rise to begin t

Looks Bigger and Brighter.... A Supermoon happens when a Full Moon or New Moon coincides with the Moon's closest approach to Earth; also called perigee. Full Moon over Denver, Colorado, US.

JWI:   I checked your math, as I do not believe anybody on the face of it .. and you are right ... a fairly standard rifle bullet travels at approximately 1100 feet per second(fps), which if it w

Posted Images

supermoon-micromoon.png

Looks Bigger and Brighter.jpg

Looks Bigger and Brighter....

A Supermoon happens when a Full Moon or New Moon coincides with the Moon's closest approach to Earth; also called perigee.
Full Moon over Denver, Colorado, US.

A Supermoon can be a Full or New Moon.

©bigstockphoto.com/ duallogic

A Super Full Moon looks around 12% to 14% bigger than its counterpart, the Micromoon.

Moon phases and events....
Next Supermoon, December  3. 2017

The next Supermoon will be on December 3, 2017.

The Supermoon on November 14, 2016, was the closest since January 26, 1948. The next time a Full Moon will come even closer to Earth is on November 25, 2034 (dates based on UTC time).

How can Full Moon be in the daytime?
Perigee and Apogee

The Moon's orbit around Earth is not a perfect circle, but elliptical, with one side closer to Earth than the other.

As a result of the Moon's elliptical orbit, the distance between the Moon and Earth varies throughout the month and the year. On average the distance is about 382,900 kilometers (238,000 miles).

The point on the Moon's orbit closest to Earth is called the perigee and the point farthest away is the apogee.

Moon phases in your location
Super Full Moon and Super New Moon

Illustrative comparison of a Supermoon and Micromoon.
According to NASA, a Super Full Moon looks around 12% to 14% bigger than a Micromoon.

When a Full Moon coincides with its closest approach to Earth, it is called a Super Full Moon. A New Moon that takes place when the Moon is around its perigee is known as a Super New Moon.

A Micromoon, on the other hand, is when a Full or a New Moon is farthest from the Earth, around apogee. It's also known as a Minimoon, Mini Full Moon, or a Mini New Moon.

Astronomical terms & definitions
Not an Official Name

Supermoon is not an official astronomical term. It was first coined by an astrologer, Richard Nolle, in 1979. He defined it as ‘a New or a Full Moon that occurs when the Moon is at or near (within 90% of) its closest approach to Earth in its orbit’. It is not clear why he chose the 90% cut off in his definition.

There are no official rules as to how close or far the Moon must be to qualify as a Supermoon or a Micro Moon. Different outlets use different definitions. Due to this, a Full Moon classified as a Supermoon by one source may not qualify as a Super Full Moon by another.
Supermoon Definition

The following definitions are used at timeanddate.com:

Supermoon: A Full or New Moon that occurs when the center of the Moon is less than 360,000 kilometers (ca. 223,694 miles) from the center of Earth.
    Micromoon: A Full Moon or New Moon that takes place when the center of the Moon is farther than 405,000 kilometers (ca. 251,655 miles) from the center of Earth.

Technical Name: Perigee-syzygy

The technical term for a Supermoon is perigee-syzygy of the Earth-Moon-Sun system. In astronomy, the term syzygy refers to the straight-line configuration of three celestial bodies.

When the Moon is close to the lunar nodes of its path during syzygy, it causes a total solar eclipse or a total lunar eclipse
Looks Bigger and Brighter....
The Full Moon setting over Jobs Peak, Carson Valley, Nevada.
A Full Moon near the horizon looks bigger and brighter than when the same Full Moon is higher  in the Sky.
©iStockphoto.com/Jason Woodcock

Because it's  SO  close to Earth, a Super Full Moon looks about 7% bigger than an average Full Moon. When compared to a Micromoon, it looks about 12% to 14% larger.

A Super Full Moon also looks about 30% brighter than a Micro Full Moon and about 16% brighter than an average Full Moon.
Biggest During Winter....

Supermoons during Northern Hemisphere winter months tend to look larger than Supermoons that occur during the rest of the year. At this time of the year, Earth is closer to the Sun. Because of this, the Sun's gravity pulls the Moon closer to Earth, making any winter Super Full Moons look bigger than summer Super Full Moons.
Best at Moonrise

The best time to enjoy a Super Full Moon is after moonrise when the Moon is just above the horizon, weather permitting. At this position, a Super Full Moon will look bigger and brighter than when it's higher up in the sky because you can compare the apparent size of the Moon with elements in the landscape like hills, foliage, and buildings. This effect is called the Moon Illusion.

Taking pictures of the Moon  :)
Higher Tides at Supermoon

? ? ? .•*¨`*•..¸???¸.•*¨`*•. ? ? ?

8 minutes ago, Queen Esther said:

THATS  NOT  MY  TEXT  -  @JW Insider  :)

I fixed it twice, and each time I checked it, it had stayed the same -- my fix didn't take. I just finally fixed it and it looks like it will stay this time.

The twist on your picture is, of course, from the Superman series, which always included the words:

• Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. The infant of Krypton is now the Man of Steel: Superman!   -- Superman (1941) - Quotes - IMDb

I  CAN'T  COMPARE  A  SUPERMOON  WITH  SUPERMAN......   NO !!   SUPERMAN  IS  MOVING  FAST  IN  FILM,  BUT  THE  BIG  SUPERMOON  IS  A  SLOWLY   "GUY"  xD   SUPERMAN  IS  A  SCIENCE - FICTION  FRAME,  BUT  MOON / SOMETIMES  A  SUPERMOON,  IS  REAL !!  :)

39 minutes ago, Queen Esther said:

NO !!   SUPERMAN  IS  MOVING  FAST  IN  FILM,  BUT  THE  BIG  SUPERMOON  IS  A  SLOWLY   "GUY"  xD   SUPERMAN  IS  A  SCIENCE - FICTION  FRAME,  BUT  MOON / SOMETIMES  A  SUPERMOON,  IS  REAL !! 

Thanks for the setup . . . 

The Moon orbits Earth at a speed of 2,288 miles per hour (3,683 kilometers per hour). During this time it travels a distance of 1,423,000 miles (2,290,000 kilometers).

Some guns shoot bullets at only 800 miles per hour. So the moon is also "faster than a speeding bullet" and of course it's more powerful than a locomotive. It's odd to think that when NASA sent men to the moon, they were landing on a very fast "bullet."

JWI:

I checked your math, as I do not believe anybody on the face of it .. and you are right ... a fairly standard rifle bullet travels at approximately 1100 feet per second(fps), which if it were in space with no air resistance and gravitational centers far away that would be about 750 miles per hour.  I picked the 1100 fps as a generalization.

The theme  music from the 1951 "Superman" TV show is on this link.

TV Themes - Superman - 1951.mp3

1951 Superman George Reeves  .jpg

Where this ties into the conversation is that (notice his yellow belt with the plain belt buckle...) some times when flying at supersonic speed in the atmosphere, the wind catches in his leotards, and he .... *koff* .... "MOONS" the Earth.

... and now you know the REST of the story ... of why Superman wears a long red cape.

13 hours ago, Queen Esther said:

Men  are  amazing....  from  a  SUPERMOON  to  SUPERMAN....   GREAT !!  :D

PS.  I  NEVER  SAW  A  MOVIE  WITH  SUPERMAN,  sorry  hahaha xD

Yes, but surely you have heard of the "MAN in the MOON."

Or we could compromise with "MON"

image.png

Anyway, these are very nice pictures of the moon. Also I saw it for that last couple of evenings, and it's very beautiful.