The World News Media

Is It Time to Break Up Google?

We have been transported back to the early 20th century, when arguments about “the curse of bigness” were advanced by President Woodrow Wilson’s counselor, Louis Brandeis, before Wilson appointed him to the Supreme Court. Brandeis wanted to eliminate monopolies, because (in the words of his biographer Melvin Urofsky) “in a democratic society the existence of large centers of private power is dangerous to the continuing vitality of a free people.” We need look no further than the conduct of the largest banks in the 2008 financial crisis or the role that Facebook and Google play in the “fake news” business to know that Brandeis was right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/22/opinion/sunday/is-it-time-to-break-up-google.html

• Views 411
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@James Thomas Rook Jr.  Good point. It's not like GOVERNMENT has ever lied to us before... LOL

Before I die, I would like to read a non fiction version of the Warren Report about JFK's death.

@James Thomas Rook Jr.  Haha.... I like how you said that. I think there is a good tag on here about JFK's assassination stuff as well. Amazing how as time goes by truth / history is written

We are going to have to decide fairly soon whether Google, Facebook and Amazon are the kinds of natural monopolies that need to be regulated, or whether we allow the status quo to continue, pretending that unfettered monoliths don’t inflict damage on our privacy and democracy.

It is impossible to deny that Facebook, Google and Amazon have stymied innovation on a broad scale. To begin with, the platforms of Google and Facebook are the point of access to all media for the majority of Americans. While profits at Google, Facebook and Amazon have soared, revenues in media businesses like newspaper publishing or the music business have, since 2001, fallen by 70 percent.

• 9 months later...

I don't know about Facebook, but Google and Amazon have RISEN to the very top, because of providing FAR SUPERIOR service, products and price than newspapers and brick-and-mortar stores.

They did not STEAL that position ... they EARNED it, through the very innovation and service you want to disparage and regulate!

Let the MARKETPLACE decide which companies will live, or die!

Oh wait!  THEY ALREADY HAVE.

Getting "The Gubbermint" to regulate what so very obviously works GREAT!, is like getting a senile, but hungry wolf to guard YOUR PET HAMSTER !