The World News Media

“Messenger of the Covenant” - Malachi 3

The Librarian

*** it-2 p. 385 Messenger ***
“Messenger of the Covenant.” In fulfillment of Malachi 3:1, John the Baptizer appeared as the messenger who prepared the way before Jehovah by getting the Jews ready for the coming of God’s chief representative, Jesus Christ.Mt 11:10, 11; Mr 1:1-4; Lu 7:27, 28.

As the foretold “messenger of the covenant,” Jesus Christ came to the temple and cleansed it. (Mt 21:12, 13; Mr 11:15-17; Lu 19:45, 46)

He evidently was the messenger of the Abrahamic covenant, for it was on the basis of this covenant that the Jews were the first ones to be granted the opportunity to become Kingdom heirs. This was the covenant to which Peter appealed when calling upon the Jews to repent. It is also noteworthy that John the Baptizer’s father, Zechariah, referred to the Abrahamic covenant in connection with Jehovah’s raising up ‘a horn of salvation in the house of David,’ this horn being the Messiah.Compare Mt 10:5-7; 15:24; 21:31; Lu 1:69- 75; Ac 3:12, 19-26.

-----------------------------

I also remember the antitypical "messenger" Charles Taze Russell who opened up the way by preparing the slave class for the work ahead.

I will need to look up some older references. I think I remember something about Elijah and Elisha as well but memory is failing me at the moment.

@JW Insider 

• Views 772
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

*** it-2 p. 385 Messenger *** “Messenger of the Covenant.” In fulfillment of Malachi 3:1, John the Baptizer appeared as the messenger who prepared the way before Jehovah by getting the Jews ready for

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.