The World News Media

New Light

Matthew9969

15 hours ago, Nana Fofana said:

Thanks for welcome! - and info.:)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102005009?q=tacking&p=par

"How Fish Swim Upstream

According to a study published in Science magazine, brook trout and other varieties of fish exploit turbulent flows swirling around stationary objects in the water to minimize effort and give themselves an energy-saving boost against the current. By altering their body position and synchronizing movements with the eddies they encounter, says New Scientist, trout save so much energy that they do not have to use their main swimming muscles. “ItÂ’s a very low-energy way of moving through a turbulent environment,” explains one of the authors of the study, George Lauder, a biomechanician at Harvard University. In effect, says New Scientist, “the fish were bending their bodies into wing-like hydrofoils to catch the eddies, like a sailboat tacking upwind.”

Maybe the trout  look like they are working really hard compared to fish swimming downstream.    But -

" they  save so much energy that they do not have to use their main swimming muscles. “It’s a very low-energy way of moving through a turbulent environment,”'

"like a sailboat tacking upwind.”    

- because not always sailing downwind?

14 So we should no longer be children, tossed about as by waves and carried here and there by every wind of teaching..[ Eph. 4]

I'm not an expert in sailing, but I believe sailing both with and into the wind is possible. I think they change the type of sail on modern boats. The above scripture I think is about control, steering and sails. If you lack control you'll be blown aimlessly in any direction. But if you have some control, since we can never have complete control,  then you can steer through a stormy sea, raise or lower sails depending on the wind strength. This implies, for us today, that thinking ability is needed when navigating tricky situations. That many of life's challenges aren't so straight forward, but made up of many layers, that take time to go through. But thanks for your research!

• Views 3.5k
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The problem with the "tacking", is the front of one shoe is nailed to the floor, and any "progress" is made in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise circle. Creating an artificial sense of urge

Hear, my son, and receive my sayings,And the years of your life will be many. I have taught you in the way of wisdom;I have led you in right paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hindered,And w

Dear Cheepcheep, thank you for your polite response. Although you are trying to look at the organization’s “tacking” objectively, you have not mentioned the light of Christ in your comment.  Each a

Posted Images

On 1/28/2018 at 11:18 PM, Srecko Sostar said:

very deep thoughts, like it very much. Be blessed dear Witness :))

It appears you are being blessed with the light of Christ and spiritual understanding!  :)

On 1/29/2018 at 9:18 AM, Nana Fofana said:

but how about Ezekiel's chariot and the 'tacking' behavior it exhibits?

Surely we would not want to relate failed teachings with anything to do with God?     Nothing – nothing, can be compared to God.  Isa 40:18,25   Aligning “Keeping pace with Jehovah’s organization” to Ezekiel’s chariot is a slanderous statement by the organization.  The four living creatures are not attributes of God, but are the same four living creatures who bow down before the lamb in Rev 5:8   The significance of the chariot, the four living creatures moving in one direction, depict the “144,000”/Body of Christ/”priesthood” – the completed heavenly Kingdom of God and salvation for His children.  Ezek 1:8-14; Eph 4:4-6 ; Heb 8:5; 12:22-24,28,29

9 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

WHAT IS, WHO IS, WHAT KIND OF   w i n d   FORCING   WT company to change courses??

Yes. What is the source of the wind?  Nana began to answer it, but stopped short:

18 hours ago, Nana Fofana said:

So we should no longer be children, tossed about as by waves and carried here and there by every wind of teaching..[ Eph. 4]

In completion it says,

then we will no longer be little children, tossed by the waves and blown around by every wind of teaching, by human cunning with cleverness in the techniques of deceit.  

Of course, Satan would be behind such techniques.  (2 Cor 11:3; 1 Pet 3:10)

If anyone thinks he is religious without controlling his tongue, his religion is useless and he deceives himself.  James 1:26

15 But speaking the truth in love, let us grow in every way into him who is the head—Christ. 16 From him the whole body, fitted and knit together by every supporting ligament, promotes the growth of the body for building up itself in love by the proper working of each individual part.

This reflects Ezekiel’s chariot as God’s workings through Christ and his Bride in the Kingdom.  It is referring to the anointed Body of Christ – not the counterfeit Body of Elders. 

“And he himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers, 12 equipping the saints for the work of ministry, to build up the body of Christ, 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of God’s Son, growing into maturity with a stature measured by Christ’s fullness.”

Therefore, putting away lying, speak the truth, each one to his neighbor, because we are members of one another. 

Would it be so hard to speak the truth to one another, if our hearts were motivated by authentic love?  Do Wt’s leaders exhibit love when they mislead with their human thinking?  If one were to present the long list of dates to the GB, what would they say?  Would they then describe all that "new light" as tacking?  Yep, no apologies needed.

Watchtower’s spirit “tacks” against the Spirit of the Father and Christ.

From the symbolic book of Revelation chapter 13:

“And I saw a beast coming up out of the sea. It had ten horns and seven heads. On its horns were ten crowns, and on its heads were blasphemous names”

The beast was given a mouth to utter boasts and blasphemies. It was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months. 6 It began to speak blasphemies against God: to blaspheme his name and his dwelling—those who dwell in heaven.  (comparing Ezekiel’s chariot to the organization – one example)

“And it was permitted to wage war against the saints and to conquer them. (Eph 6:12)  It was also given authority over every tribe, people, language, and nation.”

“Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth; it had two horns like a lamb, but it spoke like a dragon.” (False prophet)

“It exercises all the authority of the first beast on its behalf and compels the earth and those who live on it to worship the first beast, whose fatal wound was healed.”

The GB exercises authority – presently – over the organization’s direction, and fosters the idea that it is vital to revere, never disconnect from, praise the organization as the source of spiritual food. 

“It was permitted to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast could both speak and cause whoever would not worship the image of the beast to be killed.” 

Granted to this false prophet by the “dragon” is a spirit that is breathed into the beast from sea – the “spirit-directed organization”.  If we refuse to acknowledge the organization as salvation, bringing to attention its false teachings – past or present – we are “killed”.  Spiritually viewed as dead in God’s eyes.

John 16:1-3 - “I have told you these things to keep you from stumbling. 2 They will ban you from the synagogues (“congregations”) . In fact, a time is coming when anyone who kills you will think he is offering service to God. 3 They will do these things because they haven’t known the Father or me.”

I presented these scriptures to a JW just recently.  Her answer was very revealing:

“That scripture is about people who think they are Christian, and will turn against Jesus’ followers.”

That is, the essence of disfellowshipping Christ’s anointed ones and their brethren, for choosing to serve God and Christ with their whole heart, mind and soul,;and who believe in the light of Christ over the darkness of false teachings.   Deut 6:5; Mark 12:30; Luke 10:27

5 hours ago, Matthew9969 said:

Simply put....when the watchtower say's it has 'new light' on a matter, aka like with the overlapping generations doctrine, we do know it is not coming from the bible, it is coming from the one who transforms himself into light....satan the devil.

I do wish JWs could see this, how the organization teaches another gospel.  

“In the past, we thought that the great tribulation began in 1914 when World War I started. We thought that Jehovah “cut short” those days in 1918 when the war ended so that the remaining anointed ones on earth could preach the good news to all nations. (Matthew 24:21, 22) After that preaching work would be completed, we expected that Satan’s world would be destroyed. So we thought that there were three parts to the great tribulation. It would begin in 1914, it would be interrupted in 1918, and it would finish at Armageddon.”  Wt 13/7/15 

They gave the sheep wrong advice. 

How happy is the one who does not
walk in the advice of the wicked

or stand in the pathway with sinners
or sit in the company of mockers!

The word for “mockers” is “luwts” meaning,

ambassador, have in derision, interpreter, make a mock, mocker, scorn, talk arrogantly, teacher.

Basically this scripture is telling me, we are most happy staying away from a wicked, arrogant teacher, mockingly interpreting his own advice as “new light”, which describes the governing body – false ambassadors representing Christ.  (Matt 24:24; 2 Cor 5:20)

2 Instead, his delight is in the Lord’s instruction,
and he meditates on it day and night.

Hold a small piece of paper onto your bottom lip from both sides and purse your lips and blow over the top.

The higher velocity "wind" creates a low pressure area that sucks the paper closer to it. 

Blowing over the TOP of a piece of paper makes it go UP! ... not down.

This is an example of "Bernoulli's Principle"

Most people do NOT KNOW that the upper wing of an airplane is curved, so that the "wind" hitting the front edge of the wing HAS TO TRAVEL FASTER ... to meet that same slug of air at the back of the wing.

Aircraft are SUCKED UP, and that's what keeps them up.  ... same as the small piece of paper.

That is ALSO why a sailboat can sail at an angle INTO a wind ... the boat is being SUCKED forward by the low air pressure on the front of the sail.

.... NOT blown forward by any wind from behind.

I heard Brother Klein give this illustration about "a sailboat tacking into the wind" during his comments on the morning text at Brooklyn Bethel. (The text, comments and prayer at the breakfast meal at Bethel are called "morning worship.") You could sometimes get a hint of what article a brother in the Governing Body was working on by their morning text comments. Of course it could be a few months before you finally saw the article in print, although I worked in the Art Department and sometimes we'd see the articles in an unfinished state to begin working on artwork. The brother who got this article didn't realize that the illustration has much less application to big sailing ships like packet ships, clipper ships, and schooners. It's more applicable to sailboats where the force of drag on the keel doesn't cancel the force of the Bernoulli effect.

The final article was worded much better than the original comments by Brother Klein. In the original it was more like the spirit blows a certain way and you want to go exactly the opposite direction. It was easy to interpret him saying that Bible pushes you in one direction and you wish to explain how we ever got to a position that was exactly the opposite of the Bible. He didn't actually say that, but it was so easily confused that I never expected these comments to finally get into an actual Watchtower article. Also, Brother Klein gave too much attention to the ship's rudder which is also only a very small part of the effect. The wind force on a well-shaped sail really becomes about perpendicular (90 degrees) to the actual direction of the wind, so the rudder is important to maneuver at 45 degree angles against the wind in "tacking", but this isn't where the effect comes from. He described 45 degree angles as if they were all-important, but a good sailor/sail can use the effect without requiring such a large tacking angle. 

3 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

That is ALSO why a sailboat can sail at an angle INTO a wind ... the boat is being SUCKED forward by the low air pressure on the front of the sail.

Something just dawned on me from your comment.  Although, the organization says it is “spirit-directed”, this title was bestowed on it by its leaders.  Rev 13:11,13,14,15

12/1/1981 Wt.  However it may seem to some as though that path has not always gone straight forward.  At times explanations given by Jehovah’s visible organization have shown adjustments, seemingly to previous points of view.  But this has not actually been the case.  This might be compared to what is known in navigational circles as “tacking”.  By maneuvering the sails the sailors can cause a ship to go from right to left, back and forth, but all the time making progress toward their destination in spite of contrary winds.  And that goal in view for Jehovah’s servants is the “new heavens and a new earth” of God’s promise.

Those in control of the sails are the GB.  The spirit that leads them in such errors has already settled into the heart. Luke 6:45   In a sense, the “wind” begins as an external force but reaches into the mind and heart of the one maneuvering the organization, or “boat”.  Rev 13:11,1,2,4

If these men had the Spirit of Christ within them, the path taken would be straight.  Matt 3:3   To say their convincing lies will still lead one into God’s promise, is blasphemy.  Prov 2:10-17

Jesus said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.”  John 5:19

Also, the Spirit of God must remain in the heart of the anointed ones, otherwise they cannot be guided by Christ’s teachings, which hold the Spirit. John 6:63; 15:4; 5:38  They can fall from this grace, losing what they had initially received through the anointing, allowing another spirit to fills one’s heart, which Jesus showed us is evident by teachings.  John 15:5-8; Matt 7:15-20

Can those who contain this alternate spirit practice deceit without it?  They too, have a Father who infuses his will and direction into them.  Luke 4:7,8

“You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.”  John 8:44

Then Satan entered Judas, surnamed Iscariot, who was numbered among the twelve.  Luke 22:3

Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?” 71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.  John 6:70,71

New light and tacking, are just excuses for deceit and lies. They are derived from the resources of men, who do not hold God’s Spirit within their heart. Otherwise, there would be no list.     I stay with my thought that the Watchtower’s spirit is “tacking” against the Spirit of God and Christ.  Perhaps these are contrary winds they are speaking of.

11 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Aircraft

The flaps are on the plane (on wings), so that their pilot or pilots can lift  or put down the flaps. The engine power of the aircraft and the position of the flaps must be aligned so that the aircraft could to get up or down. My amateur knowledge. :))))) Engines of plane in this case producing "wind"and moves whole "organization" of plane stuff and passengers. Where they are going/flying now?

Wind in some bible terminology representing spirit. Spirit of person. God, devil, people. All of them producing some "winds" to blow. All of them have impact, influence, control on moving of our, their  "boat" or "plane" :)))  

22 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Hold a small piece of paper onto your bottom lip from both sides and purse your lips and blow over the top.

The higher velocity "wind" creates a low pressure area that sucks the paper closer to it. 

Blowing over the TOP of a piece of paper makes it go UP! ... not down.

This is an example of "Bernoulli's Principle"

Most people do NOT KNOW that the upper wing of an airplane is curved, so that the "wind" hitting the front edge of the wing HAS TO TRAVEL FASTER ... to meet that same slug of air at the back of the wing.

Aircraft are SUCKED UP, and that's what keeps them up.  ... same as the small piece of paper.

If you take a piece of paper and hold it with both hands very close together, put it between your lips and blow hard you can make an ear piercing scream.

On 1/30/2018 at 12:08 PM, JW Insider said:

Also, Brother Klein gave too much attention to the ship's rudder which is also only a very small part of the effect.

In reality that probably is true, but in the case of the Watchtower and its “sailors”, I tend to disagree. 

“Brothers and sisters, not many of you should become teachers. You know that we who teach will be judged more severely.

“ All of us make a lot of mistakes. If someone doesn’t make any mistakes when he speaks, he would be perfect. He would be able to control everything he does.  We put bits in the mouths of horses to make them obey us, and we have control over everything they do.  The same thing is true for ships. They are very big and are driven by strong winds. Yet, by using small rudders, pilots steer ships WHEREVER THEY WANT THEM TO GO.  In the same way the tongue is a small part of the body, but it can brag about doing important things.”

1972 "Of course, it is easy to say that this group acts as a 'prophet' of God. It is another thing to prove it. The only way that this can be done is to review the record. What does it show?" (Watchtower April 1, 1972, p. 197)

“A large forest can be set on fire by a little flame.  The tongue is that kind of flame. It is a world of evil among the parts of our bodies, and it completely contaminates our bodies. The tongue sets our lives on fire, and is itself set on fire from hell.  People have tamed all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and sea creatures.  Yet, no one can tame the tongue. It is an uncontrollable evil filled with deadly poison.”

“ With our tongues we praise our Lord and Father. Yet, with the same tongues we curse people, who were created in God’s likeness. “ Praise and curses come from the same mouth. My brothers and sisters, this should not happen!”

1968 "True, there have been those in times past who predicted an "end" to the world, even announcing a specific date. Yet nothing happened. The 'end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying. Why? What was missing? Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that He was using and guiding them.'' (Awake, Oct. 8, 1968)

“ Do clean and polluted water flow out of the same spring?  My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree produce olives? Can a grapevine produce figs? In the same way, a pool of salt water can’t produce fresh water.”  James 3:1-12