The World News Media

Do You Have Jealousy and Envy? ~ ????

Bible Speaks

Do You Have Jealousy and Envy?

????

A person who shows improper jealousy suspects others without adequate cause or resents the diversion to another of what he unjustifiably claims as his own.

An envious person discontentedly desires or covets the good fortune and attainments of others. 

A Trait That Can Poison Our Minds—Envy. Napoleon Bonaparte had it. Julius Caesar had it. Alexander the Great had it.

Despite all their power and glory, these men harbored in their heart a trait that can poison one’s mind. All three envied someone else. “Napoleon envied Caesar, Caesar envied Alexander [the Great], and Alexander, I daresay, envied Hercules, who never existed,” wrote English philosopher Bertrand Russell.

Envy can plague anyone, regardless of how much wealth he has, whatever virtues he possesses, and how successful he is in life. Envy is a feeling of resentment toward others because of their belongings, prosperity, advantages, and so forth. Distinguishing envy from jealousy, a Biblical reference work says: “‘Jealousy’ . . . refers to the desire to be as well off as another, and the word ‘envy’ refers to the desire to deprive another of what he has.”

Not only does the envious man begrudge what others have but he wants to take it from them. We are wise to examine how envy can arise in us and what its consequences are. Especially do we need to know what measures we can take to prevent envy from controlling our lives.

The fight against envy can be a long one. Cristina admits: “I still have a strong tendency toward envy. Even though I hate it, the feeling is there, and I have to suppress it constantly.” Envy is one of “the works of the flesh,” against which every Christian should fight. (Gal. 5:19-21)

By not allowing envy to control us, we can make our lives happier and can please our heavenly Father, Jehovah.

Lesson for today. (Gal 5:26) 

FDA2F6DA-03BA-4CAF-A954-3837580F2A23.jpeg

• Views 539
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Popular Posts

Do You Have Jealousy and Envy? ???? A person who shows improper jealousy suspects others without adequate cause or resents the diversion to another of what he unjustifiably claims as his own

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.