Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

TrueTomHarley -
TrueTomHarley -

Top Posters

4 hours ago, JW Insider said:

Your proofreader sounds like an editor, too. Hope all goes well with the book.

Will it be an e-book, like your others? If so, you should be able to take edits from readers on a forum such as this and incorporate them into any revisions, if necessary. 9_9  I expect it will already be in good shape. It sounded like you wanted to be extra careful and accurate.

Thanks. It actually is done, save for formatting and upload, and it is free. It includes links to my other two ebooks after the main text, in the 'About the Author' section, and those are not free. At some point I have to make a buck here somewhere if I do not want to spend my end of days at Mickey D's. Not that the day of reckoning is close at hand. it is not, but I want to keep it at bay as long as I can. It is the first I will get into print and that version will not be free. The Kindle version also probably not. I don't think they allow it. I've not done Amazon before, only Smashwords.

No Fake News was written in haste to support and draw into the first book, and i was shocked going back to see what a mess it was. I rewrote it. It is approximately one third original, one third reshuffled and tweaked, and one third already written pulled in from elsewhere. Some is brand new but not much. 

I do have an excellent person proofing who also makes observations that have proved most helpful.

I truly think they will both be up within a week. The Russian one I want to direct to places where I even think it could do some good.

Whoa! There's one. Here is why it pays to check your work just one final time:

The book will say: "Some recognized scholar of the greater world might submit a guest article on nearly any outlet, but it will not happen on RT.org. One must apply Christian principles in order to have a voice."

Um - you wanna make that JW.org? Because it is a book on the Russian situation, and I am a Witness, I am routinely using both, and here got them mixed up.

It sort of changes the meaning, doesn't it?

On 4/7/2018 at 12:52 PM, TrueTomHarley said:

The book is done and I am just awaiting a few ducks to fall into place. Meanwhile, tweaking is possible.

I have read the Introduction and the First Chapter of Tom Harley's book Dear Mr. Putin – Jehovah’s Witnesses Write Russia. (At smashwords.com). I have only skimmed some of the remaining portions. Unfortunately, I'm called to another project/assignment and won't get back to reading it for quite a while, so I wanted to say something here while it is fresh in mind.

I wanted to say that I really like the book. You, Tom, have been able to use a more serious tone but you were still true to your "natural" style, which is a great style for this subject, and for your other two books. I was very impressed with the fact that you tackled a subject as big as this without falling into the trap of Western superiority. On the other hand, moral superiority comes through, as it should, but without a self-righteous tone. You have even honestly admitted a few weaknesses of our organization without trying to sound as if you are somehow personally better or more insightful.

You make a good representative and it's an excellent defense of Witnesses. Most importantly, it relentlessly highlights the absurdity of our situation in Russia. Highly recommended.

2 hours ago, JW Insider said:

I have read the Introduction and the First Chapter of Tom Harley's book Dear Mr. Putin – Jehovah’s Witnesses Write Russia. (At smashwords.com). I have only skimmed some of the remaining portions. Unfortunately, I'm called to another project/assignment and won't get back to reading it for quite a while, so I wanted to say something here while it is fresh in mind.

I wanted to say that I really like the book. You, Tom, have been able to use a more serious tone but you were still true to your "natural" style, which is a great style for this subject, and for your other two books. I was very impressed with the fact that you tackled a subject as big as this without falling into the trap of Western superiority. On the other hand, moral superiority comes through, as it should, but without a self-righteous tone. You have even honestly admitted a few weaknesses of our organization without trying to sound as if you are somehow personally better or more insightful.

You make a good representative and it's an excellent defense of Witnesses. Most importantly, it relentlessly highlights the absurdity of our situation in Russia. Highly recommended.

Thanks for the kind words. The ebook version (which is all there is at present) is free and can be found here:

Hello guest!

The first one I told of the book was Chivchalov. I expected, at most, an 'attaboy,' but he retweeted on Twitter and shared on FB.

In response to an email, I answered in part:

I am glad if brothers like the book. But it is not primarily for them, but for others who can come up to speed and maybe even alleviate the situation.

I am taking several days to correct various typos and blips. As you know, it is almost impossible to proofread your own work, no matter how many times you read it, because you tend to read, not what is there, but what you think is there. All writing passed through some proofreaders and then a final self-check, but even they (and me again) missed things.

None are consequential. The book is fine and probably potent for distribution as is. But it is not perfect. I will do corrects before I try to pump it to journalists and others. It will never be 'perfect.' I am too inconsistent myself with things like quote marks, sometimes opting for single marks, other times double, for reasons that change and can best be attributed to my own wishy-washyness. Dashes vs semi-colons are inconsistent, too. For now, everyone can probably live with it.

2 hours ago, JW Insider said:

You make a good representative and it's an excellent defense of Witnesses. Most importantly, it relentlessly highlights the absurdity of our situa?tion in Russia. Highly recommended.

Oh, and the inside scoop on all ebook or print authors is that they positively grovel for online reviews.

grovel.jpg

photo: Business Insider

The ebook is written but that does not mean it cannot, being an ebook, be tweaked after date of delivery. Other than for matters of publication, I will do this very sparingly, for it seems that more would be 'cheating.' I did find a way of explaining neutrality that i like, however, and I managed to insert it:

"All human governments will drop the ball and usually it is a bowling ball; this fact explains why many of Jehovah’s Witnesses become JehovahÂ’s Witnesses in the first place. Thereafter, were they individually to contemplate their own toes, they might conclude that those on their right or left foot appear most vulnerable. But they strive not to bring such matters into the congregation and thus disturb its peace, opting instead to focus on the fact that human governments of all stripes drop the ball but GodÂ’s kingdom does not."

Speaking of punctuation, I am coming to grips with the fact that I am inconsistent in their use. One must not blow it off as nothing (as I am initially inclined to do) but one must face the fact that there are plenty of people who care about such things

Sometimes I use double quotes, sometimes single. Sometimes put titles in apostrophies, sometimes not. Dashes I regard as the tool of the lazy devil, who can't quite figure out the precise relationship of two adjacent phrases and so simply flings a dash at the mess to get it out of his hair. I'll go back in and fix it all. It will take a while.

I will try to get it as close to exact as I can before pitching it to journalists, newsmakers and such.

Hello guest!

4 hours ago, Nana Fofana said:

ouch.

Probably I should have cleaned all that stuff up before release. I got impatient. The writing is fine, at least as fine as I can make ti. Punctuation is another matter.

I am going through it all - it will take a while - to clean that stuff up. it actually is not that hard when you focus on it. It is just tedious. These things should improve on a daily basis.

2 hours ago, Nana Fofana said:

That you can even articulate the 'dash' problem with that much precision is mysterious and impressive to me.   :_(

I am very proud to say that I like everything about @TrueTomHarley. In fact, to say I am a sycophant of him is to sell me short.

I find him - well, 'dashing.'

3 hours ago, Nana Fofana said:

Evidently just one of the occupational hazards in the True Tom Harley game ! 

O.K., out of pity for your boredom with the sycophancy, I guess I can -grudgingly-  set aside my worship long enough to point out-

hoose·gow
ˈho͞osɡou/
noun
NORTH AMERICANinformal
  1. a prison.

When I was back on that page, anyway, I think you had "hoosecow" instead.
    [unless maybe u meant as inside joke on 'the 'goyim' or something?]

Your wish is my command. It is done. Download it anew to see.

Like a Russian artison with matryoshka dolls, I have encapsuled double within single quotes within double quotes. Like a scientist with CRISPR technology, I have stretched out some dashes and truncated others. Like a proctologist, I have operated on colons, making some periods, commas and dashes - and snipping some out altogether. 

Whew

Finally the book is ready and all bugs are out.

800px-DGJ_4705_-_Russian_Matryoshka_(4312413546).jpg

The book quotes a few times, not often, from Watchtower publications. Technically that makes it extremist and it can be like the broken tail light the cop stops you for as a pretext to making more serious trouble.

Hence there is an identical 2nd version for anyone who wants to avoid the problem with all such quotes replaced with 'redacted' or 'redacted for reader safety' or the like. Both are found at

Hello guest!

Enjoy.

The stopgap measure will only apply to Russia, because anywhere else you can read a Watchtower quotation without being thought extremist. And since relatively few Russians speak English anyway, the release of the 2nd Dear Mr. Putin is mostly symbolic. The book covers are identical, save only for the message in the orange ball. (below)

Not only does the new version not violate any extremist law (unless and until the book itself is declared extremist) but it serves to highlight the silliness of it all, for context nearly always indicates that the eliminated quotes are perfectly innocuous. However, every effort is made to be deeply respectful of the government. In no way could this be described as a protest book. It also strives to relate things from a Russian perspective.

Dear Mr Putin (1) (1).jpg

Dear Mr Putin Russian edition.jpg

Kermit Way from the book Tom Irregardless and Me was a real person, referred to by his real name. At his funeral it was said that, not only was he a gentleman, but also that he was a gentle man. It was true. A more refreshing person would be hard to find.

Kermit is the one who successfully dissuades a brother from using the word 'Irregardless.' This also is true. He told the account to me, and I am the one who unsuccessfully, 30 years later, tried to get someone else to stop saying it.

Alas, unlike in Kermit's day, the word WAS found in the dictionary. True, it was labeled 'irregular,' but that was a point far too subtle for the one I was speaking with. #TomIrregardless

Unexpectedly, jw-russia.org was removed from the list of banned extemism sites. It had only been on it for three months. it is a news-only site.

Practically speaking, this means that I can restore all the deletions made from that source in the 'extremist free' version of 'Dear Mr. Putin - Jehovah's Witnesses Write Russia.'

Hello guest!

The original is still risky, though, as there are a few quotes from Watchtower publications. Mostly, though, both books confine themselves to purely secular sources. Both are free and it is hoped that they may somehow influence things for the better.

Okay, do I understand this correctly? Dennis Christensen presided over a Bible study meeting at a Kingdom Hall in Russia one year ago. He has been jailed for a year in pre-trial detention, after police broke in with SWAT team gear to arrest him. Several motions to have him released on his own recognizance have proved unsuccessful and bank accounts have been frozen, leaving his wife to fend for herself. Only now, after a year in prison, is his

Hello guest!
, having been postponed several times.

And…a key prosecution witness is an individual who will testify out of sight, his or her voice garbled by electronic means. Are you kidding me? For a Bible teacher? Is it prosecution theatrics to plant the notion that Jehovah’s Witnesses are as dangerous as the mob?

And then…more evidence that this escalation is unheard of, at least in the Orel court, it turns out that no one knows how to make the machine do what it is supposed to. The witness’s testimony is garbled to such an extent that nobody could understand it, and the trial was postponed until they either got someone who knew what he was doing or brought in a better machine. “Try speaking in syllables,” the judge (or someone) had said, but it was no good.

Look, you want to fear the authorities, “for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword,” and it sure has been bearing it lately with Jehovah’s Witnesses, the subject of numerous SWAT team searches in various parts of Russia. One tries not to invoke images of Boris and Natashia from Bullwinkle, but with reports like these it is hard to banish the thought.

Prosecutors attempted to restrict news media coverage to the trial. But Dennis doesn’t see himself as a criminal and stated such secrecy would impede a fair trial. The judge agreed with this and denied the motion of the prosecution.

Hello guest!

Hello guest!

After three books, you would think I would have learned not to release them prematurely. You would think I would learn that reading them through a few times and handing them to proof-readers is not enough. I think this book needed more corrections than the other two combined. Maybe because it was more ambitious. Maybe because most paragraphs weren’t written concurrently and many first appeared somewhere else in modified form. Even the ’extremism free’ version fell short of its goal. I have fixed it.

It’s embarrassing. And I apologize to whoever downloaded it. I got impatient, is all I can say. Download it again, if you will. The price is the same: free. All errors are out, and most were not really errors in the first place, but just clunky expressions or oddball punctuation that I brought under control.

Hmm. Is there a search tool that looks for ending a sentence with a preposition? I still have a few of those, but other than an English teaching harrumphing over it, the sin is not that great. And the education chapter strikes me as a little too unfocused. But overall, I am happy with Dear Mr. Putin, and whoever has downloaded it, I invite them to do it again.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.