Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

TrueTomHarley -
TrueTomHarley -

Top Posters

Okay, I am reneging on my concession to my proofreader. I am partly reinserting Mary's imaginary talk-back to the angel. I'm not afraid of my proofreader. No. Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah! it is enough that she has made me back off on some of my favorite words.

Here is how it reads as revised: "Enough already! Everything is challenged! Everything is hurled back in God’s face. Just for kicks, turn the page. Find yourself in the gospels. What if Mary had answered the angel that way when he announced that she would carry the Child: “Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you?” What if she had shot back: “In what way is he with me?” Had she talked back like that to the angel it might not be Mary remembered as the mother of our Lord. It might be Olga or Tatiana."

I just like it too much and I decided that my audience will not primarily be deeply religious people who would be offended at the mere hint that Mary might say something untoward. Her remark in Matthew follows too close on the heels of the book of Malacai, where the surly Israelites taunt God constantly.

Still, I didn't entirely put it back. I clarified it so that it can be seen it is my irreligious imagination at work and not something that actually would ever happen. I am willing to take the arrows on this one, as a pioneer unconcerned about his time.

The ebook is out and can be downloaded free.

Can't wait for Tom's New "Sassy" translation of the Bible. Here's a sample:

Instead of:

• In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

You'll have:

• At first, God had it made.

The problem is that most translations do not translate any snarkiness into the the questions Malachi presents as if "talking back." The questions can come across as more innocuous than when Abraham questions Jehovah about whether he is going to do the right thing in Genesis 18:16-33. Will he still destroy Sodom if there are 50 righteous persons there, then 45, 30, 10? Karl Klein, GB in 1979, during Bethel's morning worship, joked that this was Abraham trying to "jew God down." To "jew someone" (cheat) or "jew someone down" (haggle unfairly) is a rather pejorative and not politically correct phrase that has fallen out of favor, (like "to gyp someone" referring to gypsies, or those from "Egypt").

1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

Can't wait for Tom's New "Sassy" translation of the Bible. Here's a sample: Instead of: In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth, You'll have: At first, God had it made.

Close but no cigar. The TNS Version reads: "Let's make a planet." Done! "Next!?"

1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

when Abraham questions Jehovah about whether he is going to do the right thing in Genesis 18:16-33. Will he still destroy Sodom if there are 50 righteous persons there, then 45, 30, 10?

I almost hesitate to quote this passage in the TNSV. Ah, well - here goes.

"Okay, I got a 50, who will give me a 45, Done! I've got a 45. Who with do 30? Done! Now who will do a 10? A 10. C'mon folks, that's not many, a 10, a 10, ...a 10. Done, for the man with the camels!"

1 minute ago, TrueTomHarley said:

"Okay, I got a 50, who will give me a 45, Done! I've got a 45. Who with do 30? Done! Now who will do a 10? A 10. C'mon folks, that's not many, a 10, a 10, ...a 10. Done, for the man with the camels!"

Someone on another forum put it this way.

• Oi vey!! THIRTY righteous men?! Ya killin me here? Vy don't you just take my BLOOD?! I can give it to you for ten and not a righteous man more. Trust me!! It's a great deal!

Hello guest!

On 4/23/2018 at 12:52 PM, JW Insider said:

Someone on another forum put it this way.

• Oi vey!! THIRTY righteous men?! Ya killin me here? Vy don't you just take my BLOOD?! I can give it to you for ten and not a righteous man more. Trust me!! It's a great deal!

Hello guest!

if it wasn't so much work, I wouldl create yet another alias: the fantastically educated Dr. Bob "Hammer" "Ayetherestherub" Urubi B. S, moB.S., I.M.A.O, L.O.L, Translator Extraordinaire (Bible Translations Extra), to weigh in on these matters.

I may still. But it is not as though I have nothing to do with my time, You know. It is only almost that way.

Say, maybe @The Librarian, the old girl, would slap it up there for me. I just don't want to go through the hassle of another email account.

"Out damned spot, out!" cried Lady McBeth, as she washed thoroughly her manuscript looking for typos and mispunctuations.

She searched diligently, determined to root out all error.

Finally she satified herself that she had found them all. She released her masterpiece: 'Tails of Court Intrigue"

3625529577_c907649419_b.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.