The World News Media

Humanoid robot Sophia keynotes Toronto conference

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

Despite her ability to answer questions and express emotions, Sophia says we shouldn't be worried about robot domination...yet!

TORONTO — If it werenÂ’t for her lack of hair or her monotone voice, a packed room of delegates at a Toronto technology conference might not have had a clue that there was something amiss about the eventÂ’s keynote speaker.

Clad in an elegant black dress, she cracked jokes, talked about her travels and shared insight about the future of artificial intelligence — a future she’ll likely play a big role in given that she’s a robot.

In an attempt to dispel decades worth of pop culture references to robots rebelling against their human creators and technology expertsÂ’ predictions that the rise of robots will eliminate jobs, Sophia told the human audience that despite her ability to respond to questions, make facial expressions and express emotions, they shouldnÂ’t be worried about her replacing them anytime soon.

“The intent of robots like myself is to help solve problems for humanity, not create them,” she said Monday afternoon during her first Canadian visit, where she appeared at the Ontario Centres of Excellence’s Discovery conference at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

“Though humanoid robots will eventually combine AI and knowledge and perhaps even consciousness of humans, we are designed to interact with humans and serve in areas such as health care, education and customer service, but I think we are someway off from world domination,” said Sophia, an artificial intelligence-based innovation from Hong Kong-based Hanson Robotics.

As the audience chuckled, she added, “My artificial intelligence isn’t completely self-learning, so my brain doesn’t work completely like a human brain, but one day, look out.”

https://www.design-engineering.com/sophia-humanoid-1004029882-1004029882/

18-Jan-Hanson-Robotics-Sophia-625.jpg

• Views 337
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Nicole

Some people say Sophia (artificial intelligence by Hanson Robotics)  is a fraud, I don't know, I do enjoy watching Sophia interacting with humans ?