Jack Ryan

• Views 354
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ooooh! Makes me feel so old! I used to call everyone auntie or uncle, and then I myself got called auntie by the younger ones...that was 20 years ago.....I guess times change...

16 hours ago, Jack Ryan said:

in the UK they usually just call everyone by their first names?

Depends on your experience. When inviting comments in a meeting setting,  I would say that from the plat form, second names are frequently used in the UK, usually preceded by the title Brother or Sister, but not as a constant feature. Second names may also be used particularly when the audience member and platform brother are not well-acquainted, or there is a considerable age difference. with younger brothers often referring to an older one as Brother or Sister (surname).Sometimes,  it may just be a memory issue as to which end of a person's name is used.

But Informally, it is a different matter. First names are frequently used when on friendly terms with each other without the preceding title. However, respect for elders, both in a spiritual and physical context, also has a bearing with the title being used as a mark of respect even when the older person insisits that their first name is used. So, using an older persons first name is by no means universally customary in the UK, even in an informal seting

In fact, in cities, commonly cultural melting pots, it is not uncommon for younger ones to refer to older ones as Aunty or Uncle.  

5 hours ago, Gone Away said:

Second names

Hahaha, when I ask "what's so and so's second name?", here in America, they look at me funny. Here it's called "the last name" . I guess because so many have middle names, so they get confused xD.

5 hours ago, Gone Away said:

it is not uncommon for younger ones to refer to older ones as Aunty or Uncle.

Yes, that's sooo British

6 hours ago, Gone Away said:

Bit archaic for today's British.

Ooooh! Makes me feel so old! I used to call everyone auntie or uncle, and then I myself got called auntie by the younger ones...that was 20 years ago.....I guess times change...

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.