By The Librarian
“IRS rules dictate that a nonprofit organization must carry out charitable activity that is “commensurate in scope with its financial resources” to maintain its tax-exempt status. No threshold for this test is specified, and the agency instead considers examples case by case.“
By Jack Ryan
Didn’t Joseph Smith send the very first couple of missionaries away on missions so he could have sex with their wives?
Did Jesus really say He was God?
That’s exactly how Jesus’ original audience seemed to take it when He said, “I and the Father are one.” In fact, the Jews were ready to kill Him right there! Why? “Because you,” they said, “a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33).
On another occasion, He used the personal name of Israel’s God–the name revealed to Moses (Exodus 3:14)–to refer to Himself. And He even used the Torah for context, so no one would misunderstand Him: “Before Abraham was, I AM” (John 8:58). This would be about wild as telling a Muslim, “I am your God, Allah.” Don’t try that in Saudi Arabia! It’s no wonder the Jews tried to stone Him to death. That was the exact penalty for blasphemy under the Jewish legal system. It was pretty clear to everyone there that He was saying, “I am Israel’s God.”
Why Jesus is God? The Apostle Thomas called Jesus God.John 20:27-29: 2. The Apostle Peter called Jesus God.2 Peter 1:1: 3.The Apostle John called Jesus God.John 1:1-3, 4.God the Father called Jesus God.Hebrews 1:8: 5. God the Father called Jesus God. 6.Isaiah the Prophet said the Messiah would be God.Isaiah 9:67. The Jews who crucified Jesus understood Him to be saying that He was equal with God.John 5:18: 8.Jesus called Himself "I AM", the Old Testament name for God (Exodus 3:14).John 8:58-59. 9.Jesus calls Himself "the Alpha and Omega," the title of Almighty God.Revelation 22:12-13. 10. Like God (Gen. 1:1) Jesus created.Colossians 1:16-1711. Like God, Jesus forgives sin.Mark 2:5-7, 10-11:12. Like God, Jesus gives eternal life.John 10:27-28: 13. Like God, Jesus received, receives and will receive worship.Matthew 14:32-33. 14. Jesus said that only God was good; and Jesus was good. John 10:11: "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep."John 10:11: "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep."Jesus was as good as they come. He was "sinless," "holy," "righteous," "innocent," "undefiled," and "separate from sinners." (Hebrews 7:26) That's pretty good! 15. Like God, Jesus can be present in more than one place at the same time.Matthew 18:20: 16. One of Jesus' titles is "God with us."Matthew 1:23. 17. Jesus' blood is called God's blood.Acts 20:28: 18. Jesus has the same nature as God.Hebrews 1:3a: 19. Jesus spoke as God.Jesus did not speak as one of God's prophets: "thus says the Lord," but as God: "I say to you."Matthew 5:27-29. 20. Like God (Psalm 136:3), Jesus is called the Lord of Lords and King of kings.Revelation 17:14. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn. ( WHEN WAS GOD PIERCED? ). And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach even to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel (means God Among Us).
John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
John 1:14, "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."
John 8:58 "Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am." Crossreference with Exodus 3:14 "And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."
John 10:33 "The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God."
John 20:28 "And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God."
Collossians 2:9 "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily."
Hebrews 1:8 "But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: "
Matthew 4:10 "Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Crossreference with Matthew 2:2, Matthew 2:11, Matthew 28:9.
Isaiah 44:6 "Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God." Crossreference with Revelation 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he." and Revelation 1:8 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty."
2Peter. Jehovah The Father appears.
John 1. Jehovah the son.
John 8:58 Jesus identifies Himself as Jehovah "I Am"
Acts 5. Jehovah the Holy Spirit identified.
JOSEPH SMITH’S CLAIMS EXAMINED
No 1820 Revival; 1st Vision Unreliable
Joseph Smith alleged that because of a revival in 1820 in the vicinity of Palmyra, NY, he went to the woods to pray for guidance as to which church he should join. He claimed that two glowing personages appeared to him and told him to join none of them, as they were all wrong, their creeds an abomination and their professors corrupt.
There is no evidence from the churches of Palmyra that there was a revival in 1820. Baptismal records show that there was a revival 4 years later in 1824, but this destroys the chronology established by Smith as recorded in official church history.
There are also problems with his first vision story:
Â• Â Â Â The official version was not recorded until 18 years after the event supposedly occurred.Â
Â• Â Â Â There is no mention of it in Oliver CowderyÂ’s history of the Latter Day Saint movement written in 1834 under SmithÂ’s supervision.Â
Â• Â Â Â In 1828, Smith attempted to join the Methodist church, a direct violation of the command heÂ
allegedly received from God 8 years earlier.
But most troubling of all, is the fact that early church publications and records document at least 6 distinctly different versions of his first vision. The differing versions contradict each other in regard to SmithÂ’s age, the reason he went to the woods to pray, the number and identity of the personages who appeared to him, and most notably, the message he received.
BOM not Translation
Joseph Smith claimed that he translated the text of the Book of Mormon from gold plates through the Urim and Thummin by the power of the Holy Spirit. The title page of the Book of Mormon published today contains the words Â“Translated by Joseph Smith.Â” This is a core belief of his followers.
You will be shocked to learn that the above account did not happen. According to the witnesses present in the room when Joseph Smith was dictating the text of
the Book of Mormon, Â“Joseph Smith would put the seer stone into a hat, and put his face in the hat, drawing it closely around his face to exclude the light.Â” (quote David Whitmer)
The gold plates were under a cloth or hidden in the woods and were not used directly in the creation process. Other witnesses included Emma Smith, Martin Harris, Oliver
Cowdery, Isaac Hale and Michael Morse (Joseph SmithÂ’s brother in law).
These details do not contradict the statements by the 11 witnesses. The unavoidable conclusion is, the Book of Mormon is not a Â“translationÂ” within the commonly held meaning of that word.
No BOM Archeology
No person mentioned in the Book of Mormon has ever been identified in the ancient archeology of the Americas. No place mentioned in that book has ever been located geographically.
The language referenced in the Book of Mormon is Reformed Egyptian and no evidence for that language has been found anywhere on the earth. No event mentioned in the Book of Mormon has been confirmed from any objective source.
Many objects mentioned in the Book of Mormon (e.g. steel, coins, wheels, swords, horses, Christian or Hebrew artifacts) have not been confirmed with archeology. Many objects and customs that archeology confirms did exist during that time period (e.g. obsidian, human sacrifice, dogs as food, adobe brick, terrace farming, hieroglyphics, cotton, tobacco) are not mentioned in the Book of Mormon. In contrast, hundreds of archeological findings support the accuracy of the Bible.
Archeologists and researchers who have examined Book of Mormon claims have rejected its validity. Thomas Stuart Ferguson, Dan Vogel, Dee Green, Michael Coe and the Smithsonian Institute have all issued statements denying the historicity of the Book of Mormon.
DNA Refutes BOM
In 1830, Joseph Smith presented the Book of Mormon to the world, declaring it to be the most correct of any book on earth. It has been promoted for the past 174 years by his followers, not only as a scriptural supplement to the Bible, but also as a literal history of the ancestors of the American Indians.
Joseph Smith taught that Native Americans were actually descendants of Jews who had traveled to the Americas in three migrations; the first at the time of the Tower of Babel, the last two, approximately 600 BC
However, recent DNA analysis of American Indians from more than 150 tribes, both ancient and present-day, reveals that Joseph SmithÂ’s claims have no basis in fact. Of the thousands of Native Americans tested, 99.4% were of North East Asian descent, while the remaining 0.6% were of African and European descent.
No DNA evidence supports Joseph SmithÂ’s assertion that American Indians are of Jewish or Hebrew descent.
BOM Text Impossible
The Book of Mormon text contains logical impossibilities. The Book of MormonÂ’s Old Testament portion (BMOT) quotes heavily from the New Testament of the Bible. There are at least 185 quotations and 2,500 unique vocabulary words from the New Testament in the BMOT such as: Â“Bible,Â” Â“Jesus,Â” Â“Christ,Â” Â“ChristianÂ” and Â“baptismÂ”.
These New Testament words do not appear in the Old Testament of the Bible but they do appear in the BMOT. It is impossible to quote a text 600 years before it came into existence.
Similarly, circa 550 BC, Nephi quoted four verses from the Book of Malachi over 100 years before they were written, circa 425 BC. Since these verses were not
In 1826 at Bainbridge, New York, Joseph Smith was arrested, tried and convicted of the crime of Â“glass looking,Â” an occult practice similar to crystal ball gazing. This trial was the direct result of SmithÂ’s attempt to find buried treasure for Josiah Stowell, for a fee, with the use of a seer stone.
For many years, followers of Joseph Smith denied the reports of those present at the trial and accused them of being SmithÂ’s enemies. Court documents including a bill of costs from Justice Albert Neely have now been found that confirm that the trial occurred and that Joseph was convicted of the crime of Â“glass looking.Â”
The significance of this conviction is more than the fact that Joseph Smith was convicted of a crime. The described use of the seer stone is eerily similar to the method Joseph Smith actually used in creating the Book of Mormon as described herein.
Smith and Polygamy
On July 12, 1843, in Nauvoo, Illinois, Joseph Smith allegedly received a revelation commanding the practice of polygamy, which he labeled celestial marriage. His diary contains the following entry, Â“I received the following revelation in the presence of my brother Hyram and Elder William Clayton.Â”
Excerpts from the revelation read, Â“Â…I [the Lord] reveal unto you a new and everlasting covenant and if ye abide not in that covenant, then are ye damned; for no one can reject this covenant and be permitted to enter into my gloryÂ…If ye abide in my covenantÂ…then shallÂ…[ye] be Gods.Â”
William Clayton, SmithÂ’s personal secretary, recorded the following, Â“I did write the revelation on celestial marriage given through the prophet Joseph Smith, on 12th of July, 1843.Â” Many sworn testimonies given by those living in Nauvoo at the time the revelation was made public, verify the fact that Joseph Smith not only gave this revelation but also practiced polygamy himself.
Two Invalid Priesthoods
The Bible speaks of three priesthoods: the Aaronic, the Melchizedek and the Royal Priesthood of All Believers.
The Aaronic priesthood consisted of priests and a single high priest. It was instituted by God in the Old Testament to be a mediator between God and man, with the high priest offering sacrifices for the sins of the people. This priesthood was made obsolete with the death of Christ on the cross, since he was the last sacrifice for sin and the new mediator between God and man. Neither the Bible nor church history records the existence of the Aaronic priesthood in the New Testament Christian church. Any attempt to Â“restoreÂ” this priesthood shows contempt for ChristÂ’s sacrifice.
The Melchizedek priesthood was unique. The Bible records it being held by only two people, Melchizedek in the Old Testament and Jesus Christ in the New Testament. No evidence exists of any other person holding this priesthood. Â“Every reference in the Bible to a Melchizedek priesthood is in reference to the specific and unique ministry which Jesus Christ alone fulfills as GodÂ’s chosen means of salvation for his people.Â” (Paul Trask)
The Royal priesthood consists of all born-again believers who make up the body of Christ, with Jesus as their great high priest. He is the only high priest for the Christian church. Because he will never die, his high priest status can never be transferred to another. Any attempt to appropriate ChristÂ’s high priest title or ministry to oneself usurps His unique title and function and constitutes blasphemy. Consequently, Joseph SmithÂ’s priesthood system, which includes multiple high priests, is heretical.
Of the three biblical priesthoods, Joseph Smith included in his church the two that are unavailable to Christians Â– The Aaronic and the Melchizedek. Tragically, he ignored the only priesthood that is available to Christians, the Royal Priesthood.
Salvation By Works
In over 30 LDS scripture passages Smith altered the requirements for salvation. He said, Â“ye are justified by faith and works through graceÂ” (Rom. 4:16 Insp. Ver.) and Â“if ye keep the commandments of God ye shall be saved.Â” (Mosiah 7:94 BOM)
The Bible says, Â“Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us.Â” Titus 3:5. The Bible doctrine of salvation may be summarized as: we are saved from sin and death through faith in the grace of Jesus by his sacrifice for us on the cross -- and that alone.
Churches that remain connected to Joseph Smith do not teach the essentials of the Christian faith. Salvation by works is neither Biblical nor effective. If a church does not teach the Christian doctrine of salvation its members will be confused. They might perceive wrongfully that God has abandoned them. We are never good enough to merit GodÂ’s love and can only obtain GodÂ’s acceptance through JesusÂ’ atonement for our sins, which is the basis for our salvation.
We understand what you may be feeling after reading the facts above. The fear and turmoil you may be experiencing is temporary. As former followers of Joseph Smith we have found Jesus is the only Faithful Shepherd. The broken-hearted can turn to Him for comfort.
It is our prayer that you will know the truth because the truth will set you free. If you are a follower of Joseph Smith who cares about the truth, you will surely be disturbed as you confirm the facts above. You may want to deny the evidence. The allegations here are too serious not to be tested.
If you discover this ad is true, you may feel that you have wasted your life. But you havenÂ’t, if you make sure you follow Jesus, not Joseph. You may be angry with us but we are only telling you the truth.
You may experience pain about the loss of identity and heritage. Jesus will never forsake you. He will send you the Holy Comforter. He will give you new friends. You may feel guilt at your part in the perpetuation of a false system. Fear not -- Jesus can make you new and clean, but you must let the sin cease. In all religious experience, only Jesus is real. If you seek him, you will find him Â— it will be worth the cost.
In the original edition of the Book of Mormon, there is much evidence of fraud—that is, the use of words, phrases, and sentences that reveal an obvious attempt to deceive. Instances of this are so numerousand so blatant they cannot be ignored. The following provide just a few examples.
• Alma 37:38, dated at 73 B.C., speaks of the people using a “compass.” However, such an instrument was NOT invented until about A.D. 1100. How could there be a divinely inspired translation of a word describing something that did not exist? This is a mark of fraud.
• 1 Nephi 18:25, dated at 589 B.C., speaks of “horses” and “asses.” But, these animals were unknown in the Western Hemisphere until the Spaniards introduced them about 450 years ago.
Can anyone honestly believe that such a bungled mistake occurred as a result of divine revelation?
• Ether 9:19 speaks of “elephants” being in America when the Jaredites arrived, which was supposed to have been around 2250 B.C. However, it is a well-known fact that elephants were not native to America. To suggest that they were is absurd, and proves the Book of Mormon to be erroneous. If someone were to argue that elephants might possibly have been brought to America in the Jaredites’ boats, such an argument could be disproved easily since elephants were not native to Bible lands either.
• Surprising as it may seem, no less than six times the Book of Mormon employs the abbreviation
“&c” (and so forth), a usage peculiar to the nineteenth century (subtitle of 2 Nephi; Jacob 1:11;
Mosiah 8:8; 23:5; Alma 3:5). It can hardly be suggested that such a symbol is a “translation” from ancient writings. This kind of mistake is clear and compelling evidence of the recent origin of the book.
• In Jacob 7:27, the French word adieu occurs. But how could a modern French word have found its way into those ancient plates? This is additional evidence of fraud, and presents grounds for rejecting the Book of Mormon.
• In Jacob 3:11 and Mosiah 29:14, the word “faculties” appears. However, this is a term dating back no earlier than middle English. Strange, indeed, that it would be “translated” from a word on an ancient plate dating over 1,000 years earlier.
• 2 Nephi 29:3 reads, “A Bible, A Bible, we have got a Bible...” This statement is made in reference tothe Jewish Old Testament, which is dated at about 550 B.C. However, the word “Bible” is the English transliteration of the Greek term “biblos,” which came into use over 1,500 years later. In using the word “Bible,” the writer of the Book of Mormon made a serious blunder that shows the book to be of recent origin and, hence, fraudulent in its claims.
• 3Nephi 15:21 is a word-for-word quote of John 10:16 (from the King James Version). However, this version is somewhat less than 400 years old. And, to make matters worse, the Book of Mormon even quotes the italicized word “and” that was supplied by the King James translators. Here, the writer of the Book of Mormon unwittingly demonstrates his work to be plagiarism.
• The entire fourteenth chapter of Mosiah, made up of 12 verses, is a duplication of Isaiah 53:1-12.
Interestingly, all eleven of the italicized words in the King James text are quoted, yet none is placed in italics, which indicates that the writer of the Book of Mormon apparently was unaware that the KJV translators used italics to highlight words that were not in the original manuscripts employed in the translation process. Thus, Mosiah 14 had to have been copied from the King James Bible.
• Moroni 7:45, which is a quotation of 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 in the King James Version, is another example of fraud. In citing this verse, the writer included the italicized word “easily” (“...is not easily provoked”). However, the word “easily” is not in the original, but was placed there (incorrectly) by the King James translators. [It is omitted, correctly, from later versions.]
That the writer included this word shows that Moroni 7:45 was copied from the KJV.
• In 2 Nephi 31:13 and other places, reference is made to the “Holy Ghost.” But, the term “ghost” did not come into use until many hundreds of years after the Book of Mormon was supposed to have been inscribed on ancient plates. That the writer borrowed this from the King James Bible is indisputable.
• The word “baptism” is found in 2 Nephi 31:13 and other places. But this cannot be an actual translation of a word found on ancient plates, because “baptism” is a transliteration of the Greek word baptisma, and was peculiar to the King James Version. This word is clearly a copy of an early English term, demonstrating again the fraudulent nature of the Book of Mormon.
• The word “epistle” in 3 Nephi 3:5 is an obvious copy from the King James Version. Like baptism, the word “epistle” (epistolos) was left in its original Greek form, but given an English ending. This shows the writer of the Book of Mormon was not very careful in selecting his words.
• The words “alpha” and “omega” appear in 3 Nephi 9:18. These, of course, are the English spellings of Greek words found in the Bible (Revelation 1:8; 21:6; 22:13). Since the Book of Mormon was not recorded in Greek, why were these words used? The simple fact is, they were copied from the King James Version.
• 3 Nephi 20:23-26, dated at A.D. 34, refers to Moses’ prophecy about the Christ (Deuteronomy
18:15,18-19). However, the writer unwittingly used Peter’s New Testament paraphrase of this
prophecy (Acts 2:22-26), which was not written until around A.D. 63. This was almost 30 years too soon, and thus proves the Book of Mormon is a hoax.
• In the Book of Mormon there are numerous instances where the writer uses words that were not relevant to his time. Rather, these are words peculiar to the English spoken in the early 1600s (“prayest,” “durst,” “thou,” “thee,” “thy,” “thine,” “hast,” “doth,” “knoweth,” “hearest,” “cometh,” “thirsteth,” etc.). Did God really select these words for the Book of Mormon? This obviously shows the writer’s exposure to King James terminology. [NOTE: Scores of passages in the Book of Mormon, either in part or whole, exact or paraphrased, have been taken directly from the King James Version.
Some researchers have estimated that as much as 4% can be traced to this English translation.]
These examples, and others too numerous to list here, clearly illustrate that the Book of Mormon is not a translation from ancient plates, but is instead of rather recent origin and therefore fraudulent in its claims of antiquity.
Biblical Jesus Vs. Mormon Jesus.
Simply believing in someone named Jesus means NOTHING unless we are talking about the historic, Biblical Jesus.
The apostle Paul warns us in 2 Corinthians 11:4 — there are some who preach a different Jesus.
- The Bible teaches that Jesus has always existed as God (John 1:1). Mormons see Jesus as someone who worked His way up to godhood. In fact, to Mormons, Jesus is merely one in purpose with God the Father; whereas the Bible declares that the Father and the Son are also one in essence (cf. Phil. 2:6) — that they are both equally God and members of the Holy Trinity.
- The Bible says Jesus was begotten by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:34-5. Is. 7:14. Matt. 1:18,20. Mormons see Jesus as being CREATED by sexual relations between God the father and mary. "The birth of the Savior was as natural as are the births of our children; it was the result of natural action. He partook of flesh and blood---was begotten of his Father as we were of our fathers" (Journal of Discourses vol.8, p.115); and "when the Virgin Mary conceived the child Jesus, the Father had begotten him in his own likeness [flesh and blood]. He was not begotten by the Holy Ghost" (Journal of Discourses, vol.1, p.50). "I will say that I was naturally begotten; so was my father, and also my Savior Jesus Christ...he is the first begotten of his father in the flesh, and there was nothing unnatural about it" (Journal of Discourses vol.8, p.211); "Now remember from this time forth, and for ever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost" (Journal of Discourses, vol.1, p.51). Joseph Fielding Smith wrote: "The birth of the Savior was a natural occurrence unattended by any degree of mysticism, and the Father God was the literal parent of Jesus in the flesh as well as in the spirit" (Religious Truths Defined, p.44). Bruce McConkie (LDS apostle) states: "Christ was begotten by an Immortal Father in the same way that mortal men are begotten by mortal fathers" (Mormon Doctrine, p. 547, 1979).Carfred Broderick (Mormon author) writes: "God is a procreating personage of flesh and bone...latter-day prophets have made it clear that despite what it says in Matthew 1:20, the Holy Ghost was not the father of Jesus...The Savior was fathered by a personage of flesh and bone" (Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, Autumn, 1967, p.100-101).
- Mormons see Jesus as a polygamist. Apostle Orson Hyde: "…Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee... Mary, Martha, and others were his wives ... he begat children" (Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p.210). Jedediah M. Grant: "Jesus was the bridegroom at the marriage of Cana of Galilee, and he told them what to do... Now there was actually a marriage; and if Jesus was not the bridegroom on that occasion, please tell who was. If any man can show this, and prove that it was not the Savior of the world, then I will acknowledge I am in error. We say it was Jesus Christ who was married, to be brought into the relation whereby he could see his seed, before he was crucified" (Journal of Discourses, vol.2, p.82). Orson Hyde: "It will be borne in mind that once on a time, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and on a careful reading of that transaction, it will be discovered that no less a person than Jesus Christ was married on that occasion. If he was never married, his intimacy with Mary and Martha, and the other Mary also whom Jesus loved, must have been highly unbecoming and improper to say the best of it" (Journal of Discourses, vol.4, p.259). Orson Pratt: "We have now clearly shown that God the Father had a plurality of wives, one or more being in eternity, by whom He begat our spirits as well as the spirit of Jesus His First Born... We have also proved most clearly that the Son followed the example of his Father, and became the great Bridegroom to whom kings' daughters and many honorable wives are to be married" (The Seer, p. 172).
- The Bible says that Jesus created ALL things. This includes lucifer. Gen. 3:1, Ez. 28:13,15,17Mormons see Jesus as a brother of satan, not His brother.
- Mormons see Jesus was procreated as a spirit child of the Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother and later conceived physically by the Heavenly Father and an earthly mother: The Ensign, Jan. 1989, pp.28-29; Come Unto Christ by Ezra Taft Benson, p.4). Bruce McConkie states: "Christ the Word, the Firstborn, had of course attained unto the status of Godhood while yet in pre-existence" (What Mormons Think of Christ, p.36).
Bruce McConkie continues: "He is the Firstborn of the Father. By obedience and devotion to the truth he attained that pinnacle of intelligence which ranked him as a God, as the Lord Omnipotent, while yet in his pre-existent state" (Mormon Doctrine, 1966, pg. 129).
Orson Pratt: "God the Father had a plurality of wives, one or more being in eternity, by whom He begat our spirits as well as the spirit of Jesus His First Born" (The Seer, p. 172).
"Jesus Christ is not the Father of the spirits who have taken or yet shall take bodies upon this earth, for He is one of them. He is The Son, as they are sons and daughters of Elohim." (Encyclopedia of Mormonism, vol.4, Appendix 4).
Jehovah's Witnesses & The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints both claim to be God's one true organization.By Jack Ryan
This will make you go "Hmmm".....
Mormonism says there are many Gods and that you can become one, they say Jesus and satan are brothers, they say Jesus did NOT make atonement on the cross. They say God the father was once a MAN who had to EARN His way to become a God. They say you must learn secret handshakes and passwords and wear special underwear in order to live with God the father when you die. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches that all human beings, male and female, are beloved spirit children of heavenly parents, a Heavenly Father and a Heavenly Mother. In no way can mormonism be classed as "Christian"
By Jack Ryan
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Mormon Alex Landers supports the legalization of gay marriage despite her religion's opposition for a simple reason: She has LGBTQ friends who she loves and respects, including her best friend who is a bisexual man.
"I can't look at him and his boyfriend and tell them that they can't be happy and they can't love each other," said Landers, 20, of Draper, Utah. "Heavenly Father loves us for who we are. He wants us to be happy, as long as we're treating people well and we're being who we truly are and we're not hurting anyone."
She is among a growing number of young Mormons driving the faith's gradual acceptance of same-sex marriages, even though the religion's support still lags well behind national approval and those of Catholics, Muslims and Jews, according to the survey released this week by the Public Religion Research Institute.
The survey found that 40 percent of Mormons in the United States supported gay marriage in 2017, up from 27 percent in 2014.
Among Mormons between the ages of 18-29, the acceptance is 52 percent. That's up from 43 percent in 2014.
Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who are 65 and older have the lowest rate of support at 32 percent, according a survey based on about 40,000 phone interviews done last year. That's up from 18 percent in 2014.
Nationally, 61 percent of Americans support gay marriage, up from 52 percent in 2013.
The Utah-based religion of 16 million worldwide members has held firm to its opposition of gay marriage and homosexual activity while trying to foster an empathetic stance toward LGBTQ people.
Last year, church leaders updated a website to advise that attraction to people of the same sex is not a sin or a measure of their faithfulness and may never go away. But the church reminded members that being in an intimate same-sex relationship is a sin.
Among religious groups included in the survey, only white evangelical Protestants and Jehovah's Witnesses had lower levels of support for gay marriage. Support was higher among Catholics (about 65 percent), Muslims (51 percent) and Jews (77 percent).
The survey found that Mormons had the largest gap between support for gay marriage and support for anti-discrimination laws to protect LGBT people. While only 40 percent of Mormons favor gay marriage, 69 percent support anti-discrimination laws.
Luis Miranda, a 30-year-old heterosexual Mormon, said he wasn't surprised by the survey results because he senses a shifting tone among other young Mormons in the singles congregation he attends.
He said he grew up as a Catholic in Guatemala believing that traditional marriage between a man and a woman was sacred and important. He continued to hold that belief after he moved to Utah as a teenager and converted to Mormonism.
But as he grew older, he realized he needed to meet and spend more time with gays and lesbians. "I realized they were just as beautiful and loving with each other, and as pure as anyone else," said Miranda, of Salt Lake City.
Miranda said he sometimes struggles to reconcile his opinion with what church leaders are teaching. He believes Mormon leaders have good intentions. He is committed to remain in the religion to be a voice of support for gay marriage.
He finds hope in the fact that the religion believes church doctrine can be altered through revelations from God. That's how the church explained why it lifted the ban on blacks in the religion's lay priesthood in 1978.
"If it's happened before, it could happen again," Miranda said.
By Guest Nicole
Call it the WikiLeaks of the religion world.
A new website called FaithLeaks aims to bring transparency to the workings of religious congregations and denominations by publishing documents and data sets provided by anonymous sources.
The web portal was founded by two former Mormons who have previously gained access to documents shedding light on the inner workings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its position on controversial issues such as gay marriage.
This week, the two founders — Ryan McKnight and Ethan Dodge — published a trove of 33 letters and documents detailing an internal investigation of alleged sexual abuse within a congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
The pair hopes to entice others to submit documents that shed light on three main areas: congregational finances, church policies and procedures, and documents related to sex abuse settlements.
“Our goal is to reduce the amount of deception and untruths and unethical behaviors that exist in some facets of religion,” said McKnight, an accountant who lives in Las Vegas. “If someone is in possession of documents they feel deserve to be made public, we’re simply here to help facilitate that.”
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
By Queen Esther
World-Famous Scientist: GodÂ CreatedÂ theÂ Universe !
Â‘The final resolution could be,Â that God is a mathematician.Â’
( GODÂ is muchÂ moreÂ thanÂ that !)
Michio Kaku has made a name for himself as a world-leading theoretical physicist unafraid to speak his mind.
Kaku, the Henry Semat Chair and Professorship in theoretical physics at the City College of New York, has published more than 70 articles in physics journals on topics such as supersymmetry, superstring theory, supergravity, and hadronic physics.
His latest claim is likely to make waves in the world of science.
Â“I have concluded that we are in a world made by rules created by an intelligence,Â” Kaku said, as quoted by the Geophilosophical Association of Anthropological and Cultural Studies. Â“To me it is clear that we exist in a plan which is governed by rules that were created, shaped by a universal intelligence and not by chance.Â”
In a 2013 video produced by Big Think, Kaku described God as "cosmic music." (Big Think, a media site launched in 2007, has been described as YouTube for ideas. But itÂ’s actually more like TED.)
You can watch the video and see for yourself why Kaku believes science points to an intelligent creator who formed the universe. (IÂ’m certainly not going to try to explain it.)
KakuÂ’s conclusion is pretty clear.
Â“The final solution resolution could be that God is a mathematician,Â” says Kaku. Â“The mind of God, we believe, is cosmic music. The music of strings resonating through 11-dimensional hyperspace.Â”Â
Michio Kaku says,Â that God could be a mathematician:Â "The mind of God we believe is cosmic music, the music of strings resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace. That is the mind of God." Transcript-- Some people ask the question "Of what good is math?" What is the relationship between math and physics? Well, sometimes math leads. Sometimes physics leads. Sometimes they come together because, of course, there's a use for the mathematics. For example, in the 1600s Isaac Newton asked a simple question: if an apple falls then does the moon also fall? That is perhaps one of the greatest questions ever asked by a member of Homo sapiens since the six million years since we parted ways with the apes. If an apple falls, does the moon also fall? Isaac Newton said yes, the moon falls because of the Inverse Square Law. So does an apple. He had a unified theory of the heavens, but he didn't have the mathematics to solve the falling moon problem. So what did he do? He invented calculus. So calculus is a direct consequence of solving the falling moon problem. In fact, when you learn calculus for the first time, what is the first thing you do? The first thing you do with calculus is you calculate the motion of falling bodies, which is exactly how Newton calculated the falling moon, which opened up celestial mechanics. So here is a situation where math and physics were almost conjoined like Siamese twins, born together for a very practical question, how do you calculate the motion of celestial bodies? Then here comes Einstein asking a different question and that is, what is the nature and origin of gravity? Einstein said that gravity is nothing but the byproduct of curved space. So why am I sitting in this chair? A normal person would say I'm sitting in this chair because gravity pulls me to the ground, but Einstein said no, no, no, there is no such thing as gravitational pull; the earth has curved the space over my head and around my body, so space is pushing me into my chair. So to summarize Einstein's theory, gravity does not pull; space pushes. But, you see, the pushing of the fabric of space and time requires differential calculus. That is the language of curved surfaces, differential calculus, which you learn in fourth year calculus. So again, here is a situation where math and physics were very closely combined, but this time math came first. The theory of curved surfaces came first. Einstein took that theory of curved surfaces and then imported it into physics. Now we have string theory. It turns out that 100 years ago math and physics parted ways. In fact, when Einstein proposed special relativity in 1905, that was also around the time of the birth of topology, the topology of hyper-dimensional objects, spheres in 10, 11, 12, 26, whatever dimension you want, so physics and mathematics parted ways. Math went into hyperspace and mathematicians said to themselves, aha, finally we have found an area of mathematics that has no physical application whatsoever. Mathematicians pride themselves on being useless. They love being useless. It's a badge of courage being useless, and they said the most useless thing of all is a theory of differential topology and higher dimensions. Well, physics plotted along for many decades. We worked out atomic bombs. We worked out stars. We worked out laser beams, but recently we discovered string theory, and string theory exists in 10 and 11 dimensional hyperspace. Not only that, but these dimensions are super. They're super symmetric. A new kind of numbers that mathematicians never talked about evolved within string theory. That's how we call it "super string theory." Well, the mathematicians were floored. They were shocked because all of a sudden out of physics came new mathematics, super numbers, super topology, super differential geometry. All of a sudden we had super symmetric theories coming out of physics that then revolutionized mathematics, and so the goal of physics we believe is to find an equation perhaps no more than one inch long which will allow us to unify all the forces of nature and allow us to read the mind of God. And what is the key to that one inch equation? Super symmetry, a symmetry that comes out of physics, not mathematics, and has shocked the world of mathematics. But you see, all this is pure mathematics and so the final resolution could be that God is a mathematician. And when you read the mind of God, we actually have a candidate for the mind of God. The mind of God we believe is cosmic music, the music of strings resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace. That is the mind of God. Directed / Produced by Jonathan Fowler & Elizabeth Rodd.Â --
By The Librarian
SALT LAKE CITY (KUTV) President Thomas S. Monson, leader of the Mormon church, is alive but remains hospitalized according to the LDS church.
Rumors circulating on Twitter suggested that the man regarded as a prophet, by millions of Mormons, passed away Wednesday. A spokesman for the church responded to an inquiry from KUTV.
Monson was hospitalized Monday evening.
"President Monson was not feeling well last evening and was admitted to the hospital. He has received treatment and fluids and will hopefully be released soon," LDS church spokesman Eric Hawkins said Tuesday.
Monson addressed the world-wide conference for the church he leads,
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. that feature musical numbers and church leaders speaking to crowds in the church's Conference Center and world wide by way of satellite broadcast. During his Sunday address, Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. . Church members are concerned for Monson who is a beloved figure for those in the faith. Members at Temple Square, near the church's world-wide headquarters in Salt Lake City said they were praying for their prophet.
“I love him and I actually met him once and he was just the happiest humblest man For him to be in the hospital is like oh no," church member Courtney Kemp said. She said her prayer for him was "That he may have peace and comfort in his situation right now."
Another member, Ashlie Haskin, had similar sentiments.
“I just hope that he is feeling comfort and peace and that his family feeling peace. He's worked hard and clearly he's given so much time and service,” Haskin said.
“I love him i really love him. He's a great man," another member, Carlos Gerez said.
Serving as the 16th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Monson has been in the position since Feb. 3, 2008, when he took the place of previous president Gordon B. Hinkley.
Monson was born in Salt Lake City, on August 21, 1927.
via Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. World News
via Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. World News
By The Librarian
A street worker cleans paving stones in Red Square with St. Basil's Cathedral, left, Lenin Mausoleum, center, and the Spasskaya Tower, right, in Moscow, Russia, Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2015. (AP Photo/Alexander Zemlianichenko)
A new law will regulate religious work and proselytizing in Russia, but the Mormon church says missionaries will remain there.
Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law Thursday an anti-terrorism measure that seeks to increase phone and social media surveillance, as well as penalties for online extremism. The measure, which takes effect July 20, also limits proselytizing by religious groups outside of officially designated sites.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released a statement Friday, noting that missionaries "will honor, sustain and obey the law" and "work within the requirements of these changes."
The U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) condemned the law in a news release Friday, calling it a "guise" that authorizes "sweeping powers to curtail civil liberties."
Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
THE TRINITY OF THE GODHEAD SEEN IN NATURE.
Question: How is the Trinity of the Godhead seen in nature as in Romans 1:20 ‘for the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse.
Answer: a) We see God’s eternal power in earthquakes, volcanoes, wind, millions of stars, galaxies, waves, floods, lightning, sun, moon, nuclear bombs, etc.
b) We see the Trinity of the Godhead with so many things coming in ‘threes’, reminding us of Father, Son, Holy Spirit, all three members of the creator Godhead. Examples include:
1) The Physical Universe: Space, mass, time.
2) Space: 3 dimensions of space are: length, breadth, height.
3) Mass: 3 phases of matter are: solid, liquid, gas.
4) Time: 3 tenses of time are: past, present, future.
5) Light: 3 directions of light wave oscillation are: horizontal,
vertical, back and forward.
6) Colours: 3 primary colours of light are: red, blue, yellow.
7) Kingdoms: 3 Kingdoms are: Animal, vegetable, mineral.
8) Animal: 3 main kinds of Animal are: fish, bird, land animals.
9) Minerals: 3 main kinds of Minerals are: igneous, sedimentary, metamorphic.
10) Heavens: 3 heavens are: atmosphere, space, God’s throne.
11) Man: 3 components of Man are: body, soul (personality), spirit. (I Thess. 5:23).
12) Divine institutions: 3 Divine institutions are: marriage, human government, church.
13) Musical notes: 3 notes make up a musical chord.
14) Sub-atomic particles: 3 main sub-atomic particles are: proton, electron, neutron,.
15) Mankind: 3 divisions of the human race: Jew, Gentile, Church of God. (I Cor.10:32).