The World News Media

I Corinthians 11:3 - Is God superior to Christ?

Jesus.defender

I Corinthians 11:3 - Is God superior to Christ?

‘But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God’.

Watchtower teaching: JWs say that, because Jehovah is the head of Christ, then Christ cannot be God. They say that since I Corinthians 11:3 was written in 55 AD when Jesus was ascended and glorified, then this superior rank of Jehovah over Jesus applies to their present relationship in heaven. They claim that ‘Jesus is always presented as a lesser, separate, humble servant of God’. Should you Believe in the Trinity? p.20.

The Bible teaching: I Corinthians 11:3 has to do with patterns of authority, not to do with inferiority or superiority of one person over the other. Paul says that the man is the head of the woman, even though men and women are 100% equal in their essential being.

Biblically men and women and equal in nature.

They are both 100% human, created in God’s image, and one in Christ (I Peter 3:7 ‘Heirs together’)

Key: Hence, even though men and women are equal in nature, they function within a hierarchy. In the same way, Christ and the Father are 100% equal in their divine being and nature. ‘I and the Father are one’. (John 10:30), even though Jesus functions under the Father’s headship authority.

There is no contradiction to say that among the three persons in the Godhead, there is an equality of divine being and nature as well as two members functioning under the Father’s authority.

Christ is 100% God and fully equal to the Father in being and nature, yet Christ is subordinate or submissive to the Father, especially in becoming a man.

Therefore I Corinthians 11:3 does not teach that Jesus is less than God.

Within the Godhead, the Father acts as Head without diminishing the full deity of the Son.

Question: Are women inferior in nature to men because men exercise headship over women?

Question: If ‘no’, then why does the WT teach that the Father’s headship over Christ means that Christ is inferior in nature to the Father?

• Views 111
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.