The World News Media

Guest Kurt

There are over 8.2 million practicing evangelical Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide. Many famous athletes are Jehovah's Witnesses. Several famous boxers, NBA players, and baseball stars follow the teachings of the Jehovah's Witness faith. Some of these athletes were raised in the faith, while others converted later in life. Two of the best female tennis players of all time are Jehovah's Witnesses.

Who is the most famous athlete who is a Jehovah's Witness? Serena Williams tops our list. She and her sister Venus were raised as Jehovah's Witnesses and still practice today. Serena says, “I've been studying to be a Jehovah's Witness, so I go to Kingdom Hall. I grew up a Witness and it's what I know, and we teach things that come from the Bible." Danny Granger was raised in a Jehovah's Witness household. It is unclear if he still practices the faith today.

On Dave Pear's blog he states, "I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and an advocate for justice!" Chet Lemon is a Jehovah's Witness. He almost died from a blood disorder in 1991, when he decided against surgery because his religion prohibits him from receiving a blood transfusion. Kid Gavilán became a Jehovah's Witness in the late-1960s.

Do you think that being Jehovah's Witnesses helps these athletes to succeed in their professional careers? Share your thoughts in the comments section.

Serena Williams was raised a Jehovah's Witness and still practices today.

Venus Williams was raised a Jehovah's Witness and still practices the religion.

Danny Granger was raised in a Jehovah's Witness household. It is unclear if he still practices the faith today.

Baseball player was an active Jehovah's Witness and put the religion above his MLB career.

Willie Wise was considering becoming a Jehovah's Witness minister before getting drafted to the NBA.

On Dave Pear's blog it states, "I am one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and an advocate for justice!"

Travis Scott was raised as a Jehovah's Witness.

Chet Lemon is a Jehovah's Witness. He almost died from a blood disorder in 1991, when he decided against surgery because his religion prohibits him from receiving a blood transfusion.

Dave Meyers is a Jehovah's Witness. He retired from basketball in 1980 to spend more time with his family and practice his faith

Kid Gavilán became a Jehovah's Witness in the late-1960s.

Mark McCumber is a devout Jehovah's Witness. He says, "It's a very misunderstood religion."

11 Athletes Who Are Jehovah's Witnesses

27 Famous Jehovah's Witnesses

• Views 47k
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the information! But being one of Jehovah witnesses means more than  just being raised in a household where your mom or Dad are actually a baptized witness and following in Christ Jesus foo

This is a rather old list isn't it. Being faithful is far more important than being famous.

As I understand, the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, are NOT baptized JWs!  Their family are JWs, they attend some meetings, but are not baptized!  The internet is a poor source for information

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the information! But being one of Jehovah witnesses means more than  just being raised in a household where your mom or Dad are actually a baptized witness and following in Christ Jesus foot steps, and NO he is not the kind of GOD, that is behinds one winning a champion ship or no. 

I am not trying to judge anyone, because I was raised in a household where my mom and grandmother were actually baptized Wittness,and the school I attended would call me a Wittness,but I didn't get baptized until 1988 many years later! But the way we carried ourselves said a lot's. I just found out that many of my class mates are now Jehovah Witnesses, all because of our conduct at school! I'm so grateful to be a part of such a beautiful organization nothing like having a God who are patient and gave me a opportunity to know him and his love.

Thank you very much.

GIGI Blake

• 5 weeks later...

As I understand, the Williams sisters, Venus and Serena, are NOT baptized JWs!  Their family are JWs, they attend some meetings, but are not baptized!  The internet is a poor source for information

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.