The World News Media

Exact, per capita donations now "encouraged" from the platform at assemblies?

Jack Ryan

All in attendance at our local circuit assembly are 'encouraged' to donate as a benchmark £7.50 for the privilege of being there and 'covering the cost of the assembly hall'

Is this a new tactic?

How is this different from "passing the plate" that my dad always boasted that JW's did not do?

• Views 1.5k
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most assemblies don't word it quite that way. I have seen only a couple that made my eyebrow raise a little. I think most people don't realize how much it costs to run an assembly hall too.

Are you both serious? Really?  You mean to tell me that you cannot see the similarities between passing the plate and requesting money? Had this come from the Catholic church encouraging their me

what do you want me to do about your struggle? 

3 hours ago, Shiwiii said:
On 9/23/2018 at 3:08 PM, Jack Ryan said:

How is this different from "passing the plate" that my dad always boasted that JW's did not do?

its not

I am struggling to see any comparison between reminding brothers of the modern-day, fluctuating costs of running an assembly and "passing the plate"???

16 hours ago, Gone Away said:

I am struggling to see any comparison between reminding brothers of the modern-day, fluctuating costs of running an assembly and "passing the plate"???

16 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

what do you want me to do about your struggle? 

What! Shiwiiiii would equate the two? It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Even Jack, who starts a thread if a GB member so much as passes gas, is not this dumb. When he heads this thread, it is 'Witnesses now "encouraged?" He puts the 'encouraged' in quotes because even he knows that you have to stretch it very thin to see matters this way.

'Taste and see that Jehovah is good,' says Psalm 34:8. If you tasted and saw that he was bad, what is to be done? 'Check your taste buds' is the only answer that comes to mind. However, Shiwiiiii can just as well fire the same answer back. So it becomes a stalemate.

47 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

What! Shiwiiiii would equate the two? It's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

7 hours ago, Gone Away said:

Probably best to let each one carry his own load in this regard.

Are you both serious? Really? 

You mean to tell me that you cannot see the similarities between passing the plate and requesting money? Had this come from the Catholic church encouraging their members to fork over some money, you two would be going over some dialog in your minds of how jws are so much better because the jws don't do that. The fact of the matter is ALL churches do it. They all do it for the same exact reasons stated here and elsewhere, to cover expenses. Do some spend it frivolously and are wasteful? Sure. Is any one group innocent in their dealings with the peoples money 100% of the time, probably not. Are there some who try to use the money responsibly? No doubt. But to look down your nose at another group while ignoring your own actions is the perfect definition of hypocrisy.    

2 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

Are you both serious? Really? 

You mean to tell me that you cannot see the similarities between passing the plate and requesting money? Had this come from the Catholic church encouraging their members to fork over some money, you two would be going over some dialog in your minds of how jws are so much better because the jws don't do that. The fact of the matter is ALL churches do it. They all do it for the same exact reasons stated here and elsewhere, to cover expenses. Do some spend it frivolously and are wasteful? Sure. Is any one group innocent in their dealings with the peoples money 100% of the time, probably not. Are there some who try to use the money responsibly? No doubt. But to look down your nose at another group while ignoring your own actions is the perfect definition of hypocrisy.    

That's not a terrible answer. I'll try to get the count of 'iii's right.

4 hours ago, Shiwiii said:

you two would be going over some dialog in your minds of how jws are so much better because the jws don't do that.

Now you are reading minds, (two at the same time it seems), and drawing conclusions on your results????

I know you are hurting over something, but I don't think you are on a healing route here.  ?

1 minute ago, Gone Away said:

Now you are reading minds, (two at the same time it seems), and drawing conclusions on your results????

I know you are hurting over something, but I don't think you are on a healing route here.  ?

Bahahahaha, Nice deflection. I think you are dodging the topic because you know what I said is true, you just can't accept it. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.