The World News Media

On 10/5/2018 at 6:01 PM, JOHN BUTLER said:

JW Dress Rules is the topic, not, being in a concentration camp. 

Perhaps TTH connecting concentration camp's dress fashion, the very modest one, as dress without any sexual elements and call for fantasy, with this topic?? :)))))   

• Views 9.8k
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Space Merchant  True Christian JW's are supposed to 'quit being fashioned after this system of things' and put away national identities and embrace the JW culture above all. There is NO place fo

Are but who's choice of modesty ? Oh of course the GB's and the Elders.   Maybe what Jehovah wants of every one is a bit of individuality.     Are I've just noticed you say 'JW' standards, n

Should we make the Brothers and Sisters who won the genetic lottery, the ones who are handsome and beautiful, beat themselves in the face with a steel rod until they resemble the rest of us ... and th

Posted Images

On 1/21/2019 at 9:37 PM, JOHN BUTLER said:

The tie is one of the most pathetic pieces of clothing ever invented.

They said how here in Croatia is origin of tie (kravata - Croata, Cravate - in English, from French word Cravates for Croatian people )  typical scarves worn by Croatian cavalrymen,  an accessory which became the ubiquitous necktie of today...

@JOHN BUTLER suit and ties are made by people so I agree with you here, but how does that equal to tradition of men? Surely if clothing was made with the intent of worshipping a false God or created for some nafurous means, but common stuff isnt Tradition of men as you say.

But if a suit and tie is that bad, why are you wearing a suit and tie, let alone clothing if you say it is tradition of man?

I wear plain shirts and pants on casual days, a hoodie or a jacket if it's cold. Dress shirt/suit and bowtie for going to hall. Red shirt and khakis for my job. Sweatshirt and pants for exercising. These things doesn't mean I am doing things that is tradition of man, it just means I am cold or just covering my body.

Besides that, there is a line between modesty and immodesty, not just conduct, but apperance. I don't know how things were for you as a teenager, but I can tell you things that will blow your mind of what teens my age dress and do, so there is always a good and bad to something. 

On 1/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, Matthew9969 said:

Mobsters wear suits and ties, Bernie Madoff committed crimes while wearing suits and ties, politicians wear suits and ties, other religious folk wear suits and ties as part of their worship.  You don't need a special uniform to worship God. God is more concerned that a person is worshiping Him, not soley how they are dressed.

My English Teacher wears a suit and tie. You look at him funny and next thing you know you get an "F" on your paper and he will then proceed to nicely discredit you in public or in private,  even when parents speak with teachers. It's too late in the to change so I'm bracing the storm.

5 hours ago, Equivocation said:

suit and ties are made by people so I agree with you here, but how does that equal to tradition of men?

Hi! 

I see this subject this way. If somebody made decision, rule (that in KH meeting) how particular clothes and details in clothes are only acceptable (but some other fashion is even forbidden or just "not good")  for people who coming in KH, then after some time, this rule come to be tradition. And in general, with time passing, members will not consider this as just rule but as tradition, folkloric issue, for particular people in particular social group, JW community in this case.   

@Equivocation  Quote " But if a suit and tie is that bad, why are you wearing a suit and tie, let alone clothing if you say it is tradition of man? " 

When i was in the JW Org, I obeyed the rules. Rules of men. I didn't want to deliberately cause trouble or to embarrass my family by being moaned at by the police, sorry I mean Elders, of the congregation. 

We had an Elder in the congregation, a big man, that really suffered with the heat causing him problems. He never wore a jacket or tie in the hall, BUT he still had to wear a suit and tie when he went up on the platform. They had to put a big electric fan on the edge of the stage each time he was on there. So tell me where is the love and consideration for that Elder ?

And yes they didn't question him for not wearing a jacket and tie in the hall, but I did get 'spoken to' once for not wearing a tie, hence in future I conformed. 

In my opinion it becomes 'traditions of men' when it is not scriptural but is still enforced by 'those in power', the GB down to the Elders. 

And yes certain types of clothing are traditions of men if dictated by humans.

This point has been proven by women in certain secular jobs having to wear high heeled shoes all day, when they would prefer to wear flat comfortable shoes. I believe this has got to the point of actual court cases. I think that proves the tradition of MEN in the true sense. 

And the suit and tie was supposed to represent decency, honesty, trustworthiness, etc. But in many cases it was just used to trick people into thinking that way. However, it has been carried forward to this day, as a tradition of men. 

So is it still necessary ? 

@JOHN BUTLER You didn't even answer the question. You said clothing is tradition of men and now you say certain clothing, so which is it or are you just throwing darts to a board, pops?

A red hat is meaningless and a random guy uses it to cover his head, perhaps to cover signs of balding vs. A guy who uses a red hat that reads messages of racism to trigger aggressive response by people at a random bagel shop vs. A guy who sports a red hat to support a political view.

All 3 men, 2 of them having a piece of clothing the represents or stands for something negative and or decisive.

So Tradition of Men is something totally different compared to what you said before.

I suggest thinking it over a glass of water.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:40 AM, Matthew9969 said:

My brothers and sisters and I all wear jeans, khaki's, etc and t-shirts/nice shirts during our worship. I do so because while I am worshipping/singing along with the music I can raise my hands to God in worship. Can't do that in a suit and tie which pretty much constricts your movement making you stiff. 

Usually depends on the person and their build. What matters is if the clothing isn't out of this world immodest.

People now a days dress up as if they are going to a Crème de la Crème night club when they go to worship God.

My late uncle use to say, if it ain't right with God it shouldn't be right with you.

Other than that I can move in a suit just fine.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:07 AM, Srecko Sostar said:

Hi! 

I see this subject this way. If somebody made decision, rule (that in KH meeting) how particular clothes and details in clothes are only acceptable (but some other fashion is even forbidden or just "not good")  for people who coming in KH, then after some time, this rule come to be tradition. And in general, with time passing, members will not consider this as just rule but as tradition, folkloric issue, for particular people in particular social group, JW community in this case.   

So what is your say on mini skirts and dresses and suits that are as tight as a salsa jar cap to the point of tearing out of it like pop eye?

Modest or immodest?

Modesty is honesty, amigo.