The World News Media

Genesis 8:21 “I will no longer curse the ground because of men”

Jack Ryan

It was my understanding years ago that how the JWs explained why we have animals killing animals and poisonous snakes and deadly plants etc was because god cursed the ground after Adam sinned. This scripture blows a hole in their doctrine if I’m correct. What’s your understanding of what GB teach on this issue and your thoughts on this scripture?

In General 3:17 God curses the ground, and then in chapter 8 uncurses it for Noah.

This is why we don't have weeds, thorns and thistles anymore. God took them away you see.

• Views 837
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you live in a frosted glass bubble, ANYONE's perspective on Life, the Universe and Everything is totally screwed up. Yesterday at the Meeting, the visiting speaker called our attention to Ec

*** w17 June p. 8 par. 17 Jehovah Provides Comfort in All Our Trials *** Before the Flood, Seth’s descendant Lamech worshipped Jehovah. That family man said of his son Noah: “[He] will bring us comf

As described, such a quick and violent flood would wash away the topsoil, and this would make it the worst time to plant, and for many years into the future.

5 hours ago, Jack Ryan said:

What’s your understanding of what GB teach on this issue and your thoughts on this scripture?

*** w17 June p. 8 par. 17 Jehovah Provides Comfort in All Our Trials ***
Before the Flood, Seth’s descendant Lamech worshipped Jehovah. That family man said of his son Noah: “[He] will bring us comfort from our labor and from the painful toil of our hands because of the ground that Jehovah has cursed.” That prophecy was fulfilled when the curse on the ground was lifted.

*** w13 8/1 p. 15 He Was Kept “Safe With Seven Others” ***
God lifted the curse on the ground. Back in the days of the rebellion of Adam and Eve, God had pronounced that curse, making cultivation unusually difficult. Noah’s father, Lamech, had named his son Noah—probably meaning “Rest,” or “Consolation”—and had foretold that his son would lead mankind to a time of rest from that curse. Noah must have beamed when he learned that he would now see that prophecy fulfilled and that the earth would respond more readily to efforts to cultivate it. Little wonder that Noah soon took up farming!—Genesis 3:17, 18; 5:28, 29; 9:20.

*** w96 11/1 p. 8 par. 8 Look to Jehovah for Comfort ***
How relieved Noah and his family must have felt after the Flood as they came out of the ark onto a cleansed earth! How comforting to find that the curse on the ground had been lifted, making agricultural activity so much easier! Indeed, Lamech’s prophecy proved true, and Noah lived up to the meaning of his name. (Genesis 8:21)

So evidently the idea is that the ground in Eden was fantastic, and the ground around the garden was supposed to be ready for fertile and fruitful cultivation as the human family expanded. But then God cursed the ground and it became more difficult. And then the Flood, (Après à fois le déluge. ..) after which it became much easier again to cultivate the ground, but not perfect as in Eden. I don't recall the animal theory ever being spelled out relative to this curse on the ground.

1 hour ago, JW Insider said:

And then the Flood, (Après à fois le déluge. ..)after which it became much easier again to cultivate the ground

Probably because the soil was nicely softened from all that water. I like to wait for after some rain before I start weeding or digging in the garden. We have clay soil and it gets as hard as a rock! (Did you just come back from France?)

3 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

As described, such a quick and violent flood would wash away the topsoil, and this would make it the worst time to plant, and for many years into the future.

Nah, that washed away soil must have settled somewhere. You know, like drifts of snow xD I imagine a lot of mud everywhere xD

1 minute ago, Anna said:

Nah, that washed away soil must have settled somewhere. You know, like drifts of snow xD I imagine a lot of mud everywhere xD

I expect you are right. But miraculous intervention would have played a part. Besides, considering how salty the oceans are even now, only some 4,000 years later, plants must have been given capabilities they no longer have.

BillyTheKid46:

I presume that even with your pseudonym and avatar, you are not an infamous pistolero.

Your sentence structure, cadence and the way you put ideas together has a certain style and flavor.

May I be so presumptuous to ask what you do for a living ?

Where you work ? (generally .. not specifically..)

Never fear ... I do not think if you did tell me, it would supply enough information to target North Korean missiles to your home.

Merely a courtesy to someone who is trying to understand you better.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.