The World News Media

Why do the elders have to announce when a publisher decides to spend 70 hours a month in service?

Guest Nicole

3 hours ago, BillyTheKid46 said:

Yes, Paul was a Pharisee, but he was also a prosecutor for the church, which in essence made him a legal entity, as a convincing lawyer. Therefore, both terms are politically correct!

It may be so, but that is not how anyone understands the word ‘lawyer.’ Even few of us would understand it that way, and it is too trivial a point to be so glaringly out of sync with common understanding of the word. 

We are trying to communicate, after all, not make people think we are weird. “If the trumpet call is indistinct, who will get ready for battle?”

Some words are not so trivial. They are essential and so we hold to and spread them, even in the face of a world that thinks otherwise. Such as the definition of the individual Witness as a minister. 

We hold to it, even though the world does not think of ‘minister’ that way. To most of them, a minister is someone who ‘has a church’ and ‘gets paid.’

I almost think that we flirted with that definition briefly in the late 70’s to align more with how the word is understood by most people, but then changed it back because it is so core. Blabbermouth probably knows about that. 

But there is no sense in harping on a different understanding of ‘lawyer’ and I am glad that it is no longer done.

(It isn’t, is it?)

• Views 6.3k
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

. “When you give … do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing” (Matthew 6:3) Matthew 6:1 (BBE) Take care not to do your good works before men, to be seen by them Matthew 6:

Josue2 You are obviously trying to share information which may be valuable. How about I make a deal with you .... you write in English, and I will not reply in Klingon? Otherwise, your

Oh they do you know. You did!

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

It may be so, but that is not how anyone understands the word ‘lawyer.’ Even few of us would understand it that way, and it is too trivial a point to be so glaringly out of sync with common understanding of the word. 

That is EXACTLY what I think of when I hear the cringeworthy label "overlapping generations"..

20 hours ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

The devil has had that authority for thousands of years. So why oh why you go on about higher education being the big problem i do not know. 

What! Have you gone back to the devil as a nasty red fellow with horns and a pitchfork who otherwise has no influence?

It is Satan whose ‘spirit’ pervades the air. Do you think that foul air has been sealed out of the university? Or does it emanate from it?

Granted, it is not so everywhere. I recall reading somewhere (not in a WT publication) that business majors and engineering majors seldom study at the expense of their faith. It is more to be found in today’s ‘liberal arts’ that is intertwined in everything. 

When it is not the food that is bad, it is the restaurant in which it is served, with it’s maitre d’s, chefs, and waiters. A la carte is the way to take your education wherever possible—cherry picking the best of it—rather than simply unlatching the top of your head and let today’s atheistic and/or politically minded professors (usually leftist) fill it with whatever they want.

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

What! Have you gone back to the devil as a nasty red fellow with horns and a pitchfork who otherwise has no influence?

It is Satan whose ‘spirit’ pervades the air. Do you think that foul air has been sealed out of the university? Or does it emanate from it?

Granted, it is not so everywhere. I recall reading somewhere (not in a WT publication) that business majors and engineering majors seldom study at the expense of their faith. It is more to be found in today’s ‘liberal arts’ that is intertwined in everything. 

When it is not the food that is bad, it is the restaurant in which it is served, with it’s maitre d’s, chefs, and waiters. A la carte is the way to take your education wherever possible—cherry picking the best of it—rather than simply unlatching the top of your head and let today’s atheistic and/or politically minded professors (usually leftist) fill it with whatever they want.

it is Satan whose 'spirit' pervades 'the air.'

However, as a product of the system you condemn, I say that endless nonsense finds a home there.

That is totally a Billy the Kid comment.  So is Tom, Billy ?

Look how he /whomever twists what i have said. That is definitely Billy the Kid.  

The Devil IS Satan and Satan IS the Devil, but this comments tries to pretend he isn't . The question is WHY ? 

Billy I think you have dropped a big clanger here. 

1 hour ago, JOHN BUTLER said:

That is totally a Billy the Kid comment.  So is Tom, Billy ?

To be fair to you, John, I did a partial cut and paste and forgot to take out what was irrelevant. Sorry. That doubtless confused you even more than usual. My bad.

I changed it. Again, maybe my bad. JTR will howl that I have thwarted factfinding by the dozens if not hundreds of honest tried and true citizens that he is convinced have nothing better to do with their time but hang out here.

5 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

JTR will howl that I have thwarted factfinding by the dozens if not hundreds of honest tried and true citizens that he is convinced have nothing better to do with their time but hang out here.

I just got back from the meeting, and having lunch at Golden Corral with Susan, and had planned on working on my chicken coop and run, but it's 94 degrees out there!

Plan B is to irritate you, TTH, and then take a nap.

I sleep better if put a few bees in your bonnet, before a nap, or get a big red down arrow vote from BillyTheKid46.!

I'm A Little Black Rain Cloud, of course..mp4

3 hours ago, BillyTheKid46 said:

Then why do you do it. That’s right kiss up to apostates! It shows your true nature! Oh! I'm sorry if I offend you, while yelling at those that defend the truth, rebuke! Rebuke! Your classic! 😂

I don’t think you read this correctly. It had nothing to do with you, nor were you on my mind.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.