The World News Media

Australia: Incest victim turned lawyer speaks out on reporting violence and sexual abuse

Guest Indiana

Guest Indiana

After enduring years of secrecy and betrayal, Shelly Rose Braieoux finally dug deep within herself and picked up the phone.

Key points:

• Shelly Braieoux said Jehovah's Witnesses elders failed to face up to her abuse allegations
  • She said she felt like God would strike her down when she cut ties with the church
  • Her initial experiences with police and the legal system prompted her to study law

Having grown up with parents who were strict Jehovah's Witnesses, she remembers being taught to fear outsiders.

Making a report to the police, an elder told her, would "bring reproach" upon Jehovah's name.

But she had something to say.

Her father — a man who had forced her to carefully write out scriptures on a poster, and had forbidden her from wearing two bangles on her wrist — had inflicted violence and sexual abuse at home in the past.

In the period after she cut ties with the church, Ms Braieoux said she felt like God was going to strike her down at any moment.

But a voice on the other end of the line, that of Detective Senior Constable Natalie Bennett, offered her some genuine compassion.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-08/incest-victim-to-honours-law-graduate-shelly-triumph-over-abuse/10978530

10978570-3x2-700x467.jpg

• Views 689
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The end is close. I can feel it.  

Perhaps it is time to learn that song "Daisy, daisy" ........   My mind is going. I can feel it..mp4

Shelly Braieoux (BCG) on ABC news April 8, 2019

Posted Images

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.