Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Guest Indiana -
Guest Indiana -

Top Posters

Guest Indiana

Huawei has become famous in Latin America for selling devices less pricey than Samsung. 

I personally used one Huawei brand cellphone,  but had to return it. Even sending an email was a difficult task. 😕

On 5/19/2019 at 6:42 PM, Indiana said:

The news is a blow to the Chinese technology company that the US government has sought to blacklist around the world.

Google's companies (and now Amazon, too) are US military contractors and must therefore follow US interests. Google even helped to delist and blacklist videos that were going viral about the Huawei phones, so that the originals have often now been re-posted, but with many fewer views. My introduction to the phone was this video showing an amazing 50x zoom that no US phone can come close to yet.

There are also videos showing an amazing ability to "see in the dark" which is a major weakness of iPhones and Google phones.

Of course, all this posturing against the Chinese phone can backfire into seeing the iPhone banned in China.

Similarly, the fact that China has rolled out so much true 5G is going to make it hard for US companies to claim that they were the 5G pioneers who had it first. There has been a partial blackout in the US of a lot of Chinese technology. To reduce interest and international competition, the USA once simply relied on the claim that China only "steals" US and Western technology, but this doesn't make a lot of sense when some of these amazing technologies in China have already surpassed US technologies by several years. (quantum computing, AI supercomputers, etc.) 

On 5/22/2019 at 11:19 PM, JW Insider said:

To reduce interest and international competition, the USA once simply relied on the claim that China only "steals" US and Western technology,

I hear this so often from businesses themselves, not just the government, that I accept it as true. That doesn’t mean that, having done so, they might not use whatever intellectual property they have hijacked to build upon.

I also think it will be a difficult point to negotiate away. If what I know about communism is true, there is no private intellectual property, nor private property of any sort. The property of one person is in theory the property of all.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:19 PM, JW Insider said:

Similarly, the fact that China has rolled out so much true 5G is going to make it hard for US companies to claim that they were the 5G pioneers 

It may be just as well. The same people who carry on about chemical & pharmaceutical & food pollution also carry on about 5G, far more intense than 4G, and impossible to get away from.

Watch those Chinese to see if they light up.

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

If what I know about communism is true, there is no private intellectual property, nor private property of any sort. The property of one person is in theory the property of all.

From what I've been learning in the last couple of years, almost nothing I "knew" about communism was true.

The international financial services company I worked for (for a quarter century) wanted to open up services in China. Negotiations included a 10 year opportunity to see what kind of market share our company could build with no government encroachment, except for limits on officer salaries and profits leaving the country. But after 10 years, there would be rules about the number of Chinese employees at "officer" decision-making levels, and a kind of democratic vote by all employees about profit levels, profit sharing, etc. There were rules about not just pulling out and leaving Chinese customers without financial guarantees. If any of these rules were broken the Chinese government would prepare to take over and incorporate customers into state provided financial services or Chinese institutions which already abided by those rules.

4 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I hear this so often from businesses themselves, not just the government, that I accept it as true.

Almost unrelated but my wife's aunt is in the hospital and that aunt's daughter, my wife's cousin, is a registered nurse who was there with us last night. As we were all visiting, this cousin railed against the fact that the Chinese are manufacturing so many of our standard pharmaceuticals that they administer, and another nurse on duty was agreeing whole-heartedly about poison levels and lead levels in all these Chinese medicines. She gave the name of a few of these medicines, so I started looking them up, and it turned out that quality statistics were more problematic (and lethal) when these same medicines were USA manufactured.

it reminded me that major US media outlets including CNN and the NYT apparently feel obligated to run an anti-China story every few days. One recent one that got some traction was a story on how China had banned a cartoon called "Peppa the Pig." Even late-night comedians made fun of how terrible it was that China had banned the innocuous cartoon as promoting gangsterism, etc. There were dozens of major newspapers that picked up the story on Chinese censorship. Some had ominous overtones of impending danger to the Chinese people if not the entire world. 

Think it's funny that China is cracking down on Peppa Pig? Think again

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/07/china-cracking-down-on-peppa-pig

But, in the meantime, people were noticing that not only had a recent Peppa the Pig video gotten a BILLION views in China, but even the Chinese army was marching in Peppa the Pig formations to celebrate the Chinese New Year.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/02/05/691501906/why-its-the-year-of-peppa-pig-in-china?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190205

The supposedly ominous crackdown turned out to be about as true as the 5,000 news articles published in the US about Assad (Syria) using poison gas on his own people, etc., etc., that, through leaked documents, we now know that the US government didn't believe at all, over the several years that they were still promoting these articles as true.

2 hours ago, JW Insider said:

She gave the name of a few of these medicines, so I started looking them up, and it turned out that quality statistics were more problematic (and lethal) when these same medicines were USA manufactured.

Hmmm. Is the lesson here to run like mad when the nurse comes with meds because they may be made in China...

or to run like double-mad because they may not?

FD: I am not a fan of too many meds, having had not so good experiences:

https://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2017/04/should-pharma-be-expected-to-cut-its-own-throat.html

Guest Indiana

Huawei Wants to Play Nice With Google and Microsoft, But Has Its 'Last Resort' Ready

Huawei is an electronics powerhouse that has relied on partnerships with Google and Microsoft to help boost its global business. But the Chinese company must now face the possibility of a future without its American partners.

Microsoft removed Huawei laptops from its online store on Friday, marking the latest move against Huawei after it was blacklisted on May 15 by the U.S. Department of Commerce over security concerns. A Microsoft spokesperson declined to comment.

“I think Huawei’s removal from the Microsoft Store portends to the future where Huawei, already kicked out of the U.S. in phones, spreads to its very high quality PCs,” says Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy. Huawei’s existing business requires it to “rely on U.S. companies in the short and mid-term,” he added.

The company also relies on several American semiconductor companies, including Qualcomm, Intel, Nvidia, and Lattice, along with British-American chip maker ARM, to supply parts to build its smartphones and laptops. Some of those chip makers have reportedly stopped supplying Huawei, but none of them have confirmed it.

“It will take a decade for China to replace these capabilities,” says Moorhead.

Google briefly pulled Huawei’s Android license on Sunday, but restored it on Tuesday after the Trump administration issued a temporary order to allow operations to continue for existing Huawei mobile users.

Without the license, Huawei wouldn’t be able to sell smartphones with Google’s services, including Maps, Gmail, and Google Assistant, essentially forcing the company to come up with their own back-up plan or risk losing market share. Huawei laptops use Microsoft Windows, however Microsoft hasn’t commented on whether it plans to pull Huawei’s license to use Windows on future products.

http://fortune.com/2019/05/25/huawei-google-microsoft/

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JW Insider
      Of course, I don't really believe this in the slightest. But I thought I would put it out here just to raise some interest in the actual meaning of Gog and Magog.
      I looked on Google and could not find any places where anyone had made the connection yet between GOOGLE and GOG. This surprised me, because in Hebrew the verse at Ezekiel 38:2 actually says the following in the Masoretic text:
      See it here:
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.   בֶּן־אָדָם שִׂים פָּנֶיךָ אֶל־גֹּוג אֶרֶץ הַמָּגֹוג נְשִׂיא רֹאשׁ מֶשֶׁךְ וְתֻבָל וְהִנָּבֵא עָלָֽיו׃
      אֶל־גֹּוג means when transliterated EL-GOG.
      But the O between the two G's is actually a 'vav' which when used as a vowel (as it is here) is not just used for O, but also for U, pronounced OO. Therefore:
      אֶל־גֹּוג can also be transliterated as EL-GOOG.
      Transliterated left to right as it appears on paper, this is אֶל־גֹּוג or GOOG-LE.
      Quite a coincidence for a word that has a curious prophetic meaning in Scripture, and a word that is so ubiquitous on the Internet that it transcends translation. It is a trademark, a mark of that wild, beastly thing we call the Internet.
      Of course, that particular "wild beast" connection has already been done:

• By SciTechPress
      Yesterday, New Zealand blocked Chinese telecom firm Huawei from building out a 5G network in the country—after Australia did the same in August. New Zealand intelligence officials informed a major NZ carrier that using Huawei's 5G equipment would "raise significant national security risks."
      About the risks: 
      Some countries worry that Huawei will use its powerful technology to spy on or disrupt communications on behalf of the Chinese government. 
      The threat is so real that the U.S. government has reportedly started an "extraordinary" effort to encourage allies to block Huawei (the largest telecom equipment maker in the world) from supplying 5G infrastructure. 
      As the U.S.-China conflict rages on, we are seeing a divide between countries that are comfortable with using next-gen Chinese tech...and ones that aren't. On Monday, Papua New Guinea said it's sticking to its deal with Huawei.
    • By LNN
      We're building an artificial intelligence-powered dystopia, one click at a time, says techno-sociologist Zeynep Tufekci. In an eye-opening talk, she details how the same algorithms companies like Facebook, Google and Amazon use to get you to click on ads are also used to organize your access to political and social information. And the machines aren't even the real threat. What we need to understand is how the powerful might use AI to control us -- and what we can do in response.
    • By TheWorldNewsOrg
      via .ORG
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.
    • By TheWorldNewsOrg
      via .ORG
    • By TheWorldNewsOrg
      via .ORG
    • By admin
      Google did a quick search to see what a 
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.  investment in Chinese e-commerce giant  Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.  would return. The results? A less than 1% stake in China's second biggest e-commerce player (behind Alibaba).  A massive network of warehouses and delivery ops. A chance to work with  Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.  to tackle online retail across the globe. But as Google eyes e-commerce (and Amazon)... 
      ...it's also looking to win favor with China. Since China banned Google's search engine in 2010, Google's built offices in the country, opened AI research facilities, and sent Sundar Pichai over to wine and dine lawmakers.
      But so far, China's remained query intolerant.
      Best case scenario: Google slides into three markets (U.S., Europe, and SE Asia) using 
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. 's incredible capacity to fulfill up to  Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content.  in one day...from one facility...with only four human workers...Then? China changes its mind about Google search.
      By Guest
      I've read elsewhere that Bing is getting more market share. Do you think this will end badly for Google?
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Las Islas Feroe, un archipiélago remoto que sobresale de los mares fríos entre Noruega e Islandia, ni siquiera aparece en algunos mapas del mundo. Pero desde hace unas semanas, las verdes laderas, los senderos rocosos y algunas carreteras de las 18 islas se encuentran en Google Street View y un equipo de ovejas con cámara ayudó a conseguirlo.
      Cuando, el año pasado, el consejo de turismo de las islas decidió que quería llamar la atención, sabía que necesitaría hacer algo inusual. También sabía que su terreno accidentado no sería atravesado fácilmente por los automóviles de Google que recorren las calles de la ciudad en todo el mundo para sacar fotos. Así que conectó unas cámaras de 360 grados con energía solar en el lomo de unas ovejas y empezó a cargar las imágenes resultantes y muy impresionantes a través de Street View.
      La idea de las ovejas, que la junta de turismo denominó Sheepview 360, resultó ser un éxito. Las ovejas son un gran negocio en las Islas Feroe, una nación autónoma dentro del Reino de Dinamarca cuyo nombre se traduce como las "islas de las ovejas". Se cree que la raza distintiva de las islas fue importada por los colonos nórdicos en el siglo IX y en la actualidad viven cerca de 80,000 de estos animales, superando ampliamente a las 50,000 personas. El funcionario de turismo Levi Hanssen dijo que la mayoría de los feroeses tienen alguna conexión con la cría de ovejas, aproximadamente un tercio de las cuales son sacrificadas para la producción de carne y otras se usan para la lana y los productos lácteos.
      Leer más: 
    • By TheWorldNewsOrg
      via Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. World News
      By Guest
      As if Apple (+1.84%) didn’t have enough headaches already with Animojis demanding better snacks in the office, one of its biggest competitors in China just introduced a new phone to do battle with the iPhone.
      Huawei, the third-largest smartphone maker in the world, unveiled the Mate 10, a top-of-the-line handheld device that features most of the iPhone X’s bells and whistles (AI and OLED display, to name a few) but at a lower price point ($826 compared to $999). 
      The Mate 10 will help Huawei and its hometown mates (Vivo, Oppo, Xiaomi) continue hacking away at Apple’s Chinese presence. Its market share in the country is draining faster than your iPhone’s battery on Bluetooth (down to 10% from 14% two years ago), and its sales in Greater China fell 12% in Q4 2016.
      Next stop for Huawei? The U.S.—to take on the Cupertino giant on its home turf.
    • By TheWorldNewsOrg
      Why Google is in hot water (again)

• By TheWorldNewsOrg
      via Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. World News
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      0:17 / 01:49
      Facebook already tailors its feed of news, sports scores and viral videos to show you what you want. Now Google is going to do it too.
      In a classic case of Silicon Valley "Anything you can do I can do better," the search giant on Wednesday updated its free Google app for iPhones and Android phones with a feed that uses artificial intelligence to show you things like news stories or movie trailers.
      Google is expanding the features in its search app's news feed.
      The feed itself isn't new -- Google introduced a basic version of it in December that shows you content you might be interested in, based on your Google searches. But on Wednesday, Google expanded the feed to include "follow" buttons so you can keep tabs on different public figures, like President Donald Trump, artists like Kendrick Lamar, or TV shows like "Game of Thrones."
      Read more: 
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      Google will stop its long-standing practice of scanning the contents of individual Gmail users for advertising purposes, the company announced in a blog post today. The practice, something Google has done nearly since the launch of its email service, allows the company to digest the contents of email messages and use them to deliver targeted ads within Gmail itself.
      Google is trying to convince more businesses to use its cloud services
      Users are allowed to opt out, and Google also reserves the practice only for personal Gmail users and not those of corporate accounts. However, the practice has made it difficult for Google to find and retain corporate clients for its cloud services business, according to Diane Greene, Google’s cloud division head, who spoke with the Financial Times. This is due to general confusion over Google’s business tactics and an overall apprehension to trust the company with sensitive data, the report says.
      “G Suite’s Gmail is already not used as input for ads personalization, and Google has decided to follow suit later this year in our free consumer Gmail service,” Green wrote in today’s blog post. “Consumer Gmail content will not be used or scanned for any ads personalization after this change. This decision brings Gmail ads in line with how we personalize ads for other Google products.”
      Read more: 
    • Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      A handful of apps are no longer supported on the Apple Watch, according to a report by Apple Insider. Major apps like Google Maps, Amazon, and eBay appear to have quietly abandoned the Apple Watch App Store, without giving a heads-up or providing any explanation to users.
      AI reports that Google pulled support for its Maps app on watchOS a few weeks ago, while recent updates to the Amazon and eBay apps no longer reference support for the Apple Watch. Other affected apps include Target (the main one, not its coupon app Cartwheel) and TripAdvisor. A TripAdvisor thread dating back to February questioned the changes, but users said they emailed technical support and received no response.

• By TheWorldNewsOrg
      via
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in (it's free) to view the hidden content. World News
    • By TheWorldNewsOrg
      1998: YAHOO refused to acquire Google for 1M
      2002: YAHOO realized its mistake and offered 3B Google requested 5B YAHOO refused.
      2008: Microsoft offered 50B to acquire YAHOO YAHOO rejected the offer
      2016: YAHOO has been acquired for 5B
      Current value of Google is around 545B

• By admin
      We are all screwed. ;-)  Can anyone say SKYNET?

• Guest Nicole
      By Guest Nicole
      BY VICTORIA HO1 DAY AGO
      For over two years, Google has been sending people into further flung places to capture as much of the earth as it can for its Street View service.
      Not everywhere can be captured by car, so intrepid trekkers are sent out on foot with a special backpack with a 360-degree camera.
      In Thailand, the fruit of that labour has largely been thanks to work of one guy, Google tells Mashable. 
      In order to capture these places, a Thai triathlete named Panupong Luangsa-ard strapped on the backpack and trudged through rolling hills and forests.
      "While collecting just the tea plantations and strawberry fields, he burned through four pairs of shoes," a Google rep said.
      Panupong travelled an estimated 500,000 km using a mix of transportation methods, and walked about 500 km of it.
      The entire quest to capture these sites took the team two years, with breaks on rainy days because the camera needs fair skies to get a clear shot.
      The Trekker backpack weighs about 18 kg, and extends about 2 ft above the operator's shoulders. Its battery lasts around six to eight hours on a full charge.
      In addition to the new sites in Thailand, Google's Street View has already been extended to exotic locations like coral reefs in Indonesia, Dubai's Burj Khalifa and the pyramids in Egypt, to name just a few.
      CORRECTION: March 31, 2016, 9:46 a.m. SGT An earlier headline noted that Panupong walked the entire way. Google has reached out with an apology for the error, saying it calculated the distance walked wrongly.

Source: http://mashable.com/2016/03/30/street-view-thailand/#8NqvTEZDugqt

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Trilliance
    Newest Member
    Trilliance

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.