The World News Media

Naming a child "Jehovah"

Jack Ryan

Naming of a child "Jehovah"  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a sin to name one's child "Jehovah"?

• Yes
    • No

• Views 1.9k
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

(Exodus 6:2) Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. 3 And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them. (

A sin? that's debatable. However, it seems inappropriate. The divine name is incorporated in the names of many of the characters in the Bible record, but I am unaware of anyone being given or taking t

Thanks for your interest. Here is some research on it. Please check the scriptures  and note that in the King James version where it says LORD in uppercase the translators are refusing to use the Divi

A sin? that's debatable. However, it seems inappropriate. The divine name is incorporated in the names of many of the characters in the Bible record, but I am unaware of anyone being given or taking taking the sole name of Jehovah for themselves. Perhaps if they had we would have a better idea of it's original pronunciation...... 

(Exodus 6:2) Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. 3 And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.

(Exodus 20:7) “You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way, for Jehovah will not leave unpunished the one who takes up His name in a worthless way.

(Isaiah 12:2) Look! God is my salvation. I will trust and feel no dread; For Jah Jehovah is my strength and my might, And he has become my salvation.”

(Isaiah 42:8) I am Jehovah. That is my name; I give my glory to no one else, Nor my praise to graven images.

(Isaiah 43:10) “You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “Yes, my servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and have faith in me And understand that I am the same One. Before me no God was formed, And after me there has been none.(Isaiah 43:12) “I am the One who declared and saved and made known When there was no foreign god among you. So you are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “and I am God.  (We  can witness for his name, live up to it, and use it descriptively for our group of worshippers.)

Don't think anyone in the time of the Israelites would have dared to. Even in Jesus's day they would not pronounce the Divine Name because they thought it too holy.

We have more knowledge today about the meaning of the name (even though we don't know the correct Hebrew pronunciation). They are a lot of persons today (especially of the Rastafarian faith) with the abbreviated part of His name, Jah, added to their name as a prefix or suffix. However, I don't think anyone will dare use Jehovah as their personal name.

Don't forget we too bear God's name as his witnesses (see Isaiah 43:12). We understand his uniqueness and loftiness, so we won't even think of using it as a personal name. We are encouraged to imitate him as beloved children; yet we know that no imperfect person can even approach Him without the covering of his Son's ransom. We don't want to be like him in the way that Satan and Eve tried to be, either; taking anything unique to Him, including privileges and worship that don't belong to us.

Whether persons attempt to use the name as a personal name or not, Jehovah is able to protect it and his reputation.

N.B. Jah and Jehovah are anglicized renditions of the Divine Name,  יהוה (YHWH)

On 5/10/2016 at 7:16 AM, Melinda Mills said:

(Exodus 6:2) Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. 3 And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty, but with regard to my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.

(Exodus 20:7) “You must not take up the name of Jehovah your God in a worthless way, for Jehovah will not leave unpunished the one who takes up His name in a worthless way.

(Isaiah 12:2) Look! God is my salvation. I will trust and feel no dread; For Jah Jehovah is my strength and my might, And he has become my salvation.”

(Isaiah 42:8) I am Jehovah. That is my name; I give my glory to no one else, Nor my praise to graven images.

(Isaiah 43:10) “You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “Yes, my servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and have faith in me And understand that I am the same One. Before me no God was formed, And after me there has been none.(Isaiah 43:12) “I am the One who declared and saved and made known When there was no foreign god among you. So you are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “and I am God.  (We  can witness for his name, live up to it, and use it descriptively for our group of worshippers.)

Don't think anyone in the time of the Israelites would have dared to. Even in Jesus's day they would not pronounce the Divine Name because they thought it too holy.

We have more knowledge today about the meaning of the name (even though we don't know the correct Hebrew pronunciation). They are a lot of persons today (especially of the Rastafarian faith) with the abbreviated part of His name, Jah, added to their name as a prefix or suffix. However, I don't think anyone will dare use Jehovah as their personal name.

Don't forget we too bear God's name as his witnesses (see Isaiah 43:12). We understand his uniqueness and loftiness, so we won't even think of using it as a personal name. We are encouraged to imitate him as beloved children; yet we know that no imperfect person can even approach Him without the covering of his Son's ransom. We don't want to be like him in the way that Satan and Eve tried to be, either; taking anything unique to Him, including privileges and worship that don't belong to us.

Whether persons attempt to use the name as a personal name or not, Jehovah is able to protect it and his reputation.

N.B. Jah and Jehovah are anglicized renditions of the Divine Name,  יהוה (YHWH)

interesting that you quote exodus 6:2 &3 here. The name of God was only spoken in the Holy of Holies on one time of the year, and by Aaron and his successors. But I think I remember you saying that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob would have known the name. 

Thanks for your interest. Here is some research on it. Please check the scriptures  and note that in the King James version where it says LORD in uppercase the translators are refusing to use the Divine Name YHWH (Yahweh or Jehovah). You are free to agree or otherwise. This will be my only reply.

*** w83 10/15 p. 30 Exodus—From Tyranny to Theocratic Order ***

6:3—Since Abraham, Isaac and Jacob used the name Jehovah, in what sense had God not made it known to them?

The name Jehovah literally means “He Causes to Become,” that is, according to God’s purpose. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob used the divine name and received promises from Jehovah. Yet they did not know or experience Jehovah as the One who caused these promises to be completely fulfilled. (Genesis 12:1, 2; 15:7, 13-16; 26:24; 28:10-15) However, Jehovah’s name soon would take on greater meaning for their descendants, the Israelites. They would come to know its real meaning when Jehovah carried out his purpose toward Israel by delivering them from tyranny and then giving them the Promised Land in fulfillment of his covenant with their forefathers.

*** w14 7/15 p. 27 “You Are My Witnesses” ***

WHAT GOD’S NAME MEANS

14 To enhance our appreciation for the honor of bearing God’s name, it is good for us to meditate on its meaning. Commonly translated “Jehovah,” the divine name comes from a Hebrew verb that can describe action and can be translated “to become.” Thus, the name Jehovah is understood to mean “He Causes to Become.” This definition well fits Jehovah’s role both as the Creator of the physical universe and intelligent beings and as the Fulfiller of his purpose. As events unfold, he continues to cause his will and purpose to be realized no matter what any opposer, such as Satan, may do in an attempt to thwart the progressive outworking of God’s will.

15 When commissioning Moses to lead God’s people out of Egypt, Jehovah revealed an aspect of his personality by using a related verb to describe his name, this time in the first person. The Bible record states: “God said to Moses: ‘I Will Become What I Choose to Become’ [or, “I Will Prove to Be What I Will Prove to Be”]. And he added: ‘This is what you are to say to the Israelites, “I Will Become has sent me to you.”’” (Ex. 3:14; ftn.) Thus Jehovah, in any circumstance, will become whatever is needed to accomplish his purpose. To the once-enslaved Israelites, he proved to be a Deliverer, a Protector, a Guide, and a Provider who satisfied all their material and spiritual needs.

On 5/12/2016 at 4:27 AM, Melinda Mills said:

Thanks for your interest. Here is some research on it. Please check the scriptures  and note that in the King James version where it says LORD in uppercase the translators are refusing to use the Divine Name YHWH (Yahweh or Jehovah). You are free to agree or otherwise. This will be my only reply.

*** w83 10/15 p. 30 Exodus—From Tyranny to Theocratic Order ***

6:3—Since Abraham, Isaac and Jacob used the name Jehovah, in what sense had God not made it known to them?

The name Jehovah literally means “He Causes to Become,” that is, according to God’s purpose. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob used the divine name and received promises from Jehovah. Yet they did not know or experience Jehovah as the One who caused these promises to be completely fulfilled. (Genesis 12:1, 2; 15:7, 13-16; 26:24; 28:10-15) However, Jehovah’s name soon would take on greater meaning for their descendants, the Israelites. They would come to know its real meaning when Jehovah carried out his purpose toward Israel by delivering them from tyranny and then giving them the Promised Land in fulfillment of his covenant with their forefathers.

*** w14 7/15 p. 27 “You Are My Witnesses” ***

WHAT GOD’S NAME MEANS

14 To enhance our appreciation for the honor of bearing God’s name, it is good for us to meditate on its meaning. Commonly translated “Jehovah,” the divine name comes from a Hebrew verb that can describe action and can be translated “to become.” Thus, the name Jehovah is understood to mean “He Causes to Become.” This definition well fits Jehovah’s role both as the Creator of the physical universe and intelligent beings and as the Fulfiller of his purpose. As events unfold, he continues to cause his will and purpose to be realized no matter what any opposer, such as Satan, may do in an attempt to thwart the progressive outworking of God’s will.

15 When commissioning Moses to lead God’s people out of Egypt, Jehovah revealed an aspect of his personality by using a related verb to describe his name, this time in the first person. The Bible record states: “God said to Moses: ‘I Will Become What I Choose to Become’ [or, “I Will Prove to Be What I Will Prove to Be”]. And he added: ‘This is what you are to say to the Israelites, “I Will Become has sent me to you.”’” (Ex. 3:14; ftn.) Thus Jehovah, in any circumstance, will become whatever is needed to accomplish his purpose. To the once-enslaved Israelites, he proved to be a Deliverer, a Protector, a Guide, and a Provider who satisfied all their material and spiritual needs.

Exodus 6:2 refutes you.

19 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

Genesis 4:26 refutes you.

Moses wrote Genesis, Moses knew Gods name according to Exodus 6. Of course he would write it where it applies in the earlier accounts. God told Moses that He did not make Himself know to Abraham, Issac and Jacob as "YHWH" but only as God Almighty. 

so tell me how Abraham, Issac and Jacob missed out on this? God said He appeared to Abraham, Issac and Jacob only as God Almighty, so these three were not worthy to know His name, but the rest of the people were?

Again, take into account who wrote Genesis, and who was the first to know God's name? Same guy...Moses. 

1 hour ago, Shiwiii said:

so tell me how Abraham, Issac and Jacob missed out on this?

I think that's for you to resolve.

I don't know why you keep referring to Moses either. Why not answer the question?

3 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

The people, not Moses. What name did they call on?

not for me to resolve, it is scripture.

Exodus 6:2 

And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the Lord:

And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them.

Moses was the one who wrote Genesis, and thus the reason why I refer to Moses. Think about it, if you knew all of the characters of a story that someone had told you and they didn't, after the person who told you died, you write the story. Are you going to leave out the names of the characters just because the person who told you the story didn't know them? No, and neither would Moses. You would include all of the facts that you knew to make the story as accurate as possible. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.