The World News Media

Annoying phrase of the day: MARITAL ARRANGEMENT

Jack Ryan

Saw an IG story from a former friend of mine: “Jehovah’s blessing on your marital arrangement!”

How culty does that sound?!

Cringe x 100

Yeah, they can't just say "marriage" because that'd make them sound, erm, normal.

I think it is to subtly highlight (manipulate) that the marriage is an "arrangement" or contract by the JW's and "Jehovah" - rather than a "marriage" between two people. "Marriage" makes it sound like it is their own personal and private bond that doesn't necessarily involve the JWs or "Jehovah".

• Views 298
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Better stick to the old words for marital arrangement because the new sexual revolution is bringing in child marriage and 57 different gender arrangements... so I guess it is better to cling to the ol

Biblical marriage arrangement is a good term to use, otherwise people will start marrying their couches.

I don't think it's subtle. I think it's exactly intended to do what you say: to make us think of Jehovah's arrangement. It's the way Jesus spoke of marriage, as an arrangement set up in the beginning

On 10/7/2019 at 7:54 AM, Jack Ryan said:

I think it is to subtly highlight (manipulate) that the marriage is an "arrangement" or contract by the JW's and "Jehovah" - rather than a "marriage" between two people. "Marriage" makes it sound like it is their own personal and private bond that doesn't necessarily involve the JWs or "Jehovah".

I don't think it's subtle. I think it's exactly intended to do what you say: to make us think of Jehovah's arrangement. It's the way Jesus spoke of marriage, as an arrangement set up in the beginning by God, between one man and one woman.

Besides, it's a little better than the "institution of marriage" because that sounds too much like, well, an "institution." A common expression in the Southern U.S. was "the institution of slavery." I'm not making any connection between the two, however.

12 minutes ago, JW Insider said:

I don't think it's subtle. I think it's exactly intended to do what you say: to make us think of Jehovah's arrangement. It's the way Jesus spoke of marriage, as an arrangement set up in the beginning by God, between one man and one woman.

Last night, as usual, I wowed my wife with romance. 

I plied her with flowers. I pumped some wine at her. I took her  to one of those fancy MacDonalds where they bring your food right to you.

Afterwards, as I led her to the bedroom, she said: “Why are you so lovey-dovey tonight?”

“It’s the arrangement,” I told her. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.