The World News Media

Matthew9969

Acts 10 New International Version (NIV)

Cornelius Calls for Peter

10 At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.

The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

When the angel who spoke to him had gone, Cornelius called two of his servants and a devout soldier who was one of his attendants. He told them everything that had happened and sent them to Joppa.

Peter’s Vision

About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. 10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. 11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners. 12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. 13 Then a voice told him, “Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.”

14 “Surely not, Lord!” Peter replied. “I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.”

15 The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.”

16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.

17 While Peter was wondering about the meaning of the vision, the men sent by Cornelius found out where Simon’s house was and stopped at the gate. 18 They called out, asking if Simon who was known as Peter was staying there.

19 While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, “Simon, three[a] men are looking for you. 20 So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them.”

21 Peter went down and said to the men, “I’m the one you’re looking for. Why have you come?”

22 The men replied, “We have come from Cornelius the centurion. He is a righteous and God-fearing man, who is respected by all the Jewish people. A holy angel told him to ask you to come to his house so that he could hear what you have to say.” 23 Then Peter invited the men into the house to be his guests.

Peter at Cornelius’s House

The next day Peter started out with them, and some of the believers from Joppa went along. 24 The following day he arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. 26 But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.”

27 While talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. 28 He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. 29 So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?”

30 Cornelius answered: “Three days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me 31 and said, ‘Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor. 32 Send to Joppa for Simon who is called Peter. He is a guest in the home of Simon the tanner, who lives by the sea.’ 33 So I sent for you immediately, and it was good of you to come. Now we are all here in the presence of God to listen to everything the Lord has commanded you to tell us.”

34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. 36 You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, announcing the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37 You know what has happened throughout the province of Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

39 “We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a cross, 40 but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. 41 He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. 42 He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43 All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues[b] and praising God.

Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

We studied this chapter in a men's bible study group yesterday and I would like the JW's view on one certain aspect....Cornelius....believed in God, used by God, a military officer/centurion. 

What I see here is that military service is not frowned upon by God, it actually shows that God can and will use individuals in the military for His will. And an aside from that, bringing in Matthew 28:19,20, since our military is stationed world wide, this would be another avenue God could choose to spread His good news into all the earth.

I welcome everyone's thoughts.

• Views 910
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@4Jah2me Not only that, something that I've debated on a while back, and others chimed in, you and your enemy are God fearing men who seek God to gain you victory. A True Christian and or someone who

You have failed your argument because you did not give details about Cornelius and you are (like a jw), assuming you know my beliefs about certain matters and painting me with a general brush.

That's the thing - we do not live in a perfect world, but as a man of God, a follower of Christ, you should have the sense to know better during the End Times. Clearly. Not all instances can be

Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right. 

Maybe it is that God is not partial but gives everyone a change to serve Him. If a person is in the military because they think it is right to be there then they are maybe not sinning in God's eyes. But once they find out that war is wrong, and that killing people is wrong, then God will expect them to change their ways. 

Look at those words from Peter. God accepts those that fear Him and 'does what is right'. That means 'Does what is right in God's viewpoint, not man's. We all know how wrong war is, how wrong man's inhumanity to man is. The Nation of Israel had a totally different purpose, that of bringing Jesus Christ onto this Earth, so God made them or allowed them to go to war, to keep their nation as clean and safe as possible.  God's way is different now, it's to show love to as many as we can and be peaceable with all where possible. We know that God is not partial, so it would be wrong for us to be. 

@4Jah2me Not only that, something that I've debated on a while back, and others chimed in, you and your enemy are God fearing men who seek God to gain you victory. A True Christian and or someone who has become a Christian and building up in faith would know that War is not the solution, and going to War is wrong, so in the Christians case, even to the JWs, neutrality is something that must be put into application.

@Matthew9969 

That being said, if one is of God, we do not take the side of men to commit bloodshed on other men. Fighting an old man's war that has no solution, but rather, consequences, and more sons and daughters to be butchered, killed, raped, blown to shreds,tormented, etc. The mainstream accepts this, even marvel at the bombing of men, women and children apparently, true ones do not.

When the rich and powerful wage war, it is the poor and the lowly, humble ones that pay for it in death.

Likewise with Kingdoms and authorizes, submit, but do not serve them over God himself because it is only God's Kingdom that will cure the sickness that is imperfection concerning mankind.

4 hours ago, Space Merchant said:

@4Jah2me Not only that, something that I've debated on a while back, and others chimed in, you and your enemy are God fearing men who seek God to gain you victory. A True Christian and or someone who has become a Christian and building up in faith would know that War is not the solution, and going to War is wrong, so in the Christians case, even to the JWs, neutrality is something that must be put into application.

@Matthew9969 

That being said, if one is of God, we do not take the side of men to commit bloodshed on other men. Fighting an old man's war that has no solution, but rather, consequences, and more sons and daughters to be butchered, killed, raped, blown to shreds,tormented, etc. The mainstream accepts this, even marvel at the bombing of men, women and children apparently, true ones do not.

When the rich and powerful wage war, it is the poor and the lowly, humble ones that pay for it in death.

Likewise with Kingdoms and authorizes, submit, but do not serve them over God himself because it is only God's Kingdom that will cure the sickness that is imperfection concerning mankind.

I agree with you if we lived in a perfect world, but it's not. Does the believer just stand idle and watch others be killed, raped, tortured, etc., and hope it does not come to their family and then to again just sit and watch it happen to your family. 

Stopping the evil actions of others does not make one a raptist, butcherer, war monger, does it?

7 hours ago, Matthew9969 said:

I agree with you if we lived in a perfect world, but it's not.

That's the thing - we do not live in a perfect world, but as a man of God, a follower of Christ, you should have the sense to know better during the End Times.

Does the believer just stand idle and watch others be killed, raped, tortured, etc.,

Clearly. Not all instances can be stopped 100%. You can save and or help one, but the other you cannot. We as Christians can help people, but we do not take orders of men of the world to strike down another man who is blindly following the same order. The fact you support going to war only adds more fuel to the fire.

In this sense, you are among the fold who are very supportive of such. I can tell you this, some in the military that I've met don't always want to go fight, others, wish for war to cease, like you said, "a perfect world", but clearly, the rich and power and Babylon has their ways.

and hope it does not come to their family and then to again just sit and watch it happen to your family. 

Unfortunately we live in a sin filled war. Unlike you I had seen my fair share of blood and death, some I had prevented, but it does not change the fact that I take drastic action that would cause me to strike and kill someone, who is also God fearing.

Stopping the evil actions of others does not make one a raptist, butcherer, war monger, does it?

You clearly do not know what happens in war. There are evil people out there. They have men fight and kill other people's sons and daughters, some of their sons and daughters are butchered and raped, and brutally murdered. You can prevent an action in this village, but you cannot in the next.

Man, no, mankind cannot solve all problems, they cannot prevent all problems, let alone make corrections and or solutions to benefit all people. You and I both know that is impossible, for if that was the case, we would not have a need for God's Day. Only God and his Christ can solve mankind's problems, the very reason God made Jesus King and has given him power and authority, hence the gospel of Matthew and what we read in Hebrews. Only God's Kingdom is perfect and can cure the imperfections of man, and by means of God's Kingdom, His Kingdom will crush all of man's Kingdoms, hence Daniel 2.

That being said, I would also like to point out, of the Temptation of Jesus gospel (Matthew 4:8-10; Luke 4:5-8), what Satan tried to offer God's Son is the Kingdom of this world (governments), and what was Jesus' reaction? He refused and even told the fallen one that it is God that he must render religious worship to, for in this interaction, Jesus, a born Jew, quoted what was written in the Law.

So in regards to going to War, as a Christian, the blunt and absolute and obvious elementary answer is - No.

Yet again, the line is painted between True Christians and Mainstream Christians, and it does not surprise me in this sense to see why the Atheists nowadays like to make jokes in this case of Christians and War, even to the point some would even point out the fact that Jesus is for guns and bloodshed - blasphemy.

That being said, you and I both know this is not a perfect world. Be God fearing and continue to wait for the End Times and Tribulations, try to reach out for hearts - not physically disrupt someone's heart by force and or violence to cease their life, Matthew.

15 hours ago, Matthew9969 said:

Still no thoughts on why God was using a soldier for His will. Just the usual liner that jws are the only religion that doesn't go to war.

The funny thing is, this still does not help your case, but rather, it shows how little you know of Cornelius. I can tell you this, his history on how he came to become a Gentile Christian pretty much defeats the purpose of what you are attempting to convey. Your case would have been helped if Cornelius continued his trek as a Gentile Christian, thus shows how little you know of the man, and how little you know of the hermenutics of Acts 10.

You have to be very ignorant to think that JWs are the only ones. There are Christians out there who DO NOT SUPPORT going to war, let alone going against a brother of another nation. Then again, you mainstreamers and conservatives consider dropping a bomb on men, women and children is a Godsend, which is a parallel to the early creed followers who think that the death of a Presbyter was something to rejoice about.

That being said, if we are to apply what you've applied, it would have branded the common folk as a mainstream Christian - which you are.

I am a believer of God and a follower of his Son Jesus, perhaps maybe you should try doing the same thing, or continue to pick and choose, and think that God is somehow OK with such ideology.

7 hours ago, Space Merchant said:

The funny thing is, this still does not help your case, but rather, it shows how little you know of Cornelius. I can tell you this, his history on how he came to become a Gentile Christian pretty much defeats the purpose of what you are attempting to convey. Your case would have been helped if Cornelius continued his trek as a Gentile Christian, thus shows how little you know of the man, and how little you know of the hermenutics of Acts 10.

You have to be very ignorant to think that JWs are the only ones. There are Christians out there who DO NOT SUPPORT going to war, let alone going against a brother of another nation. Then again, you mainstreamers and conservatives consider dropping a bomb on men, women and children is a Godsend, which is a parallel to the early creed followers who think that the death of a Presbyter was something to rejoice about.

That being said, if we are to apply what you've applied, it would have branded the common folk as a mainstream Christian - which you are.

I am a believer of God and a follower of his Son Jesus, perhaps maybe you should try doing the same thing, or continue to pick and choose, and think that God is somehow OK such ideology.

You have failed your argument because you did not give details about Cornelius and you are (like a jw), assuming you know my beliefs about certain matters and painting me with a general brush.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, Matthew9969 said:

You have failed your argument because you did not give details about Cornelius and you are (like a jw),

That is a very weak response, but on the contrary – it is you who lack regarding the Gentile, Cornelius. I need not give detail about Cornelius because his history is widely known, and I do not pick apart his history to justify man’s way of governing all things pertaining to “unjust” war (or going with what you are conveying), of which you should be aware of, regardless, let alone comparing today’s era to the Roman Empire, which can easily backfire. You throw JWs in here as if the world has seemingly forgotten what God and his Christ is all about, that is, unless you show a verse that says otherwise – of which I am intrigued to see what you will convey.

Cornelius (the Gentile) was formerly a Roman Centurion of the Cohors II Italica Civium Romanorum who was stationed in Caesarea, the Capital the province - Iudaea Province. Cornelius was one of the first Gentiles converted to the Christian Faith, as can be seen, by any honest reader, in the Book of Acts. Some even hold to Certain tradition that Cornelius became either the first Bishop of Caesarea, and or the Bishop of Scepsis in Mysia.

Other things to note, Cornelius was one of the first Gentiles converted to Christianity.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, Matthew9969 said:

assuming you know my beliefs about certain matters and painting me with a general brush.

But the thing is, you are of the general bunch – the mainstream. Which is evident due to the fact that in the past here, you’ve have shown such display of such before regarding celebration of birth, charity, paganist silliness, as is with unsound claims, etc. – this is no different. You pointed out Acts 10 as if it is some justification of Christians going partaking in war, something of which we should not be partaking of at all.

That being said, clearly you can see in Acts 10, Cornelius became a True Christian, and there is no history of warmongering after his conversion, likewise with his brothers and sisters, they know to serve God and follow his Christ, for they know world powers who commit to war cannot stop mankind’s problems, but rather, it is the Kingdom of God, and the one whom he has anointed to sit at the throne, the Lamb, that is, Christ Jesus.

After all, if Christians did go to war, would it not contradict what is said in Scripture (Isaiah 2:4)? And yet the examples continue like that of a rushing river. Jesus commanded us, Christians, to not be part of the world as seen in John 17:16), and as can be seen, war by hands of man originates from the world itself - not of God, that is, if you partake in the "God" of this world, then that is a whole other boîte de pandore. Therefore, it is no surprise that Christians (some Jews and Muslims as well), are neutral, not taking a side politically, protest (Non-Reformationist) in regard to military and or political stances, etc. In addition, Christians do not go to war with other Christians - period. A man of Christ you are, you say, but something of this regard shouldn't be ignored, for just as God is Love, Jesus has this too, and since we are his followers, prophets, Christians, we display this quality too, for as anyone who takes Shema seriously, this is to be put into application.

That being said, the final point, which can be made is this, when it comes to the issue of “killing”, it was prohibited, regarding the early church. Be the discussion of military service and or warfare, you do not see Christians partaking in such, especially when killing is in question. There is also no record within the first 300 years of Christianity’s rise that killing was ever a justification of things.

The issue of killing was prohibited in every mention by early church writers. Whenever the issue of military service and warfare was discussed, Christians were prohibited from participating. Nowhere in the written record in the first three hundred years of Christianity is killing ever justified. Not even for soldiers. Moreover, to add on in fact, the earliest churches had rejected war and killing in all its forms, and spinning the clock once again, even in the days of Constantine, not one writer has ever said it is right to kill or join the military.

So it would seem that Bible Study of yours would need to be evaluated whereas more focus on the facts over feelings in this regard, hence why I can make the point I made about you – the very soul who is among mainstream Christianity (which is extremely evident, hence other discussions, concerning you Matthew.)