The World News Media

BASIC FOUNDATION BELIEFS OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

Patiently waiting for Truth

7 hours ago, JW Insider said:

years since Adam. When that failed, the prediction was for the period up to the year 2000.

This us not true. I never read any of this in the publications. ...... I have been a JW since 1973.

Any organization which is NOT willing to adjust reminds me of Muslims. Everything set in stone..... no adjustment because word of Allah came down from heaven.  I also recall the church I belonged to before becoming a JW. Doctrine was  set in stone...... trinity, immortality of soul, jesus is God etc. 

Glad to belong to a religion where they are prepared to acknowledge they did not have correct understanding....... or refine teachings.

• Views 3.1k
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that if there were a lot of new things, many folks would just complain that it represents things we had wrong and had to change. The basic foundational beliefs have been around for quite a whi

I'm sure it's been pointed out under the many prior 1975 topics in this forum. The fact that the prediction was for the 1970's, not 1975 is easily seen from the articles called, for example, "Wha

Here's just a few off the top of my head, and I could include a dozen more: We got back to the higher powers (superior authorities) being secular in the very early 60's. Made smoking a DF offense

5 hours ago, Arauna said:

This us not true. I never read any of this in the publications

I'm sure it's been pointed out under the many prior 1975 topics in this forum.

The fact that the prediction was for the 1970's, not 1975 is easily seen from the articles called, for example, "What Will the 1970's Bring?" and the Circuit Assembly badges we wore that asked: "Who Will Conquer the World in the 1970's?"

The reason for 1970's instead of 1975 was because of articles and talks that made the following points:

*** Watchtower 1968 August 15 p. 499 par. 30 Why Are You Looking Forward to 1975? ***
30 Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man’s existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ.  . . . It does not necessarily mean that 1975 marks the end of the first 6,000 years of Jehovah’s seventh creative “day.” Why not? Because after his creation Adam lived some time during the “sixth day,” which unknown amount of time would need to be subtracted from Adam’s 930 years, to determine when the sixth seven-thousand-year period or “day” ended, and how long Adam lived into the “seventh day.” And yet the end of that sixth creative “day” could end within the same Gregorian calendar year of Adam’s creation. It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.

If that difference between the end of six thousand years since Adam, and the end of the "sixth day" could not be a matter of years, then this means that it must be less than two years from the autumn of 1975. After the autumn of 1977 it would have become a matter of years, not just months.

Then, especially after the 1970's, the focus of the prediction moved to a time before the year 2000:

The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah p. 216
"Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom."

Watchtower 1984 Mar 1 pp.18-19
"Some of that "generation" could survive until the end of the century. But there are many indications that "the end" is much closer than that!"

"Let Your Kingdom Come" (1981) p.102
"But now in our 20th century, we have come to the time for harvest  "a conclusion of a system of things, and the reapers are angels"!"

Watchtower 1989 Jan 1 p.12
"He was laying a foundation for a work that would be completed in our 20th century."

12 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

think here in the UK we would call that flannel (

If teaching a better understanding of "sacrificial love" is flannel...... then your understanding of how society should function is limited....... as most Western societies are now having a problem with the fabric of society.  Religious, racial hate is escalating. People are looking to "social engineering " and post modern philosophy to provide answers.  They are now promoting new minorities such as LGBTQ and protected religions. Soon the UN will bring  in their arbitrary values to create "peace and security"  but will fail at the peace. 

Amidst all this - jehovahs people are United under the moral values taught by christ.  In countries divided by racial hate such as south  africa and  growing racial divide in USA ...... we are United and the  level of support and  care for each other improving. 

The core teachings of truth are there - we just need to improve our social skills with each other to meet the standards of jehovah as taught by jesus and his apostles...... 

16 hours ago, Matthew9969 said:

Arauna….id love to know which Christian religions promote smoking.

I can do better: most allow smoking, pre marital sex, use of predictions, superstition, use of idols, and many are now voting for approval of homosexuality and LGBTQ..... I can go on .... 

Arauna...you didn't prove what you stated. I have been associated with dozens of Christian religions and have never found one that promotes smoking, pre marital sex, use of predictions, use of idols and voting for approval of homosexuality. So you are lying and spreading falsehood, something that your Jehovah hates. Now you need to come up with something or stop commenting because your making the jw's look even worse.

10 hours ago, Arauna said:

If teaching a better understanding of "sacrificial love" is flannel...... then your understanding of how society should function is limited....... as most Western societies are now having a problem with the fabric of society.  Religious, racial hate is escalating. People are looking to "social engineering " and post modern philosophy to provide answers.  They are now promoting new minorities such as LGBTQ and protected religions. Soon the UN will bring  in their arbitrary values to create "peace and security"  but will fail at the peace. 

Amidst all this - jehovahs people are United under the moral values taught by christ.  In countries divided by racial hate such as south  africa and  growing racial divide in USA ...... we are United and the  level of support and  care for each other improving. 

The core teachings of truth are there - we just need to improve our social skills with each other to meet the standards of jehovah as taught by jesus and his apostles...... 

I can do better: most allow smoking, pre marital sex, use of predictions, superstition, use of idols, and many are now voting for approval of homosexuality and LGBTQ..... I can go on .... 

@Arauna   I have to say very bluntly that you talk rubbish.  Always going on ( OCD ) about the Devil's world. 

I think your understanding of English English  (as opposed to American English)  is very poor. Not the understanding of the words but  the understanding of the meaning of what I write. I will give you the benefit of the doubt, that you do not understand me, otherwise it is that you deliberately misquote me. 

Oh @JW Insider  what twaddle. Changing man made things / Traditions of men. That is not 'New Light'  That is not God supplying Holy Spirit to reveal important things. That is not a F&DS  supply 'food at the proper time'.  It is showing that so many mistakes were made in the past, that it could not have had God's / Christ's guidance.  

Quote , We got back to the higher powers (superior authorities) being secular in the very early 60's. .......

But this was an ORIGINAL TEACHING of the Bible Students.  Those in power changed it for their own purpose, and it would have caused many deaths or great suffering in WW2 I would presume. 

Quote Made smoking a DF offense, which has probably improved the health of thousands. 

But it was known in the late 1800's by the Bible Students that Smoking was wrong. However, to keep people in the Org, it was allowed until the numbers grew. I'm sure it was mentioned in the purple book. Is it the Kingdom book. 

Just as Christmas was allowed for years, until 1926 ?, even in Bethel   ( I wish I had a better memory) .

Quote. "We dropped the District Overseer. We reduced the quotas for various pioneer titles. We replaced the separate meeting for the "book study" to be replaced with personal/family study and more focus on field service."

Traditions of men. or Man made ideas. NOTHING to do with serving God properly. Not NEW Important teachings.

And then you go on about dates/ years, when the scriptures simply tell us we will not know the day or the hour.  Those dates are once again Man made teachings, and God tells us 'Put not your trust in earthling man'.   Proof positive with all the changes made. 

Quote "We now tell parents and guardians that they are free to inform authorities about child sexual abuse without concern for anyone's reputation. We now include elders informing authorities as part of the process wherever it is the law to do so. "

The GB / Org has been forced to do this due to so many court cases . BUT You must be saying then that the GB / ORG told people they  WERE NOT FREE TO REPORT BEFORE.  

Quote "I see nothing wrong with thinking of the GB as anointed 

If the GB were anointed, would they seriously tell others of the anointed that the others are not the F&DS ?  Just those 8 men

Would an anointed GB tell others of the anointed, not to contact each other or to study God's word together ?

Are they not ALL the BODY OF CHRIST ?  Should they all not be united  as one ? 

10.30 pm UK time. Enough for now. 

10 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

have to say very bluntly that you talk rubbish.  Always going on ( OCD ) about the Devil's world. 

I think your understanding of English English  (as opposed to American English)  is very poor. Not the

I understand how a moral society is supposed to function. I BET, you have no clue of social studies 101.   

I also bet - you do not notice the worsening morality in the West because you are not abreast with what is eally going on in the secular world.(misquote from you - I never speak of the Devil's world) .... so yea, it may come across as OCD but it is based on comparisons in the real world out there.

Regarding the English - lol.  My first language is not English and the English we speak has words such as " i am coming now-now" in it........ which means: in a minute.  I used to write in English for newspapers and magazines but that was a long time ago and I had to watch the rules, which I have already forgotten. 

Now- I do not care.  I write as I speak..... no ego to write accurately because I only use it as a tool to communicate.... appearances do not matter to me - only substance. 

9 hours ago, Arauna said:

I understand how a moral society is supposed to function. I BET, you have no clue of social studies 101.   

I also bet - you do not notice the worsening morality in the West because you are not abreast with what is eally going on in the secular world.(misquote from you - I never speak of the Devil's world) .... so yea, it may come across as OCD but it is based on comparisons in the real world out there.

Regarding the English - lol.  My first language is not English and the English we speak has words such as " i am coming now-now" in it........ which means: in a minute.  I used to write in English for newspapers and magazines but that was a long time ago and I had to watch the rules, which I have already forgotten. 

Now- I do not care.  I write as I speak..... no ego to write accurately because I only use it as a tool to communicate.... appearances do not matter to me - only substance. 

@Arauna  I wish you would bet, as I think you would  owe me money :) 

Of course I have some idea of what goes on in the world. But it is the Devil's world, so should we expect anything different. 

In some ways it is encouraging to see the immorality in that 'world'. It is only proving God's word as correct. Critical times hard to deal with. Having no natural affection. Giving themselves over to lust and homosexuality.  It shows the need for God through Christ to intervene.. 

I only used the OCD as you love to use it so much when talking of others. 

http://socialstudiesproject.org/

1 hour ago, 4Jah2me said:

But it is the Devil's world, so should we expect anything different. 

Oh.... wrote an answer and lost it..... start again....

I totally agree with you.... so you win the bet.  Lol.    When I compare the developments in the world to the core knowledge we have - then my appreciation grows.

Yes, there are renegades among us who bring shame on us with their wickedness.  But were we not warned about the rocks in our love-feasts which we can stumble against?  

My life changed when I did an in-depth study of Islam (read Quran, some hadith and sirah)....... I thought through the social structures of Islam and its promises to rule the world...... and its laws...... It made me analyze society and what the future society under jehovah will look like.... in order to show the differences in Islam and Jehovahs government.  I also compared sharia law and Torah /talmud  with the self-sacrificing love and principles taught by the true messenger from God- jesus.

Atheists also have no moral compass for society to function well.  Good and bad is subjective to them - not objective.  We are all supposed to be equal under God. As society is slowly replacing God with post modern and other human philosophies,  we are seeing a regression of conditions in first world societies...... the incompatibility of the iron and clay..... 

The neo-communistic philosophies that have infiltrated western societies through the Frankfort school of thought (Marxism also wants to rule the world)  and its alliances with Islam in the west - this favours an undercurrent of clashes and in future.  The UN has already brought in strict laws against islamaphobia to maintain "peace and order "  and they will bring in further new society rules to accommodate  new identified minorities. 

So yes,  I do have a different kind of OCD than some of our friends. I revert back to appreciation of the CORE teachings of the bible that is so different to  a fast- regressing secular world.  The first things I learnt from the bible which gave me my first love for God. These radical new and secular developments give me a good sense of where we are in the stream of time. 

11 minutes ago, Arauna said:

Oh.... wrote an answer and lost it..... start again....

I totally agree with you.... so you win the bet.  Lol.    When I compare the developments in the world to the core knowledge we have - then my appreciation grows.

Yes, there are renegades among us who bring shame on us with their wickedness.  But were we not warned about the rocks in our love-feasts which we can stumble against?  

My life changed when I did an in-depth study of Islam (read Quran, some hadith and sirah)....... I thought through the social structures of Islam and its promises to rule the world...... and its laws...... It made me analyze society and what the future society under jehovah will look like.... in order to show the differences in Islam and Jehovahs government.  I also compared sharia law and Torah /talmud  with the self-sacrificing love and principles taught by the true messenger from God- jesus.

Atheists also have no moral compass for society to function well.  Good and bad is subjective to them - not objective.  We are all supposed to be equal under God. As society is slowly replacing God with post modern and other human philosophies,  we are seeing a regression of conditions in first world societies...... the incompatibility of the iron and clay..... 

The neo-communistic philosophies that have infiltrated western societies through the Frankfort school of thought (Marxism also wants to rule the world)  and its alliances with Islam in the west - this favours an undercurrent of clashes and in future.  The UN has already brought in strict laws against islamaphobia to maintain "peace and order "  and they will bring in further new society rules to accommodate  new identified minorities. 

So yes,  I do have a different kind of OCD than some of our friends. I revert back to appreciation of the CORE teachings of the bible that is so different to  a fast- regressing secular world.  The first things I learnt from the bible which gave me my first love for God. These radical new and secular developments give me a good sense of where we are in the stream of time. 

I'm stunned. We have some sort of agreement here. 

But some of those 'core' teachings I knew when i was around ten years old and had never heard of JW's. 

We used to have a man in a van drive around our council estate. He was from Scripture Union. I would have discussions with him for many hours over the months.  I knew Jesus was not God. I knew the Trinity was rubbish.  I knew there was a hope for the future of a paradise earth. I don't know how I knew those things. 

14 hours ago, Arauna said:

We are encouraged by GB to think about things (meditate/ analyze) .  Our maturity in spiritual things depend on ourselves - the organization cannot teach us  this. 

@Arauna  I agree with you here, but the problem arises when, on thinking of spiritual things and reading the scriptures privately, we then find ourselves in disagreement with the teachings of the the GB  / JW Org. 

I have always been encouraged to pray for guidance of holy spirit and read the scriptures. But I do find that on reasoning on the scriptures, I have been troubled by the way the GB / JW Org have dealt with and are dealing with things. 

31 minutes ago, 4Jah2me said:

have always been encouraged to pray for guidance of holy spirit a

I do the same.. You will notice that I do have my own opinions on some things.... which comes from meditation......  .  I  will of course not go and teach this to others.  I teach the basic core teachings to my studies and help them to appreciate that they must do self study for maturity...  I also prepare them for their time as a witness when they will see that everyone is not perfect....... they may even bump their toe on a rock below the surface of the love-feasts..

Most new witnesses face a test with fellow witnesses after baptism -  or a new congregations - it is inevitable..... just depends on how big the test is.  I also help them to get life-skills as a witness.  Some did not learn this while at home or had too many bumps in life.  The qualities to survive and the attitudes that assist in cooperating with others and being kind and fitting in.

The realit y is: we are social animals and want to fit in , be successful in the group and it is hard on some people- especially if one has some weird personality quirks..... Navigating life - no matter where you go - is hard.  For us the workplace can be a specially hard because people expect us to be "better" than others...... when we are just ordinary people like everyone else..... The only difference is that we try to be faithful to god........ to the best of our very imperfect ability. Sometimes we must face ridicule for that...so as ordinary people we have to build up courage and work on our social skills to navigate out of difficult situations.

I have a very friendly personality and stand out easily..... as a woman this is not always a good thing.  So I have learnt to be smart and gauge the right time to say what I think.  Last year I went to see two Arabic brothers and spoke to them about their attitudes towards women..... because Arabs have an inbred attitude which the truth does not completely correct.... years and years of training in a certain way is not just going to disappear.  I waited for the right time and managed to do it successfully....   did they take my concerns to heart?   I do not know....  but I seemed to do OK afterward.  As I grew older I learnt to not keep quiet about my concerns....... but wait for a long time until the time is right and then talk.  Every time I was successful, I grew in maturity.  Now I help the young sisters to also grow strong and become pillars in the congregation. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.