The World News Media

Should true Christians use the word "Disaster"?

The Librarian

13 hours ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Perhaps to say "Father" or "Heavenly Father" would be best solution .... or "God", with large G letter :)

12 hours ago, Arauna said:

If you want to know the truth and really want to follow the truth....... why make up a title ?  

I never called my father by his first name, did you?   For thousands of years, the name “Jehovah” was never used.  Jesus never used it.  Isn’t he our prime example to follow?  Yes.  So, WHY do we choose what MEN say is proper? But the organization’s leaders decide to splash their entire Bible with a made-up name and exalt it, as if it is the tetragrammaton itself.  

There will be pros and cons to using the name “Jehovah”.  No matter what one scholar may say to defend it, it is not the tetragrammaton.  It is, as this reference put it, an “artificial” creation.

Some Christians, and especially Jehovah's witnesses, use this name for the Heavenly Father. However, every scholar and every reference book I have ever checked on "Jehovah" (including Jehovah's witness tracts) has said that this is not the way you pronounce His name! First of all it is impossible because of the fact that the Hebrew language has no "J" sound! According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, 1991 under the heading "Yahweh", here is how this name came into being:

"The Masoretes, who from about the 6th to the 10th century worked to reproduce the original text of the Hebrew Bible, replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew word Adonai or Elohim. Thus the artificial name Jehovah (YeHoWaH) came into being."

So we see here one of many confirmations that the name Jehovah is not really His name at all! But it is a artificial name that was invented by man. Does man have the right to change the name of the one who created him? I think not! But that is exactly what has happened here.

Now let's look a little more deeply into this name Jehovah. Notice that many Hebrew names contain the first part of Yahweh's name which is Yah. This is true in the name Isa-YAH (Hebrew: YeshaYAH), which means "Yah is Salvation". Also in Jeremi-Yah (Hebrew: YermeYAH), Obadiah, Zechariah, and so on. Taking this knowledge, apply this to the name Je-hovah with Jeh being the first part of His name. First of all it doesn't add up when it comes to the names of these prophets. (Isaiah's name isn't IsaJEH) Second, the Hovah part of Je-hovah means RUIN and MISCHIEF in Hebrew according to Strong's Concordance #1943:

#1943 Hovah, another form for 1942; RUIN:-MISCHIEF

Is this a good description of our Creator? Surely not!

http://www.eliyah.com/jhovah.htm

6 hours ago, b4ucuhear said:

I don't see anywhere that "hovah" (which is it's own and separate word) is used in relation to, or as a description of God/Jehovah in the Bible or even "a god of" ruin, disaster. Only from you.

It actually is broken down, but notice the emphasis is on “hovaw”:

יְהֹוָה Yᵉhôvâh,  yeh-ho-vaw'; from H1961; (the) self-Existent or Eternal; Jeho-vah, Jewish national name of God:—Jehovah, the Lord. Compare H3050H3069.

H1961:

הָיָה hâyâh, haw-yaw; a primitive root (compare H1933); to exist, i.e. be or become, come to pass (always emphatic, and not a mere copula or auxiliary):—beacon, × altogether, be(-come), accomplished, committed, like), break, cause, come (to pass), do, faint, fall, follow, happen, × have, last, pertain, quit (one-) self, require, × use.

H1933:

הָוָא hâvâʼ, haw-vaw'; or הָוָה hâvâh; a primitive root (compare H183H1961) supposed to mean properly, to breathe; to be (in the sense of existence):—be, × have.

You can keep going, following all the comparisons. 

This doesn’t discount the meaning of “hovah” (again, shown as “ho-vaw’”)

H1943:

הֹוָה hôvâh, ho-vaw'; another form for H1942; ruin:—mischief.

H1942:

הַוָּה havvâh, hav-vaw'; from H1933 (in the sense of eagerly coveting and rushing upon; by implication, of falling); desire; also ruin:—calamity, iniquity, mischief, mischievous (thing), naughtiness, naughty, noisome, perverse thing, substance, very wickedness.

See H1933 above.

What we believe, utter and practice, is our choice;  yet, I can see that there is a line that can be crossed where an individual’s blaspheming the name of the Almighty God can be taken for granted, and excused away.  What may feel comfortable to us and what men approve, may not be acceptable to God. 

“And whoever blasphemes the name of the Lord shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall certainly stone him, the stranger as well as him who is born in the land. When he blasphemes the name of the Lord, he shall be put to death.”  Lev 24:16

I don't care to take the chance of blaspheming the name of God.

Do I hate the organization, as you claim?  It defies the true Zion built on the anointed Temple/Body of Christ. (1 Pet 2:5,9; 1 Cor 3:16,17; Eph 2:20-22)   It has brought ruin and disaster to many lives.  I care for its people, but I hate its lies.  

• Views 4.4k
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, I think we go overboard in insinuating the worst for words that have lost their original meaning in modern parlance and that have become just an expression for which there doesn't seem to b

@Witness & @Srecko Sostar  you have both got me thinking on this now.  It is very interesting and it will get me re-reading the Greek Scriptures once again but from a different viewpoint. 

God has not given any authority to the GB or the rest of the Leaders of the CCJW. Even the GB admit to NOT BEING inspired by God's Holy Spirit, and they admit that they 'err', or deliberately do wrong

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Witness said:

I never called my father by his first name, did you? 

Of course, me too never did this.

I heard this sort of communication between children (son and daughter) and parents in one JW family in my ex congregation. Very strange to hear ....... This children never been baptized and they are now about 25 of age.

42 minutes ago, Arauna said:

Like the pharisees saw the miracles of Jesus but refused to acknowledge them, you are doing the same. There is ample proof about the name of Jehovah

On 4/5/2020 at 11:21 AM, Witness said:

The name-form Jehovah came to be when early translators took the vowels of Adonayʹ and inserted them between the consonants JHVH, and then changed the original “a” to “e” to aid in pronunciation of the name. Recent discoveries show this form of the name as early as A.D. 1270 in Raymond Martini’s Pugio Fidei. So the name-form Jehovah is one of long usage.

Are you saying this work was on account of a miracle?

47 minutes ago, Arauna said:

Like the pharisees saw the miracles of Jesus but refused to acknowledge them, you are doing the same. There is ample proof about the name of Jehovah....but your fruits are poisonous, everyone who eats them will die.

You have it backwards again, Arauna.  It was Jesus’ word against the leadership of the Pharisees.  Today, it is any sole anointed and their words of truth, against today’s 8 “Pharisees”.  Rev 13: 11,12, 14-17; Dan 11:27

You know! Those in leadership at the time this piece of fine “fruit” was published? 

Watchtower from May 15th 1984 - the "1914 The generation that will ...

Instead of being hung on a stake for speaking truth, they are considered spiritually "dead".  John 16:2; Rev 13:15  But, you probably will excuse it, and all other false doctrine by the WT, expecting everyone affected by this false teaching to just suck it up I suppose, and deal with it. 

Jesus spoke out against liars and their lies.   And, he warned those of his “household” (Eph 2:19-22) what their own people would call them who did the same,

It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household!  Matt 1025

1 hour ago, Srecko Sostar said:

Of course, me too never did this.

I heard this sort of communication between children (son and daughter) and parents in one JW family in my ex congregation. Very strange to hear ....... This children never been baptized and they are now about 25 of age.

I have a brother who would call my mother by her name, but only when upset with her.  Sometimes that lasted for years. 

Why shouldn’t true Christians use the word Disaster? Is that word any different from the word calamity?

Calamity /kəˈlamɪti/ noun: calamity; plural noun: calamities an event causing great and often sudden damage or distress; a disaster.

Psalms 18:18

They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.

You can find that expression in many texts within the Bible.

The calendar of “YHWH year of ransom 1903” is meant as a time derivative. Unless people are willing to understand the Bible Student era form of meticulous calculations, it wasn’t meant to replace the Georgian calendar. This in no way would have been considered by Bro Rutherford as to express, it was stupid or otherwise.

I would like to see where in the Bible student era publications he made such a forcible conclusion. Can it be, it’s just a matter of personal opinion?

18 hours ago, Arauna said:

Like the pharisees saw the miracles of Jesus but refused to acknowledge them, you are doing the same. There is ample proof about the name of Jehovah....but your fruits are poisonous, everyone who eats them will die.

@JW Insider   Says "We should still remember that Watchtower publications have admitted for decades that we chose to continue to use the common pronunciation, Jehovah, even though we considered Yahweh to be a more accurate pronunciation. "

@Arauna  You are then in fact arguing with your GB and the CCJW / Watchtower.  Your choice. 

Quote @JW Insider  "Wrong" would be if it could not be easily understood who we were referring to.

The name Jehovah wasn't known by many before the JWs existed.  And even today not many of the world's population know it as God's name. They know it as the name of the people that knock on the doors. 

It would have been just as easy to use Yahweh from the beginning of the Org. AND, if the Org had been inspired then GOD would have given it HIS real name, if HE wanted it to have such a name.

You people don't seem to know what you are saying. You really are not spiritual. 

IF GOD WANTED A PEOPLE FOR HIS NAME, HE WOULD HAVE USED HIS REAL NAME. 

18 hours ago, CrownRoyalAD said:

Why shouldn’t true Christians use the word Disaster? Is that word any different from the word calamity?

No reason true Christians shouldn't use "disaster." It's pretty much the same as "calamity" in meaning, but different in that the word "calamity" doesn't come from "dis + aster" implying a "wrong" or "bad" star. But of course it's lost any association with astrology. We still say "ominous" even if aren't concerned with omens. We say "martial law" even if we don't consider Mars to be a real war god. One could go on and on with dozens of words like this.  

Unless people are willing to understand the Bible Student era form of meticulous calculations, it wasn’t meant to replace the Georgian calendar.

Don't know if I can help you in any way, Allen, because I make a lot of writing mistakes myself. But one of the ways people can tell you are writing from an "Allen Smith" account is that so often you make statements that mean the opposite of what you intend to mean. For example, the sentence just quoted from you above actually means the same as saying:

If people are willing to understand the Bible Student era calculations, then it was meant to replace the Georgian [Gregorian] calendar.

In my opinion, I don't think this is what you meant to say. You probably meant that it was not meant to replace the Gregorian calendar. Of course, this idea is not clear from the article, which says that the Gregorian calendar should die "an ignomious death."

Can it be, it’s just a matter of personal opinion?

Yes, and I agree with Rutherford's opinion, as reported by persons who worked with Rutherford when he reportedly gave Woodworth a "vicious tongue lashing" over this calendar. In the Golden Age article (linked above) Woodworth says that the Gregorian calendar is from Satan.

image.png

Also, it was recommended that Witnesses begin making use of the calendar, which explains the way it handled the possible objection about writing the name "Jehovah" as a month name:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

15 hours ago, 4Jah2me said:

even today not many of the world's population know it as God's name. They

The bible translators knew the name. Jehovah appears about 5 times in the original King James version.  In south Africa all the native translations had the name in it more than 6000 times but the same company (which printed the Afrikaans bible) took the name completely out of it in 1933. 

Yea, JWs did stick to using this pronunciation: Jehovah! .... ..just amazing how the Spirit of Jehovah works!  It will be right in front of your eyes and you will not acknowledge  it...... 

On 4/7/2020 at 1:19 AM, Witness said:

It was Jesus’ word against the leadership of the Pharisees.  Today, it is any sole anointed and their words of truth, against today’s 8 “Pharisees”.  Rev 13: 11,12, 14-17; Dan 11:27

You know! Those in leadership at the time this piece of fine “fruit” was published? 

Watchtower from May 15th 1984 - the "1914 The generation that will ...

Instead of being hung on a stake for speaking truth, they are considered spiritually "dead".  John 16:2; Rev 13:15  But, you probably will excuse it, and all other false doctrine by the WT, expecting everyone affected by this false teaching to just suck it up I suppose, and deal with it. 

Jesus spoke out against liars and their lies.   And, he warned those of his “household” (Eph 2:19-22) what their own people would call them who did the same,

It is enough for a disciple that he be like his tea

The pharisees as a class rejected jesus. There were only individuals like Nicodemus who accepted Jesus and many of them were afraid to speak out. 

As a class in Jerusalem they conspired together to have him killed.  They all hated him.  The Sanhedrin took the final action as the legal entity granted limited powers by the Romans.

The could not get him on biblical grounds and reverted to political means. 

6 hours ago, Arauna said:

The bible translators knew the name. Jehovah appears about 5 times in the original King James version.  In south Africa all the native translations had the name in it more than 6000 times but the same company (which printed the Afrikaans bible) took the name completely out of it in 1933. 

Yea, JWs did stick to using this pronunciation: Jehovah! .... ..just amazing how the Spirit of Jehovah works!  It will be right in front of your eyes and you will not acknowledge  it...... 

This information below is directly from the Watchtower Online Library. 

The Codex Leningrad B 19⁠A, of the 11th century C.E., vowel points the Tetragrammaton to read Yehwahʹ, Yehwihʹ, and Yeho·wahʹ. Ginsburg’s edition of the Masoretic text vowel points the divine name to read Yeho·wahʹ. (Ge 3:14, ftn) Hebrew scholars generally favor “Yahweh” as the most likely pronunciation. They point out that the abbreviated form of the name is Yah (Jah in the Latinized form), as at Psalm 89:8 and in the expression Ha·lelu-Yahʹ (meaning “Praise Jah, you people!”). (Ps 104:35;150:1, 6) Also, the forms Yehohʹ, Yoh, Yah, and Yaʹhu, found in the Hebrew spelling of the names Jehoshaphat, Joshaphat, Shephatiah, and others, can all be derived from Yahweh. Greek transliterations of the name by early Christian writers point in a somewhat similar direction with spellings such as I·a·beʹ and I·a·ou·eʹ, which, as pronounced in Greek, resemble Yahweh. Still, there is by no means unanimity among scholars on the subject, some favoring yet other pronunciations, such as “Yahuwa,” “Yahuah,” or “Yehuah.”

It seems YAH is Hebrew and JAH is Latin. 

Consider a few examples of proper names found in the Bible that include a shortened form of God’s name. Jonathan, which appears as Yoh·na·thanʹ or Yehoh·na·thanʹ in the Hebrew Bible, means “Yaho or Yahowah has given,” says Professor Buchanan. The prophet Elijah’s name is ʼE·li·yahʹ or ʼE·li·yaʹhu in Hebrew. According to Professor Buchanan, the name means: “My God is Yahoo or Yahoo-wah.” Similarly, the Hebrew name for Jehoshaphat is Yehoh-sha·phatʹ, meaning “Yaho has judged.”

All this is from the  CCJW / Watchtower Soc' and it all points to Yahweh. 

So what is in front or Your eyes you don't believe.  

6 minutes ago, 4Jah2me said:

So what is in front or Your eyes you don't believe.  

You do not believe Jehovahs spirit works on the GB ..... then please explain why the GB  used the correct pronunciation all along - because the newest information proves in more  than 1000 Hebrew manuscripts with its point system -  that jehovah is the correct pronunciation. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.