The World News Media

2 Corinthians 5:20 Ambassadors for Christ, the Anointed?

I was thinking on 2 Corinthians 5 v 20.

Therefore, we are ambassadors substituting for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us.

Does this apply to all the Anointed ? Are all Anointed supposed to be Ambassadors ?

ambassador
An accredited diplomat sent by a state as its permanent representative in a foreign country

All true Christians are 'aliens' in a 'foreign country', because they are no part of this world and awaiting a 'new world'.. . But even more so the Anointed. 
So, should all the Anointed be acting as ambassadors ? Maybe doing more than they are allowed to do at this time ? 

(Once again no 'tags' as I don't know how to use them properly, so I'm told) 

• Views 608
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve learned something about WT’s version of 2 Cor 5:20  It is the only translation that I have come across that says, “ambassadors substituting for Christ”.  And they use the word twice, even though

@Witness Yes, JWs ( GB / CCJW / Wt / NWT ) do seem to be the only ones using 'substituting'  for Christ.  2 Corinthians 5 v 20   New International Version We are therefore Chr

Strong's Concordance huper: over, beyond, fig. on behalf of, for the sake of, concerning Original Word: ὑπέρ Part of Speech: Preposition Transliteration: hu

Posted Images

I’ve learned something about WT’s version of 2 Cor 5:20  It is the only translation that I have come across that says, “ambassadors substituting for Christ”.  And they use the word twice, even though it is not stated in their Kingdom Interlinear:

NWT - “Therefore, we are ambassadors  substituting for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us. As substitutes for Christ, we beg: “Become reconciled to God.”  2 Cor 5:20

NKJV – ”Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.”

An ambassador represents another individual, but cannot be a substitute for the person.  He presents the message he brings from the one he is representing, for other to hear.  Yet, how fitting for the WT to say the GB are “substitutes” for Christ. It is quite clear they do not bring any message from Christ.  Indeed.

For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.”  Matt 24:25

If we look at the anointed as individual members of the same Body, they are to work synergistically with one another.  Every priest is a “messenger” from God, even though each one has a unique gift that contributes to the health of the entire Body.  (Mal 2:7; 1 Cor 12:12,13)  They are to represent Christ’s truth; so, yes, they are all ambassadors, or “preachers” of truth – of Christ, who is truth.  (John 14:6; 1 Pet 2:9)  Christ is the Head of the Body, and no one can replace him.  If they teach his truth, they are his representative. I hope that makes sense.

"Truly I tell you, whoever receives anyone I send receives me, and the one who receives me receives him who sent me.  John 13:20."

“He has made us competent to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter, but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.”  2 Cor 3:6

“A person should think of us in this way: as servants of Christ and managers of the mysteries of God.” 1 Cor 4:1

Yes, I have learned since being out of the organization, that every anointed priest should be doing more than what they are allowed to, in the organization.  Truly, they are “trampled” as prophesied to occur in the last days.  Mark 13:14; 2 Thess 2:3,4; Rev 11:1-3; Rev 13:5-7

The elders have become the GB’s ambassadors, relaying any and all doctrine from false christs, to the congregations. Rev 13:11,12; 16:13,14

@Witness Yes, JWs ( GB / CCJW / Wt / NWT ) do seem to be the only ones using 'substituting'  for Christ. 

2 Corinthians 5 v 20

New International Version
We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.

New Living Translation
So we are Christ’s ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, “Come back to God!”

English Standard Version
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

Berean Study Bible
Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making His appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ: Be reconciled to God.

Berean Literal Bible
Therefore we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God is beseeching through us. We implore on behalf of Christ: Be reconciled to God.

New American Standard Bible
Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.

New King James Version
Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.

King James Bible
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
This is not all of the translations available on Bible Hub.
But it does bring in to question the reason for using the word 'substituting' as Witness has pointed out, especially when the GB say only they are the F&DS. 
So, are the GB saying they they, those 8 men, are the substitutes for Christ ? 
If so is this dishonest ? Or worse. 

To me, these are like clues, or pieces of a puzzle that when put together reveal a wicked slave who “beats” down his fellow servants, the anointed. Matt 24:48-51

If JWs could only see that this organization is eradicating a spiritual nation – God’s “Israel”.   Scriptures tell us, that the anointed since Christ never faced a Beast that spiritually judges them.  They never gave their allegiance to it, by becoming “marked” by it.  (Rev 20:4) Only the remnant during the last days , face this Beast – two beasts to be exact; one as bearing an “image” of a “spirit-directed” organization (Rev 13:15) and one that guides this organization,  appearing to be like Christ. (Rev 13:11,12)

“And he was given a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies, and he was given authority to continue for forty-two months. Then he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme His name, His tabernacle, and those who dwell in heaven. It was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, tongue, and nation.”  Rev 13:5-7 

Spiritual food is controlled by “false christs in the WT.  JWs, those anointed and not anointed, can only “buy and sell” what the wicked slave provides.  (Rev 13:16,17)

I believe the organization is Satan’s magnum opus, his spiritual military ruse he plays against those under the New Covenant woman/promise;  and his last attempt to forestall the coming Kingdom of God. 

“So the serpent spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away by the flood.”  Rev 12:15

…a flood of deceit and lies.  Isn’t that the same tool he used with Eve?  Isn’t the organization touting that it is through its existence, that JWs “will not die” - that only it can bring salvation?  Gen 3:4; Rev 16:13-16

There are many of us who see Revelation’s meaning as spiritual prophesy, not physical to take part in the world of Satan.  That world, cannot “give birth” to the Kingdom.  (Job 14:4)

The term, Scripturally, states that the Ambassadors that Apostle Paul is mentioning here are the followers of the Christ. He refers to himself and his fellow Christians as such [ambassadors] substituting for and or partaking in behalf of for Christ. In Bible times, ambassadors and other messengers could be dispatched for several reasons. In Greek, it notes and or points to to be aged, act as an ambassador. From the base of presbuteros; to be a senior, i.e. act as a representative. - hence Philippians 3:20.

Granted even the references show us that Christians are indeed representatives to the Christ in regards to spreading the gospel.

The same term in question is used in Ephesians 6:19, 20.

Again with the Strong's "substituting" is a rending, likewise, to behalf, etc. https://biblehub.com/greek/5228.htm

Huper means the following:

• 1) in behalf of, for the sake of
  • 2) over, beyond, more than
  • 3) more, beyond, over

Strong's Concordance
huper: over, beyond, fig. on behalf of, for the sake of, concerning

Original Word: ὑπέρ
Part of Speech: Preposition
Transliteration: huper
Phonetic Spelling: (hoop-er')
Definition: over, beyond, on behalf of, for the sake of, concerning
Usage: gen: in behalf of; acc: above.

I don't see the word substituting there.  And :-

Ephesians 6 v 20 

New International Version
for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

New Living Translation
I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God’s ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should.

English Standard Version
for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak.

Berean Study Bible
for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it fearlessly, as I should.

Berean Literal Bible
for which I am an ambassador in a chain, that in it I may be bold, as it behooves me to speak.

New American Standard Bible
for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in proclaiming it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

I don't want to listing them all but you can if you want to. Still do not see the word 'Substituting' here. 

The 2 Corinthians 5 v 20 scripture in the Interlinear. 

Truth or not 133.JPG

@4Jah2me As stated it is a rendering of the root, likewise with the word "[in] stead", granted the word in question derives from "for" in this verse. As for the verses in Ephesians, I think you misunderstood what I have said, for regarding representatives who take up after the Christ since he is not here, are mentioned as such in reference.

As for context, it is clear, even when combined with the marginal reference.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.