Was Charles Tase Russell a racist?

• Views 4.8k
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think I can explain what happened. Michael Krewson started the topic about a Mexican Cave. Judging by the other topics he has started, I think he couldn't care less about JWs and C.T.Russell. So whe

I apologize. It’s all the rage these days.

To all concerned, I didn't start this as a topic. I presume Admin ??? started it using my name, which to me is slightly unfair (and that is putting it politely).

The comment is mine THE TOPIC HEADING ISN'T MINE 

My comment was in relation to a topic concerning A CAVE IN A REMOTE PART OF MEXICO WAS VISITED BY HUMANS 30,000 YEARS AGO ............

It seems that that topic is about evolution and that someone was suggesting that white people were superior to dark skinned people. Hence my comment above as a Question Wasn't Russell racist ? 

But if it pleases Admin ??? to make it into a topic, then so be it. 

So as it has now become a topic :-  

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com/racism2.html 

It took only until his second issue of ZION'S WATCH TOWER, August 1879, before editor Charles Taze Russell permitted a racist witticism:

"The practice of many in teaching is no more consistent than was that of the old Negro who made Paul vindicate him in theft'Let him that stole, steal.' The words 'no more', did not suit his purpose."

"... no doubt, many of the negroes once slaves in the United States were happier and better provided for in slavery, than now that they are their own masters." -- ZION'S WATCH TOWER, June 1888.

"The negro race is supposed to be descended from Ham, whose special degradation is mentioned in Gen. 9:22,25." -- ZION'S WATCH TOWER, August 1, 1898

• 11 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 5:06 AM, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

To all concerned, I didn't start this as a topic. I presume Admin ??? started it using my name, which to me is slightly unfair (and that is putting it politely).

It may be he did it because you carried on like such a baby, threatening to report me, after I made some astute comments that you didn’t like.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:06 AM, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

The comment is mine THE TOPIC HEADING ISN'T MINE 

I think I can explain what happened. Michael Krewson started the topic about a Mexican Cave. Judging by the other topics he has started, I think he couldn't care less about JWs and C.T.Russell. So when you changed the subject to C.T.Russell an owner or admin of this forum thought they would keep things in order by removing this religious topic over to the JW Open Club.

I suspect that the original owners of this forum wanted it to be a place where anyone could come by and discuss any newsworthy topic, but the most active contributors (mostly a half-dozen pro-JWs and another half-dozen ex-JWs, apparently) appear to have turned it into a place that has so many JW references, it tends to chase off all the potential contributors who want to talk about science, bitcoin, finance, natural history, popular culture, etc. JW-related comments continually seep into non-religious topics.

The least an admin can do is to push off-topic posts into a new topic area. This means that an admin will have to make up a title for the new topic. I'm sure admins have pretty much given up by now in trying so hard to keep order here.

I should add that I haven't seen you (PWfT) making this mistake much any more. Maybe that's because there are so few topics started outside of JW-related forums.

24 minutes ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

But why tom should want to re-visit this topic I've no idea. Is he just looking for more rocks to throw at me :) 

This happens to me all the time too. When reading a topic about Russell, you find links to bunch of related topics listed below it, and they could be several years old. I saw this topic come up too, but far be it from me to want to talk about Russell. :) 

13 hours ago, JW Insider said:

This happens to me all the time too. When reading a topic about Russell, you find links to bunch of related topics listed below it, and they could be several years old. I saw this topic come up too, but far be it from me to want to talk about Russell. :) 

Maybe we should discuss Russell again, the forum needs livening up a bit :) 

For instance, I've mentioned on other topics about Russell being an International Bible Student, Not a JW. Even though Russell started the Watchtower and the JW org took it over via Rutherford. So Russell was never in any way a JW. And the International Bible Students, which seem to be 'alive and well', are not JWs. I'm sure this has been covered many times but some JWs do like to pretend that Russell was the 'beginning of' the CCJW / JW Org. 

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.