The World News Media

Colossians 3 v 13 Christ or God ?

Patiently waiting for Truth

NWT 

Continue putting up with one another and forgiving one another freely even if anyone has a cause for complaint against another. Just as Jehovah freely forgave you, you must also do the same.

International Standard Version
Be tolerant of one another and forgive each other if anyone has a complaint against another. Just as the Lord has forgiven you, you also should forgive.

New King James Version
bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And be forbearing one to another and forgiving one another. But if anyone has an outrage against his neighbor, forgive just as The Messiah has forgiven you,

Webster's Bible Translation
Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man hath a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

Young's Literal Translation
forbearing one another, and forgiving each other, if any one with any one may have a quarrel, as also the Christ did forgive you -- so also ye;

I thought this was an interesting point Κύριος translates to Lord. But it seems only the CCJW / Watchtower translate that to Jehovah. 

So, should that scripture be Christ or Almighty God ? 

• Views 434
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see the correlation to Matt 6:14.  Although I'm not sure  what believing in the trinity, or not, has to do with how the scripture is rendered.  These scriptures can be considered:  “Then behold

Interesting. In this Greek interlinear, we find it to read - cristos christos G5547 n_ Nom Sg m ANOINTED Christ https://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm And

Interesting.

In this Greek interlinear, we find it to read -

cristos christos G5547 n_ Nom Sg m ANOINTED Christ

https://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

And also here:  https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/col/3/1/t_conc_1110013

In this interlinear, it reads as:

2962 [e]
Kyrios
Κύριος
Lord

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/colossians/3.htm

In the many translations I looked at, I never once saw “God” inserted, let alone “Jehovah”.  Always it either Christ or Lord.  It makes you wonder why the WT takes such liberties.  They could have easily left it as “Lord”.  But, Satan's vendetta in the last days is against Christ and the anointed in Christ. (Gen 3:15; 2 Thess 2:3,4; Rev 12:17; Rev 13:1,7)   I am not surprised of any efforts, subtle or otherwise, that are made to remove evidence of the glory and power of Christ. 

Coll 3:13 Just as Jehovah freely forgave you, you must also do the same.

Coll 2:13 provides context on as to who is the true source of forgiveness in this case. Jesus gave a clear indication of the same at Matt 6:14. The non-trinitarian translators decided that the inclusion of Divine name would correctly clarify who was referenced by the Greek word kyrios in this instance, as they did  in 3 other places in the same chapter. Despite the use of the word "messiah" in some Hebrew translations of Coll.3:13, it appears Jean-Marie Paul Bauchet had the same view as the NWT committee when translating this verse into Hebrew although I have not yet personally seen his translation to verify.

I see the correlation to Matt 6:14.  Although I'm not sure  what believing in the trinity, or not, has to do with how the scripture is rendered.  These scriptures can be considered: 

“Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.”

And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, “This Man blasphemes!”

But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” And he arose and departed to his house.

Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men.”  Matt 9:2-8

So He got into a boat, crossed over, and came to His own city.  Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.”   Matt 9:1,2

If Jesus has been given the authority to judge, (John 5:22) and is the perfect image of God, (Col 1:15) he also has the authority to forgive.  Which means, the verse in Col 3:13 could correctly be rendered as Jesus Christ, the forgiver of sins; even if we do not believe in the trinity.  

“And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.”  Matt 28:18

“For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. 22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.”  John 5:21-23

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.