The World News Media

Thought for the day- walking in the name of Jehovah

Emma Rose

Thought for the day:

Jehovah is God's name.  It was originally in the Bible in over 7,000 places but has been removed by various bodies due to superstition etc.  Micah 4:5 For all the people will walk, each in the name of it's god, But we will walk in the name of Jehovah our God forever and ever.

• Views 5.8k
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought for the day: Jehovah is God's name.  It was originally in the Bible in over 7,000 places but has been removed by various bodies due to superstition etc.  Micah 4:5 For all the people will

Psalm 83:18 "May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth" The online King James Bible has retained the name Jehovah in this verse.   The n

Do you think it's possible for someone who is not yet aware of the importance of God's name, to feel they have relationship with him? I know my grandpa loved God, and talked to him as if he was a

Psalm 83:18 "May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth"

The online King James Bible has retained the name Jehovah in this verse.  

The name Jehovah is represented by four Hebrew consonants known as the Tetragrammaton.

Jehovah means "He causes to become"

4 minutes ago, TrueTomHarley said:

My favorite is one of those Hollywood blockbusters of decades past—I think ‘The Ten Commandments.’ 

Early on the distressed Israelites complain that they don’t even know their God’s name.

Later on they are as happy as pigs in mud. They have learned it. It is ‘The LORD.’

That's one of my favourites too, it is a fantastic film.  I also have Samson and Delilah with Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr.

There arose a superstition on the part of the Jews, concerning the utterance of Jehovah's name.  I have experienced this whilst on the ministry.  I knocked at a door and two men answered, I began to talk to them about the Bible and one of them asked who we were, I replied, "Jehovah's Witnesses", completely unaware of the small Mezuzah attached to the doorframe, he then put his finger to his mouth as if to say hush and closed the door.  For me, that meant he recognised God's name, Jehovah.

Now I say, I worship the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

5 hours ago, Emma Rose said:

he then put his finger to his mouth as if to say hush and closed the door.  For me, that meant he recognised God's name, Jehovah.

I had my own experience of 30 years ago recounted to me by the one who was my companion at the time:

During one of the early pioneer schools, testing out what we had learned, we had been paired together. Upon my ringing the bell, the householder asked: “Are you Jehovah?”

”Oh, no,” I modestly replied. “I would never presume to call myself by the name of the Most High God. I am but a lowly servant of his, trying in my own imperfect way to serve him.” Thirty years later I ran across that companion again and she recounted how every time she reviewed it in her head, she was so impressed at my abject humility.

It never happened! She had reworked it in her head. Never trust urban legends.

What I had said when the good-natured woman asked “Are you Jehovah?,“ through the screen door, from the far-removed kitchen, for she was distracted in cooking, was: “Well—no, actually, I am not.” Whereupon she realized just what she had absent-mindedly said, and laughed uproariously at the joke. 

We did end up having a pretty good discussion, and maybe it is from that circumstance that my companion elevated me to near sainthood. I’m not really all that deserving of it.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

I had my own experience of 30 years ago recounted to me by the one who was my companion at the time:

During one of the early pioneer schools, testing out what we had learned, we had been paired together. Upon my ringing the bell, the householder asked: “Are you Jehovah?”

”Oh, no,” I modestly replied. “I would never presume to call myself by the name of the Most High God. I am but a lowly servant of his, trying in my own imperfect way to serve him.” Thirty years later I ran across that companion again and she recounted how every time she reviewed it in her head, she was so impressed at my abject humility.

It never happened! She had reworked it in her head. Never trust urban legends.

What I had said when the good-natured woman asked “Are you Jehovah?,“ through the screen door, from the far-removed kitchen, for she was distracted in cooking, was: “Well—no, actually, I am not.” Whereupon she realized just what she had absent-mindedly said, and laughed uproariously at the joke. 

We did end up having a pretty good discussion, and maybe it is from that circumstance that my companion elevated me to near sainthood. I’m not really all that deserving of it.

I wonder if that's what your companion was thinking they'd say ;) 

Exodus 9:16 But for this very reason I have kept you in existence: to show you my power and to have my name declared in all the earth.

It's quite possible that the Jews were concerned about non-Jews misusing Jehovah's name and so tried to keep it under wraps.  As we can see from the scripture noted above, Jehovah is going to make His name known in all the earth.  Isaiah 64:2 As when a fire ignites the brushwood, and the fire makes the water boil, Then your name would be known to your adversaries, And the nations would tremble before you!

Clearly, Jehovah's name would be known throughout the earth.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.