The World News Media

Constitutional petition filed against alternative military service law. Some folks are never happy.

Patiently waiting for Truth

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20210127003800315?section=national/defense

SEOUL, Jan. 27 (Yonhap) -- A conscientious objector, now carrying out his alternative military service as a prison staff member under the current law after refusing to enlist for religious reasons, has filed a constitutional appeal contending that the alternative military service law is unconstitutional due to its punitive nature, judicial officials said Wednesday.

By law, all able-bodied South Korean men must carry out military service for 18 to 22 months. But the National Assembly passed the Act on the Assignment and Performance of the Alternative Service in 2019, allowing conscientious objectors who refuse to take up arms for religious reasons to do 36 months of alternative service at local correctional facilities.

According to the officials, the conscientious objector, who began his alternative military service at a local prison last year, filed the petition with the Constitutional Court on Monday, saying that the alternative service act violates the freedom of conscience and the rights to happiness and equality.

In particular, the petitioner insisted that two clauses of the law, which require 36 months of in-camp service twice the active-duty service duration of 18 months, run counter to the Constitution, due to their punitive nature.

It is the first time that a constitutional petition has been filed in relation to the alternative service law.

The petitioner has been known as a believer of Jehovah's Witnesses, who was recognized by the Supreme Court as a conscientious objector last year.

Discussions on the alternative military service began after the Constitutional Court, while upholding the criminalization of conscientious objection, ruled in June 2018 that not allowing alternative measures for military service objectors does not conform to the Constitution.

Following the parliamentary passage of the alternative service law in December 2019, the first batch of 63 men began their assignments at local detention facilities, such as serving and cooking meals and supporting facility management, in October last year.

Conscientious objectors in South Korea have long drawn a heated debate as to whether their claims for the right to refuse to perform military service should be tolerated in a country where national security remains an important issue amid tension with North Korea.

Jesus and some of his closest followers were murdered for serving God, but these people are now complaing about doing 3 years confined service instead of taking up arms.  They are breaking the Law of the land, so should be happy that they are offered the chance to do work that does not go against their conscience. Do they really expect to live a happy and peaceful life in Satan's old world ?  So say, 'serving God' in opposition to Satan, what do they really expect ?  Where is thier FAITH ?

• Views 2.5k
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Apostle Paul was both a physical Jew and a Spiritual Jew. Philippians 3 :  from verse 4.  The Apostle Paul says about being a physical Jew :  If any other man thinks he has grounds for c

Whoa! It’s like hearing that the king of the north is now Bolivia!

I'm guess cleaning toilets was below him?  

Hey, thank for the link. The witnesses believe they are above the superior authorities somehow. Jehovah put these governments in place for the witnesses to be “in subjection” to, (Romans 13:1), but somehow they don’t believe this. What can you expect though, their own governing body disrespects Jehovah by fighting the superior authorities that He put in place as they hire powerful lawyers, lie their way out of court cases and do anything and everything in their power so they don’t have to be in subjection to them. Just look at the way they’ve handled CSA cases.

This doesn’t entirely make sense. If it is true, then the JW mentioned is an atypical outlier. The suit would certainly not have Branch support. The Witnesses overall consider alternative service laws a very good bargain and are appreciate of them. Typical of their responses is this:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/legal/by-region/taiwan/successful-alternative-service-conscientious-objectors/

As to individuals, I have never heard anyone speak against such laws. Instead, every instance I know of is people likewise appreciative of them and glad to cooperate. Like this Russian brother in the Heart and Soul broadcast: (It is one remark in a 30 minute program, probably not worth the time to search it out, but the program is worth streaming on its own merits.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct1659

The wording is odd: “The petitioner has been known as a believer of Jehovah's Witnesses, who was recognized by the Supreme Court as a conscientious objector last year.” Why the past tense? Probably he is ex-JW KickFace himself.

2 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

This doesn’t entirely make sense. If it is true, then the JW mentioned is an atypical outlier. The suit would certainly not have Branch support. The Witnesses overall consider alternative service laws a very good bargain and are appreciate of them. Typical of their responses is this:

https://www.jw.org/en/news/legal/by-region/taiwan/successful-alternative-service-conscientious-objectors/

"In 2000, Taiwan implemented an alternative civilian service program that allows conscientious objectors to fulfill their obligation to perform national service without violating their conscience. Under this arrangement, those who conscientiously object to military service have been given the option to work in hospitals, in nursing homes, and in other areas of the public sector." - quote from link you provide.

"In particular, the petitioner insisted that two clauses of the law, which require 36 months of in-camp service twice the active-duty service duration of 18 months, run counter to the Constitution, due to their punitive nature." - quote from link 4Yah2me provide.

First, how much time last civilian service in Taiwan? And second, as we see, the place where the replacement service is performed is very different and it seems that working at local correctional facilities is "uncomfortable", to petitioner,  compared to what is offered in Taiwan.

Third, GB WTJWorg are not willing to agree to any kind of "civil service". In the past they objected to the jurisdiction (who is in charge) of the civil service, and similar.  GB can be picky. :)))

As usual CC spouts rubbish or has no understanding of English. 

I said nothing about Jesus being called into 'service', nothing at all. I said Jesus was killed for serving God

And it is JWs that serve men. That was proven in WW2 when JWs were not allowed to have their own Christian conscience. They were not allowed to work on farms or elsewhere, JWs had to go to prison or be murdered just for the sake of the JW Leaders that deliberately misused scripture about the Superior Authorities.

As for the 'UK Human Rights Committee', I do not care about them. They are only 'men'. 

As for TTH, he always tends to think a person is not a 'real' JW if said person does something that he does not agree with. So be it. Is this person a real JW, who knows ?  I hope it doesn't have 'Branch support' as it could cause a lot of problems for people, as with misuse of the Romans scripture in WW2. 

1 minute ago, 4Jah2me said:

They were not allowed to work on farms or elsewhere, J

That sentence tells me you have NO understanding of the Nazi movement at all . LOL.  Hitler wanted anyone who did not agree with him or fight with him  -dead.  Hence if you did not go to war for the regime you deserved death...... not work on a beautiful rural farm in fresh air..... lol

8 hours ago, Arauna said:

That sentence tells me you have NO understanding of the Nazi movement at all . LOL.  Hitler wanted anyone who did not agree with him or fight with him  -dead.  Hence if you did not go to war for the regime you deserved death...... not work on a beautiful rural farm in fresh air..... lol

And in other countries ?  What happened there ? And I see you don't deny the misuse of scripture by the Leaders on the W/t org. 

8 hours ago, César Chávez said:

That's what you are relating to when you want to compare something with Christ. The rubbish and stupidity still lies with you. By the way, for a Brit, your English needs polishing, so stop using that "insider" and Alanf stupidity with me old man.

Billy the Kid, aka CC, I'm sorry you do not comprehend English. I'm of working class stock so no 'polishing' of my English needed. BUT as usual, you are deliberately way off topic. Stay cool dude. 

5 hours ago, Kick_Faceinator said:

Jehovah put these governments in place for the witnesses to be “in subjection” to, (Romans 13:1), but somehow they don’t believe this.

This has been a common theme of 4Jah2me's. The point about the GB and CSA have also been some of his pet peeves. I think the impression of Romans 13:1 is that we are subject to the secular authorities, including their laws, and punishments --but not that we subject ourselves to them as if their authority was above Jehovah's.

I think a more appropriate verse (allowing for conscientious alternative service) is the one Jesus gave here:

(Matthew 5:41) ". . . and if someone in authority compels you into service for a mile, go with him two miles. . ."

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.