The World News Media

Millions Now Living Will Never Die! by J.F. Rutherford ??????????? A few questions.

Patiently waiting for Truth

A public talk titled "The World Has Ended; Millions Now Living May Never Die" was first delivered on February 24, 1918 in Los Angeles, California. Five weeks later, on March 31, 1918 the title was changed to indicate absolute certainty: "The World Has Ended; Millions Now Living Will Never Die." The public talk continued to be delivered under that same title until 1925.

At a 1931 Bible Student assembly in Columbus, Ohio Rutherford proposed a new name for the organization, Jehovah's witnesses, to differentiate them from the proliferation of other groups that followed Russell's teachings.

Joseph Franklin Rutherford, also known as Judge Rutherford, was the second president of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society (Jehovah's Witnesses) from 1917 until his death in 1942.

OK, a few questions. 

If I'm right what RUSSELL had built up was an Association of Bible Students possibly earthwide ? 

So, what Rutherford had taken over was this Association of Bible Students. But Rutherford broke away from that and formed an Organisation naming it Jehovah's Witnesses in 1931.

Now, this creates a question.  Who were the Millions now living that would never die

This was 1918. Pre-JW.  International Bible Student eraSo exactly who did Rutherford expect to 'never die' ? 

(At this point it matter not that his prediction failed. More to the point of who he expected to live on).

And when Rutherford's breakaway 'group' were named Jehovah's Witnesses, did his idea change from 'Millions' now living will never die, to, Only JWs now living will never die ?

There must have come a time when the quantity of people expected to continue living decreased rapidly. Because Rutherford's JWs would have been far less than the original International Bible Students Association. 

And when exactly was this Millions now living will never die idea, removed from the JW doctrines / teachings ? 

There seems to be lots of discussion about RUSSELL on here, but not much about RUTHERFORD. However it was Rutherford that 'built' the Jehovah's Witnesses religion. 

I'm interested in this big change of thought from the idea of, millions of individuals that would continue living, to the idea of, 'only Jehovah's Witnesses will continue living'.  So it would be goodto know exactly who Rutherford expected to 'continue living'. 

(information taken from https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/218007.Millions_Now_Living_Will_Never_Die_ )

The thoughts are mine but I found this book online when looking for information. I would think about buying the book but then wonder if it is likened to 'hero worship' / idolatry. 

Any thoughts ??? 

• Views 9.3k
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just glanced at what was said above. It seems it is a much created fluffy storm in a tea cup  - about nothing!  If I were living in 1919 or in 1935,  and finally understood the scriptures which

The historical context is interesting because it confirms today’s perception of the past historical context. And that is: They expected Armageddon and the establishment of an earthly Paradise during t

JFR was probably not even including those who were already Bible Students (proto-JWs) to be numbered in those millions. ALL of the Bible Students were included in the 144,000 going to heaven, but in t

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Pudgy said:

…… Could be worse…… Could be a US troop withdrawal from Afghanistan.

This has to be super-traumatic to the “these colors don’t run” people. These days they can’t run fast enough. 

It’s in the back of my mind to ask my Bible student about this. His military stint is done and he now spends time counseling PTSD vets. But I’m reluctant to stir up the pot. He speaks of being in the forward team discussing humanitarian issues, while the special ops team accompanying him (you don’t ask what they are doing, he says) went to work at more nefarious doings.

5 minutes ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

Doesn't answer my questions.

I'm interested in this big change of thought from the idea of, millions of individuals that would continue living, to the idea of, 'only Jehovah's Witnesses will continue living'. 

So it would be good to know exactly who Rutherford expected to 'continue living'.  

Jesus made this statement almost 2,000 years ago.... why don't you go for it and call him a liar too??   You know what Jesus says about Hypocrisy? 

Jesus said to her: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who exercises faith in me, even though he dies, will come to life; and everyone who is living and exercises faith in me will Never Die At All. Do you believe this?” (John 11:25-26)

Doesn't answer my questions.

I'm interested in this big change of thought from the idea of, millions of individuals that would continue living, to the idea of, 'only Jehovah's Witnesses will continue living'. 

So it would be good to know exactly who Rutherford expected to 'continue living'.  

Rambo you are a fake and a loser. It doesn't take long for you losers to try to take it off topic. 

13 hours ago, TrueTomHarley said:

No, but it raises a better one.

Please address Jesus’ words that seemingly make him a liar: 

“and everyone who is living and exercises faith in me will never die at all.”

Like I say, Losers trying to take it off topic.  It really does prove that you are frightened of my questions.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.