The World News Media

Since Moses was called elohim, does that make him God?

BroRando

• Views 534
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the centuries, words and expressions have changed dramatically. Consider that just a few years ago "Gay" used to mean frivolously happy .... ...... And of course, my favorite "Let's Go

Interesting you mention {like} God.  So a person {who is like God} is not God but a represenative of God?

I didn't, it was the translation that did.   He was God's spokesman; yes as God's representative to the people; and given divine authority.   "For no prophecy was ever produced by the will

The Lord said to Moses, “I have made you ·like God [L God] to ·the king of Egypt [L Pharaoh], and your brother Aaron will be like a prophet for you [Cjust as God would speak to people through prophets so Moses would speak to Pharaoh through Aaron]. Tell Aaron your brother everything that I command you, and let him tell ·the king of Egypt [L Pharaoh] to let the ·Israelites [L sons/T children of Israel] leave his ·country [land]."  Exod 7:1,2

Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me: “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth."  Jer 1:9

Question:  Since the GB compare the organization to the nation of Israel under Moses, does that make them Moses?  

1 hour ago, Witness said:

The Lord said to Moses, “I have made you ·like God [L God] to ·the king of Egypt [L Pharaoh], and your brother Aaron will be like a prophet for you [Cjust as God would speak to people through prophets so Moses would speak to Pharaoh through Aaron]. Tell Aaron your brother everything that I command you, and let him tell ·the king of Egypt [L Pharaoh] to let the ·Israelites [L sons/T children of Israel] leave his ·country [land]."  Exod 7:1,2

Then the Lord put forth His hand and touched my mouth, and the Lord said to me: “Behold, I have put My words in your mouth."  Jer 1:9

Question:  Since the GB compare the organization to the nation of Israel under Moses, does that make them Moses?  

Interesting you mention {like} God.  So a person {who is like God} is not God but a represenative of God?

17 minutes ago, BroRando said:

Interesting you mention {like} God.

I didn't, it was the translation that did.  

1 hour ago, Witness said:

[Cjust as God would speak to people through prophets so Moses would speak to Pharaoh through Aaron]

He was God's spokesman; yes as God's representative to the people; and given divine authority.  

"For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit"  2 Pet 1:21

Over the centuries, words and expressions have changed dramatically.

Consider that just a few years ago "Gay" used to mean frivolously happy ....

...... And of course, my favorite "Let's Go Brandon!"

It used to be that anyone who had great authority was referred to as a god .... and even today England has a "House of Lords", and Winston Churchill was titled "Lord of the Admiralty".

Lord Vader anyone?

It's a relative term ... NOTHING MORE.

The clueless and the agenda driven will never really understand this  ..... because they do no WANT to..

8 hours ago, Witness said:

I didn't, it was the translation that did.  

He was God's spokesman; yes as God's representative to the people; and given divine authority.  

"For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit"  2 Pet 1:21

Yep. 

I can't find any disagreement with you in your explanation. Moses was acting as God's Spokesman and was given authority. Therefore Moses was acting in a specific and offical capacity. The Catholic scripture is misleading. Even though Moses is called elohim, it does not make him God. Elohim is a title that can be applied to angels and even men who represent God, not that he is God. Like theos, elohim can be rendered, God, a god, or even gods. Infinite articles can be used {like} god, as a god, as god, a god can be used too.

Young's Literal Translation

And Jehovah saith unto Moses, 'See, I have given thee a god to Pharaoh, and Aaron thy brother is thy prophet;

Jesus also was acting as God's Spokesman as the Word of God and was given authority. Therefore Jesus was acting in a specific and offical capacity. Theos can also be God, a god which can be applied to angels and men. It is a title after all. Even Jesus is godlike as some transaltions use.

How does John 1:1 read with a literal translation?

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and a god was the Word.”

• 1975 “and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word” – Das Evangelium nach Johnnes, by Siegfried Schulz, Göttingen, Germany
  • 1978: “and godlike sort was the Logos” – Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider, Berlin

Notice these scriptures about Jesus Christ?

• You made him a little lower than the angels; You crowned him with glory and honor. Psalm 8:5
  • I have said, 'You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High.' Psalm 82:6

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.