The World News Media

Revelation 12 : 6. 1260 days. Revelation 12 : 14. a time and times and half a time. 3½ times = 3½ years, of 360 days Prophetic calender

Patiently waiting for Truth

This topic is open to helpful comments and unhelpful insults too :) 

I was doing a bit of Bible reading the other day from the book known as Revelation, and reading chapter 12 i was having thoughts and meditation.

Rev 12 : 6, mentions the woman going off into the wilderness for 1260 days.

REv 12 : 14, mentions the woman being nurished in the wilderness for a time and times and half a time. This = 3½ times.

so we divide 1260 days by 3½ which givs us, 360 days. Now that is equal to a 'Prophetic Year' 

It seems, and i didn't know this before, that prophicy is based on a 360 day year. 

It also seems that Moses used a 360 day calender. 

The Egyptions and possibly the Romans used 360 day calenders too. And of course Moses was educated by the Egyptions. 

So I related this 3½ times from Rev 12 : 14, as being 3½ years.  Then I though, Jesus' ministry was also 3½ years long. 

Now I'm wondering exactly what calender the apostles used. Was it a 360 day calender ? 

I have a feeling all this relates to Daniel somehow but I haven't yet started to delve into it.

Any thoughts on this would be welcome.  

• Views 2.3k
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once and for all, will you please get it right? I have not called you a “fool” or “stupid.” I have called you a “dodo.” Not me.

I wasn’t thinking about you at all when I made that remark. I meant only that I try not to argue or insult others. Okay, okay, so you’ve got me there. Nobody has infinite patience. But even the

The Babylonian calendar was the same as the Jewish calendar.  Their pagan festivals of course fell on other days.  Many of the post-flood nations followed the moon calendar because it was the "pl

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

t seems, and i didn't know this before, that prophicy is based on a 360 day year. 

Yes - the Jewish calendar was based on the moons.  The beginning of the month was the new moon - so they  (people who worked the land) would know where they are in the stream of time - to plant and also attend festivals.  If I remember correctly they inserted a partial month every few years so everything would line up.  

44 minutes ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

Romans used 360 day calendars too.

The sun calendar  is 365 days.  I am not sure but the Egyptians used sun calendar as did the Romans.  I am answering from memory as I have to go,,, Let someone else expand on this. 

JWs always use the biblical year which is 360 days. All our prophecies are worked out with this number of days.

2 hours ago, Patiently waiting for Truth said:

I was doing a bit of Bible reading the other day from the book known as Revelation, and reading chapter 12 i was having thoughts and meditation.

You might want to meditate on this a little more. However, I'm sure at some point @JW Insider will chime in with his understanding.

1. Like all other calendars, the Babylonian calendar had twelve lunar months (about 354 days) and a problem to make these fit the solar year (about 365 days). In the western calendar, this is solved by disconnecting the lunar phase from the calendar month; the Babylonians found a different solution by adding leap months.

2. The Jews calculate years of reign of their kings according to solar years of 365 days, not lunar years. We know this from biblical data. They did have a 12-month 30-day religious calendar year, but every few years they would add an extra intercalary month, because the Jews were well aware that the year is more like 365 than 360 days long.

The Jewish calendar is a lunisolar calendar (it follows the Moon phases and the time of the solar year), and has 12 months with 29 or 30 days each. In 2021, we are in year 5781 of the Jewish calendar (September 19, 2020 - September 6, 2021), and in September the calendar enters the year 5782 (September 6, 2021 -May 19, 2022).

In other words, Jews adapted the lunar/solar calendar. At what point? That's the contentious part. Some of us, have gone through great lengths, but there is still no reason to dispute the Watchtowers results. At least not by an honest person.

1 hour ago, Dmitar said:

Babylonian calendar had twelve lunar months

The Babylonian calendar was the same as the Jewish calendar.  Their pagan festivals of course fell on other days. 

Many of the post-flood nations followed the moon calendar because it was the "planting calendar" for agriculture.  Every few years a short thirteenth month was added.

From the Insight book I found this: " Julian and Gregorian Calendars. In the year 46 B.C.E., Julius Caesar issued a decree changing the Roman calendar from a lunar to a solar year. This Julian calendar, based on the calculations of the Greek astronomer Sosigenes, had 12 months of arbitrary length and a regular year of 365 days beginning on January 1. It also brought in the use of leap years by the addition of an extra day every four years, to compensate for the extra fraction of a day in the length of the tropical year, which has a little less than 365 1⁄4 days."

" In 1582 C.E., Pope Gregory XIII introduced a slight revision of the Julian calendar, whereby the leap years every four years were retained but with the exception that only those century years with a number divisible by 400 were to be counted as leap years. By papal bull in 1582, ten days were to be omitted in that year, so that the day after October 4 became October 15. The Gregorian calendar is now in general use in most parts of the world. It is the basis for the historical dates used throughout this publication."

26 minutes ago, Arauna said:

The Babylonian calendar was the same as the Jewish calendar.  Their pagan festivals of course fell on other days. 

To a certain point. That's a problem with historical accuracy. 

28 minutes ago, Arauna said:

Many of the post-flood nations followed the moon calendar because it was the "planting calendar" for agriculture.  Every few years a short thirteenth month was added.

Indeed. Once again, There are differences between the lunar, lunisolar, and solar in the times of Babylon, Judah, and Persia. None of that disproves the Watchtower objective, as I stated before. I'm referring to Historical accuracy that has a continuous tone, with historical timeline. 

I'm not here to yank on anyone's chain, just like I don't need anyone to yank on mind. If you don't understand where I'm coming from, ASK!

Perhaps one might object that to write down data in a table like this looks rather anachronistic. In defense might be argued: “that either Thales or Anaximander compiled a comprehensive astronomical calendar (. . .) rests on strong circumstantial evidence” (White 2008: 96). However this may be, for the conclusions reached this table is not
necessary; it simply visualizes some of them and so in a sense makes them easier to observe. Table 3.2 is a kind of luni-solar calendar, the basis of which is our calendar B.C. Of course, Thales would have used a different kind of calendar than ours (based on lunar months), but that would have shown an analogous picture. Table 3.2 shows the calendar from 610 until 586 B.C., which is from the year of the first solar eclipse Thales could have observed until the year before the eclipse he is said to have predicted. In this table, the consecutive data of new moon are indicated.
This makes it possible to count easily intervals of months. Lunar eclipses that were visible at Miletus are marked “ ”. For reasons already mentioned, no penumbral lunar eclipses are listed. Solar eclipses >0.5 visible at Miletus are marked “ ,” and solar eclipses <0.5 are marked “ .” These last two marks stand in place of the corresponding dates of the new moon.

Can we be "specific" when it comes to who used what kind of calendar, by historical standards?

It would be nice if people would actually do the research before they post. Especially coming from Jehovah's Witnesses. It makes them look like they have no credible knowledge on what is printed by the Watchtower.

*** it-1 p. 390 Calendar ***
A year of 12 lunar months falls about 11 days short of a solar year of 365 1⁄4 days. Since the solar year determines the return of the seasons, there was need to adjust the calendar to this solar year, and this resulted in what are called lunisolar, or bound solar, years—that is, years in which the months were lunar but the years were solar. This was done by the addition of a number of days each year or of an additional month during certain years to compensate for the shortness of the 12 lunar months.
Hebrew Calendar. The Israelites used such a lunisolar, or bound solar, calendar. This is evident from the fact that Jehovah God established the beginning of their sacred year with the month Abib in the spring and specified the celebration of certain festivals on fixed dates, festivals that were related to harvest seasons. For these dates to have coincided with the particular harvests, there had to be a calendar arrangement that would synchronize with the seasons by compensating for the difference between the lunar and solar years.—Ex 12:1-14; 23:15, 16; Le 23:4-16.

Then we can get a sense of how that type of calendar was still in use in the Babylonian time.

2 hours ago, Arauna said:

Which histotrical timeline?

Secular history. 

2 hours ago, Arauna said:

This is in our literature - so what specific new fact are you trying to bring out?

Ignorance! Since you want to start a fight as a Jehovah's Witness, I'll pass on your woeful challenge. You can continue with that kind of poor intellect with other Jehovah's Witnesses and former Jehovah’s Witnesses.

5 minutes ago, Arauna said:

I am merely requesting a logical answer. 

You're supposed to be a seasoned witness, that offered a previous opinion. How hard would it be, for you to research, for that logical answer.

Remember the past, I talk out of my ear, am worthless, a woeful fool and many other things you have expressed about me. Not verbatim, but implied. So, why should my answer be of value to such, professed intellectual people.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.