The World News Media

Remembering Father Dan Berrigan, a Prophet of Peace

TheWorldNewsOrg

By Amy Goodman & Denis Moynihan

A prophet of peace has passed. Daniel Berrigan, a Catholic Jesuit priest, a protester, a poet, a dedicated uncle and brother, died last weekend at the age of 94. His near-century on Earth was marked by compassion and love for humanity, and an unflinching commitment to justice and peace. He spent years in prison for his courageous, peaceful actions against war, living and practising the gospel that he preached. He launched movements, inspired millions, wrote beautifully and, with a wry smile, shared his love of life with family, friends and those with whom he prayed and fought for peace.

Dan's brother Philip Berrigan and several others peacefully raided a draft board in 1967 and poured their own blood on the records to signify the blood being spilt in the war. A year later, on May 17, 1968, just weeks after the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., they and seven others famously removed draft records from the Catonsville, Maryland draft board, and set fire to them with homemade napalm, singing a hymn around the pyre until they were arrested.

"Our apologies, good friends, for the fracture of good order, the burning of paper instead of children, the angering of the orderlies in the front parlour of the charnel house," Dan Berrigan wrote in the statement released by the group before the action, as they knew they would be arrested. "We could not, so help us God, do otherwise."

The actions of the Catonsville Nine, as the group would come to be known, ratcheted up the intensity of anti-war actions everywhere. Some individuals had burned their draft cards before then, but after the Catonsville action, it became an iconic and increasingly common tactic to demonstrate actual and symbolic opposition to the war. "We have chosen to be powerless criminals in a time of criminal power. We have chosen to be branded as peace criminals by war criminals," he said.

Daniel Berrigan was convicted and, before turning himself in to serve his prison sentence, went underground. Despite being placed on the FBI's Most Wanted list, Berrigan popped up around the country, giving anti-war speeches. He spoke at a large rally at Cornell University, where he was the campus chaplain. Afterward, as the FBI and police closed in on him, Berrigan hid inside one of the Bread & Puppet political theatre troupe's giant puppets. Thus disguised, he exited Cornell's Barton Hall, eluding arrest. Authorities finally caught up to him on Block Island, off the coast of Rhode Island, and arrested him. A famous photo captured the moment, as a smiling Father Berrigan is shown being led, handcuffed, by two joyless FBI men who were on the island posing as bird-watchers.

"Given the fact that the American machine is not working well, either in its inner gears, or in its meshing with the world, good men must take action," he wrote in his memoir, No Bars to Manhood. "Some of them ... must be willing to go to jail."

In 1980, Berrigan, again with his brother Phil and others, broke into a General Electric missile plant in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. They hammered on missile nose cones, damaging them beyond repair, and poured their blood on the damaged parts. Their action that day launched the Plowshares Movement, which has grown into a global movement. Plowshares actions are inspired by a line from the Old Testament, Isaiah 2:4:

"They will hammer their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will no longer fight against nation, nor train for war anymore."

Dan Berrigan's fight for peace challenged the U.S. government, the Pentagon and his own Catholic Church's hierarchy. For that last sin, he was banished by the church from the United States. His exile included trips to Latin America and South Africa, which, far from curing him of his commitment to fight injustice, only strengthened it.

We last saw Berrigan, who we and so many others affectionately called "Father Dan," two years ago in the retirement home for elderly Jesuits, at Fordham University in the Bronx. At 93, he was frail, but his eyes twinkled when we gave him his favorite food: ice cream. His devotion to ice cream and social justice earned him his own flavor of Ben & Jerry's, as well as a lifetime supply of their ice cream for him and for the Catholic Worker movement that he so loved.

Daniel J. Berrigan lived his life true to his calling, literally practicing what he preached. Rest in peace, Dan Berrigan, just as you lived.

View the full article

• Views 364
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Contributors

• Topics

• Members

• Recent Status Updates

• Mic Drop

This Bitcoin and Crypto stuff is really starting to take off like wildfire
      · 0 replies
    • Arauna  »  Thinking

Hi, it seems we are the only two left talking about it as the rest have lost interest.  PITY, because they will soon see what is coming. I have always had a good imagination for understanding injustice. ..I watched the video about the injustice you put up.... very sad. We understand those things.....the other video is just a parody, of snippets of a very nasty person.... I do not know who she is but she was standing  next to the health minister.....
      I am not well, so I may not make it thru this system..... and I am happy to say maybe it is a  good thing.... I want to praise jehovah until I die ...but the opportunities are getting less.... and who wants to see people suffer?  If I were still around I would be severely stressed by it.  
      My father always said " know all, blow all" when people think they know it all.  And I have seen some pretty opinionated people on here. Mostly people who have had very little suffering and had authority in congregations.   
      I encourage you to stay strong dear sister and please devote more time to worship Jehovah in love. I also want to cut my time on internet ........ I spend time trying to find hidden  news about new developments in UN etc.  Soon all news about what is really  going on will not be available..... just mandates from governments and propaganda from the governments. People will be liquidated and we will not be able to get news about it. 
      Just stay strong. I am glad you spoke out about Australia.... I have a friend there who is too afraid to talk on internet.  They have already built  Covid "camps" in USA and Australia.... the  ĺorcing all "faith in god" out of everyone..  only worship of the state will be allowed. .... to compromise as many as he can.
      Strengthen yourself. No one can do it for you. 
      · 0 replies
    • Toni  »  T.B. (Twyla)

Thank you so much for the spiritual food!!!
      Agape
      Toni
      · 0 replies
    • Arauna  »  TrueTomHarley

Hi Tom, where are u?  I miss ya! 
      · 2 replies
    • Eric Ouellet

ג Guimel
      Ô. Jéhovah trace le chemin de ma vie;
      car en vous je met ma confiance entière.
      Vos paroles se révèlent à mon oreille.
      Je voudrais être prêt à vous servir toute au long de ma vie.
      La source de mes secrets, vous est révelé devant vous;
      votre justice est comme la lumière du soleil en plein midi.
      Seul mon Dieu peut discerner les actions de mon Âme;
      les secrets de mes pensées et de celles de mes actions.
      Ô mon Dieu Jéhovah , je voudrais recevoir l'honneur 
      de la protection du Dieu de mon Salut. 
      J'aimerais recevoir l'eau de ta source pour m'abreuver 
      comme un chameau avant le grand pèlerinage de ma foi.
      Devant vos yeux se dessine la quête de ma victoire;
      Car Jéhovah est grand et infiniment digne de louanges.
      La grandeur de votre sagesse et de votre intelligence est inscrutable.
      Je voudrais rendre grâce à Jéhovah et m'unir à tous les justes et humbles de la terre.
      Tous ensemble exaltons le Nom glorieux de notre Dieu d'amour.
      Les œuvres de notre Dieu Jéhovah sont grandioses, à tout jamais.
      Hallélouyah
      Ô. Jéhovah voulez-vous protèger votre serviteur;
      afin que je vive et que j’obéisse à vos paroles?
      Ouvre mes yeux pour que je vois clairement
      les choses merveilleuses de votre loi qui sont inscrites
      à l'intérieur des paroles de votre livre merveilleux.

Je ne suis qu’un étranger dans le pays de la terre.
      Ô mon Dieu ne me cache d'aucune manière la beauté 
      de vos préceptes qui gardent vos serviteurs en vie.
      Bénis soit celui qui me révèle le chemin que je dois parcourir;
      le désir que manifeste mon âme qui est attaché à ma poussière.

Je voudrais connaître le secret de préserver mon âme;
      ce cadeau inestimable du seul vrai Dieu; ce lien d'appartenance que je dois préserver au gré de ma vie comme à la prunelle de mes yeux.
      Je voudrais brûler constamment de désir pour tes jugements;
      car les jugements de mon Dieu révèle sa grandeur.

Ô. Jéhovah réprimandes les présomptueux,
      les hypocrites qui dévient de la beauté de tes commandements.
      Éloigne de moi la dérision et le mépris de ce monde,
      car je veux obéir à tes rappels et je veux être soucieux de garder 
      mon âme de toutes violences et de toutes souillures de ce monde.
      Même si les princes de ce monde se réunissent 
      pour parler contre tes serviteurs;
      Tes serviteurs méditent sur vos prescriptions;
      unie à votre amour comme un seul, nous sommes attachés à vos rappels ;
      Tous ceux qui sont avec toi au mon Dieu sont mes conseillers.
      L'humilité et ma douceur garde mes yeux éveillés à lire votre parole, jour et nuit; car votre parole est la source de la lumière qui fera briller mon âme au jour de votre salut.
      Ô. Jéhovah fait briller ta justice et ton droit comme l’aurore du soleil en plein midi.
      Les descendants de ton salut seront puissant sur la terre.
      Gloire et honneur soit rendu à notre Dieu Jéhovah. 
      Bénis soit le Dieu unique de notre Salut
      Hallélouyah.

· 1 reply
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ghdus1101

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.