The World News Media

Disfellowshipped Children at the Memorial

Darlene Hamilton

6 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

The life of the JW organisation or the life of the  witness?

Stop playing.  ;)  You know full well the answer to that question.

9 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

I see you quoted me out of context on the subject of baptism.

How so?

9 minutes ago, Eoin Joyce said:

May I ask are you speaking as an ex-Witness or a non-Witness?

Technically neither.

• Views 1.6k
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ann, is that anger I read in your answer? We must follow, not go ahead with how we feel. Too many examples in scripture on the outcome of those who did. Can we speak? Does this include, hugs and kisse

5 hours ago, Ann O'Maly said:

Stop playing.  ;)  You know full well the answer to that question.

I'm not playing Ann O'Maly. Your meaning is not clear and my response depends on which is true.

5 hours ago, Ann O'Maly said:

How so?

The context includes  "Any reasoning based on this view would not reflect matters as Jehovah's Witnesses see things. It may, however, reflect matters as non-Witnesses or ex-Witnesses would see things."

e.g. Witnesses do not view:  baptism as a "rubber-stamp";  dedication as a "commitment"  Those who are not dedicated Jehovah's Witnesses often use these descriptions.

13 hours ago, Eoin Joyce said:

I'm not playing Ann O'Maly. Your meaning is not clear and my response depends on which is true.

The 1968 WT quote wasn't clear enough?

The context includes  "Any reasoning based on this view would not reflect matters as Jehovah's Witnesses see things. It may, however, reflect matters as non-Witnesses or ex-Witnesses would see things."

This was summarized in your preceding statement:

"This is not an assessment that one of Jehovah's Witnesses would make."

e.g. Witnesses do not view:  baptism as a "rubber-stamp";  dedication as a "commitment"  Those who are not dedicated Jehovah's Witnesses often use these descriptions.

'Rubber-stamp' - I meant it in the same metaphorical way as a wedding ceremony officially 'rubber-stamps' a relationship as being committed and permanent.

'Commitment': 

Synonyms
adhesion, allegiance, attachment, fidelity, constancy, dedication, devotedness, devotion, faith, faithfulness, fastness, fealty, loyalty, piety, steadfastness, troth - http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commitment

*** w79 10/1 p. 27 par. 20 “The Keys of the Kingdom” and the “Great Crowd” ***
These [of the 'sheep' class] come under the obligation to commit themselves to Jehovah’s Fine Shepherd, Jesus Christ. They show their commitment by “consecrating,” or dedicating, themselves to Jehovah through Christ. 

Yes. You are playing with words.

2 hours ago, Ann O'Maly said:

You are playing with words

Just your  opinion, to which you are of course entitled.

Rubber-stamp

Definition: 

2. A person or organization that gives automatic approval or authorization to the decisions of others, without proper consideration:

Not a Jehovahs's Witness view of baptism

w79 10/1 p. 27 par. 20 ...... show their commitment by .......dedicating...... (extract)

Not a Jehovahs's Witness view of dedication

We've moved on since 1979, e.g WT 1/15/2010 p.4 par.4: "Christian dedication is a serious matter. It is more than a mere commitment"

As I said, Witnesses do not view:  baptism as a "rubber-stamp";  dedication as a "commitment"  

@Ann O'Maly. In view of the Librarian's comments elsewhere regarding creating new threads, this discussion seems to be heading away from the original question. So I will cease here unless the topic is raised elsewhere.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.