The World News Media

Spider webs have existed for at least 100 million years, amazing! (video)

Queen Esther

This  cleverness / talent,  Jehovah  put  into  her  tiny  brain :x:)  ( calls,  instinct )

A_classic_circular_form_spider's_web.jpg

A_classic_circular_form_spider's_web.....

A spider web, spiderweb, spider's web, or cobweb (from the archaic word coppe, meaning "spider")[1] is a device created by a spider out of proteinaceous spider silk extruded from its spinnerets, generally meant to catch its prey.

Spider webs have existed for at least 100 million years, as witnessed in a rare find of Early Cretaceous amber from Sussex, southern England.[2] Insects can get trapped in spider webs, providing nutrition to the spider; however, not all spiders build webs to catch prey, and some do not build webs at all. "Spider web" is typically used to refer to a web that is apparently still in use (i.e. clean), whereas "cobweb" refers to abandoned (i.e. dusty) webs.[3] However, "cobweb" is used to describe the tangled three-dimensional web[4] of some spiders of the Theridiidae family. While this large family is also known as the tangle-web spiders, cobweb spiders and comb-footed spiders, they actually have a huge range of web architectures.

MUCH  MORE  DETAILS :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_web

• Views 1.3k
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This  cleverness / talent,  Jehovah  put  into  her  tiny  brain   ( calls,  instinct ) A_classic_circular_form_spider's_web..... A spider web, spiderweb, spider's web, or cobw

Little  wonder - works  of  spider webs,  in  winter  and  after  rain So  thin  threads  and  so  firm !   ? .•*¨`*•..¸???¸.•*¨`*•. ? MORE  HERE : https://phys.o

I know what you mean,  but I'm more fascinated from the wonderful instinct, Jehovah's work??? So many animals have all different instincts,  WOW,  thats so COOL !!  What a great Creator we ha

Posted Images

frozen-spider-web-fake.jpg

spiderandweb.jpgfrost-covered-spiders-web-in-winter-london-england-united-kingdom-d1cjwr.jpgfrozen_spiderweb_by_jonathanjessup-d4agkcj.jpg

thumb-1920-699941.jpg

Little  wonder - works  of  spider webs,  in  winter  and  after  rain :x

So  thin  threads  and  so  firm !   ? .•*¨`*•..¸???¸.•*¨`*•. ?

MORE  HERE :

https://phys.org/news/2013-06-spider-silk-nature-stronger-steel.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_silk

Agreed .... for how much it weighs, spider web is stronger than steel wire.    During WWII the gubberment made the Bomber targeting bomb sights cross-hairs out of spider web single strands.

A large spider web is also good for putting in bullet holes to stop bleeding .... the clots form, and are held in place by the web material.

I hope at the end of my life ... knowing all kinds of stuff like this ... will have been a complete waste of time.

5 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Agreed .... for how much it weighs, spider web is stronger than steel wire. 

The qualifications in this sentence was "... for how much it weighs .....

I have never tested it myself, but it is my understanding that if a strand of steel wire was as light as a spiders web, it would have to have a much smaller diameter than the web strand, and therefore be weaker.

I suppose if I had about $40,000 ... I could actually test it.

Once in a great while, I am wrong ... I used to tell my children I knew everything but four things ... and they caught me on three of them.

This may be number 4.

Spider silk is a wonder of nature, but it's not stronger than steel....

You must have heard that spider silk is stronger than steel. We all want to believe that there are wonder materials in nature that are far superior to human-made ones. But the problem with statements that sound too good to be true is that they usually are.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2013-06-spider-silk-nature-stronger-steel.html#jCp

Spider silk is NOT stronger than steel.

But that shouldn't stop us from studying it, or from thinking of it as a wonder material.

At best, spider silk might compare to steel when it comes to tensile strength, which is the largest stress that a material can withstand before breaking. For one variety of spider silk the value of tensile strength is just above 1 GPa, a unit of measuring force per unit area. That equates to a mid-range value for steel, where strengths range from 0.2 GPa to nearly 2 GPa.

Tensile strength is only one critical property. The stiffness of silk, which is its ability to deform elastically when force is applied, is many times less than that of steel. Where spider silk seems to beat steel by a large margin is its density, which is almost six times less. On a per-weight basis then, silk starts to look more interesting, with the ratio of strength to density exceeding that of steel.

You  will  find  still  more  in  internet !  THANK  YOU :)

When I made the observation, I was ONLY considering the tensile strength of single strand of spider web, and the tensile strength of an equivalent weight of steel strand.

Obviously you cannot use spiderweb material to make a cantilevered load, such as a  swimming pool diving board,  a shelf attached to a wall, or make an equivalent weight steel filing cabinet made from equivalent spider web, or build a steel spring.for a screen door.

My original statement was about STEEL WIRE ... NOT structural steel beams and columns, or plate or sheet steel ... as referenced here:

14 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

Agreed .... for how much it weighs, spider web is stronger than steel wire. 

8 hours ago, James Thomas Rook Jr. said:

The qualifications in this sentence was "... for how much it weighs .....

I have never tested it myself, but it is my understanding that if a strand of steel wire was as light as a spiders web, it would have to have a much smaller diameter than the web strand, and therefore be weaker.

From the reference Queen Esther supplied:

7 hours ago, Queen Esther said:

Tensile strength is only one critical property. The stiffness of silk, which is its ability to deform elastically when force is applied, is many times less than that of steel. Where spider silk seems to beat steel by a large margin is its density, which is almost six times less. On a per-weight basis then, silk starts to look more interesting, with the ratio of strength to density exceeding that of steel.

To quote the above reference supplied by Queen Esther, which completely agrees with my original observation: "On a per-weight basis then, silk starts to look more interesting, with the ratio of strength to density exceeding that of steel."

I think I will do a Snoopy the Dog "Happy Dance" across the monitor !!

YAY!  I still have 1 out of 4 "being wrongs", still in the "bank".

Hopefully, this will clarify several different perspectives and viewpoints ... tensile strength is how much weight you can hang from a wire, or rope, or spider web strand or other support ..... before it stretches and breaks.

Ever try to push a rope across the floor?

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.