The World News Media

King David Betrayed by His Son Absalom - David still loved him as his death - Very devoted King and Father

Bible Speaks

King David Betrayed by His Son Absalom - David still loved him as his death - Very devoted King and Father - Yet Disasterous results!

(Psalm 3:superscription-8) A melody of David when he was running away on account of Ab?sa·lom his son. 3O Jehovah, why have my adversaries become many? Why are many rising up against me? 2 Many are saying of my soul: “There is no salvation for him by God.” Se?lah. 3 And yet you, O Jehovah, are a shield about me, My glory and the One lifting up my head. 4 With my voice I shall call to Jehovah himself, And he will answer me from his holy mountain. Se?lah. 5 As for me, I will lie down that I may sleep; I shall certainly awake, for Jehovah himself keeps supporting me. 6 I shall not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves in array against me round about. 7 Do arise, O Jehovah! Save me, O my God! For you will have to strike all my enemies on the jaw. The teeth of wicked ones you will have to break. 8 Salvation belongs to Jehovah. Your blessing is upon your people. Se?lah.
(Ab?sa·lom) [Father [that is, God] Is Peace].
The third of six sons born to David at Hebron.
Physical beauty ran strong in Absalom’s family. He was nationally praised for his outstanding beauty; his luxuriant growth of hair, doubtless made heavier by the use of oil or ointments, weighed some 200 shekels (2.3 kg; 5 lb) when annually cut. His sister Tamar was also beautiful, and his daughter, named for her aunt, was “most beautiful in appearance.” (2Sa 14:25-27; 13:1) Rather than being of benefit, however, this beauty contributed to some ugly events that caused immense grief to Absalom’s father, David, as well as to others, and produced great turmoil for the nation.

Any natural or filial affection that Absalom had for David, however, had apparently vanished during the five years of separation from his father. Three years of association with pagan royalty may have cultivated the corroding influence of ambition. Absalom might have viewed himself as destined for the throne because of being descended from royalty on both sides of the family

Nevertheless, God’s promise to David of a future “seed” to inherit the throne was given after Absalom’s birth, and hence he should have known that he was not Jehovah’s choice for the kingship. (2Sa 7:12) At any rate, once restored to royal rank, Absalom began an underhanded political campaign. With consummate skill he feigned great concern for the public welfare and presented himself as a man of the people. He carefully insinuated to the people, particularly those of the tribes outside Judah, that the king’s court was lacking in interest in their problems and was greatly in need of a warmhearted man like Absalom.—2Sa 15:1-6.

Absalom, feeling satisfied that he had built up a strong following throughout the realm, obtained permission from his father by means of a pretext to go to Hebron, the original capital of Judah. From there he quickly organized a full-scale conspiracy for the throne, including a nationwide web of spies to proclaim his kingship. After having invoked God’s blessing on his rule by offering sacrifices, he obtained the support of his father’s most respected counselor, Ahithophel. Many now swung to Absalom’s side.—2Sa 15:7-12.

Absalom’s newly formed forces were administered a crushing defeat by David’s experienced fighters. The battle reached into the forest of Ephraim. Absalom, riding away on his royal mule, passed under the low branches of a large tree and apparently got his head enmeshed in the fork of a branch so that he was left suspended in the air. The man who reported to Joab that he had seen him said he would not have disobeyed David’s request by slaying Absalom for “a thousand pieces of silver [if shekels, c. $2,200],” but Joab felt no such restraint and drove three shafts into Absalom’s heart, after which ten of his men joined their captain in sharing the responsibility for Absalom’s death. Absalom’s body was thereafter thrown into a hollow and covered with a mound of stones as unworthy of burial.—2Sa 18:6-17; compare Jos 7:26; 8:29.

When messengers reached David in Mahanaim, his first concern was for his son. Learning of Absalom’s death, David paced the floor of the roof chamber, crying: “My son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! O that I might have died, I myself, instead of you, Absalom my son, my son!” (2Sa 18:24-33) Only Joab’s blunt, straightforward speech and reasoning brought David out of his great grief due to the tragic course and end of this physically attractive and resourceful young man, whose driving ambition led him to fight against God’s anointed, thus bringing himself to ruin.—2Sa 19:1-8; compare Pr 24:21, 22.
Psalm 3 was written by David at the time of AbsalomÂ’s revolt, according to the superscription that heads the psalm.

28C1812C-C231-45D5-A87F-187DC922BE61.jpeg

• Views 300
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Popular Posts

King David Betrayed by His Son Absalom - David still loved him as his death - Very devoted King and Father - Yet Disasterous results! (Psalm 3:superscription-8) A melody of David when he was runn

Posted Images