The World News Media

A PASSION THAT NEVER DIES: Carver's Tiffany Kornegay coaching girls basketball at Choate Rosemary Hall

Guest Nicole

Guest Nicole

Posted Mar. 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM
Updated at 4:10 PM 

Once upon a time, music and sports were enough to light Tiffany Kornegay’s fire.

Nowadays her passion has extended to the Choate Rosemary Hall prep school students she teaches and with whom she interacts on a daily basis.

“The students have a strong inclination to want to learn; that’s what really gets me fired up, to work with these students and my colleagues, as well,” the former Tabor Academy and Tufts University student-athlete from Carver said.

“Just to be in an environment where it’s cool to learn new things and to be exposed to different cultures and languages – doing things I love doing – that really gets me excited. Being here, working here exposes me to things that I don’t think I would know about unless I was in this type of environment.”

Kornegay, 26, is in her fourth year at Choate Rosemary Hall, located in Wallingford, Conn., as a teacher of social sciences, an assistant coach of the girls basketball team, and a co-head coach in spring track and field.

In addition, she’s a dorm parent and actively practices her religion as a Jehovah’s Witness.

The days the music died

What’s not taking any of Kornegay’s time nowadays is creating music, once a prime activity for her and still available to the public for enjoyment online. Her reason for not doing much music in 2016?

“I still write verses and collect instrumentals, but I don't have the time to record anymore,” she said. “Not having the time to sit down and write, in addition to having writer’s block, has made it difficult to write new songs. Several of my students at Choate enjoy writing music and have asked me to collaborate, so hopefully I will be able to come up with something.”

As a dorm parent, she said, “I have about 22 girls from all over the world living in a dorm. I make sure they do their homework and that they have the type of support they would get if they were home. Obviously they’re at a boarding school and I’m just giving them extra time and attention.”

Much of Kornegay’s enjoyment stems from the students she teaches, on and off the athletic field. Her affinity for psychology and its application in sports makes her such a multifaceted coach.

“I try motivating kids to work to their highest potential,” Kornegay said. “I used to get stressed before a game or a race and I try to help the kids here manage that stress.

“Understanding the mind, how emotions and beliefs play a role (in all facets of life), was always an area of conversation in my family. I think that kind of shaped my interest in psychology and swayed me in that direction. I paid close attention to my own feelings, other people’s feelings, and I just try to get a better understanding, knowing that we’re not all the same as far as interests and dislikes go.”

Source: http://carver.wickedlocal.com/article/20160325/SPORTS/160326811

• Views 432
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.