The World News Media

I'm a Jehovah's Witness and Can't Take an Oath--Can I Still Become a Naturalized U.S. Citizen?

Guest Kurt

Guest Kurt

image.png

Question

I am a permanent resident and was hoping to apply for U.S. citizenship. I am also a Jehovah’s Witness and I have been taught not to take an oath of allegiance to a country and that military service is forbidden. Can I still become a naturalized U.S. citizen without taking an oath?

Answer

To become a U.S. citizen, you will still have to attend an oath ceremony and make a pledge of allegiance to the United States. However, permanent residents who are “conscientious objectors” to military service and those whose religion has instructed them not to use the word “oath,” can request a modified oath from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Please see What to Expect at the Naturalization Oath Ceremony  to learn more this final step of the U.S. citizenship process.

There are four phrases of the oath you may, as a Jehovah's witness, be allowed to omit:

1. “On oath” (You will instead use “solemnly affirm.”)
  2. “So help me God”
  3. “Willing to bear arms on behalf of the U.S.”
  4. “Willing to perform noncombatant services in the Armed Forces of the U.S.”

You should request a modified oath when you submit your N-400, Application for Naturalization. Form N-400 will ask questions about taking up weapons, joining in a war, or providing noncombatant services in the armed forces. (For line-by-line instructions on filling out this form, see Filling Out USCIS Form N-400.)

You must attach information to your N-400 application stating that you are a member of the Jehovah’s Witnesses in good standing (an active participant in congregational events) along with a letter on official letterhead that Jehovah’s Witnesses are opposed to bearing arms, military service, and using the words “on oath.” In your case, a letter from your congregation’s elder is considered adequate evidence.

At your naturalization interview, a USCIS officer may ask you further questions on this topic. (Also see What to Expect at Your Naturalization Interview.)

If approved, you will be able to omit the words that are contrary to your religious beliefs. However, you will still need to renounce your titles and citizenship in other nations, pledge to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, and provide work of national importance under civilian direction where required by law.

image.pngsource<<<click

• 5 years later...

• Views 5.8k
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, boyle said:

What good is this post for true Christians?

"Nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed, the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him.  God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.”

Jehovah is the God of Truth. His witnesses love truth. 

Some people in the organization say "don't tell the truth because it will reproach Jehovah's name" but that's a bunch of bunk. The whole Bible is full of telling the truth about wacky stuff that went on. Jehovah had the Benjaminites mass sex sin recorded in the Bible. The Benjaminites were one of the 12 tribes of Israel. You don't see Jehovah shoving that information under the rug saying "oh, don't publish that because we have to protect my name". Nope. Jehovah put it right out there for everyone to see, because Jehovah is a Real Manly God, He's not a 'fraidy cat that needs people's approval. 

Jehovah never does anything bad, and just because some people who claim to represent him do bad things doesn't change who Jehovah is. He is secure enough in Himself. Let the truth shine.

(John 4:23,24)

30 minutes ago, boyle said:

Do you believe former members of Christ's body also love the truth? If they do, why do they continue to lie, and exploit?

The organization is not the body of the Christ.

The organization is an organization, a group of congregations, and it has Jehovah's name on it, so He will clean it.

The body of Christ is a different type of group, not mutually exclusive per se, but it is those anointed to be Christ's "bride". It doesn't matter if they are in or out of the physical organization of Jehovah's Witnesses (meaning it doesn't change the anointing if they get kicked out by bad men), because the anointing is independent of any counsel of men. The anointing is from Jehovah Himself through Jesus.

Here is what John said about some who "went out" of the body (meaning went out from under the headship of Christ, or who stopped listening to Christ...such ones may still be in the literal organization of Jehovah's Witnesses but that doesn't matter, if they "went out" from obeying Jesus as Head then they are in trouble even if they are GB members...)

"Young children, it is the last hour, and just as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared, from which fact we know that it is the last hour.  They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But they went out so that it might be shown that not all are of our sort."

"And you have an anointing from the holy one, and all of you have knowledge.  I write you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie originates with the truth."

"Who is the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.  Everyone who denies the Son does not have the Father either. But whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also."

"As for you, what you have heard from the beginning must remain in you. If what you have heard from the beginning remains in you, you will also remain in union with the Son and in union with the Father. Furthermore, this is what he himself promised us—the life everlasting.

"I write you these things about those who are trying to mislead you.  And as for you, the anointing that you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to be teaching you; but the anointing from him is teaching you about all things and is true and is no lie. Just as it has taught you, remain in union with him."

"So now, little children, remain in union with him, so that when he is made manifest we may have freeness of speech and not shrink away from him in shame at his presence.  If you know that he is righteous, you also know that everyone who practices righteousness has been born from him."

The anointed don't need the GB to teach them, because the holy spirit teaches them. The GB are liars about that "channel" business. A real anointed person who is awake knows that. 

The GB denies the Christ when they deny teachings of the Christ. The kingly law of love is the ultimate law. The disfellowshipping doctrine denies the kingly law of love. The GB is in big trouble.

(1 John 2:18-29)

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.