The World News Media

What do we need to beleive?

Many Miles

But Thomas, one of the Twelve, who was called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples were telling him: “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them: “Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will never believe it.” Well, eight days later his disciples were again indoors, and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and he stood in their midst and said: “May you have peace.” Next he said to Thomas: “Put your finger here, and see my hands, and take your hand and stick it into my side, and stop doubting but believe.” In answer Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him: “Because you have seen me, have you believed? Happy are those who have not seen and yet believe.” To be sure, Jesus also performed many other signs before the disciples, which are not written down in this scroll. But these have been written down so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and because of believing, you may have life by means of his name. (John 20)

We have an object lesson in that written account.

One of Jesus' original twelve apostles was unwilling to believe something just because other men he knew and trusted said it was true. Thomas was the one. Though Thomas was eyewitness to some of Jesus' supernatural miracles, in this particular instance Thomas needed something more than the word of men he knew and trusted. Jesus was not the one telling him what he was told. Men who knew Jesus were telling Thomas what he was told. Even though he knew and trusted these men, trusting what men said was not enough in this instance. He needed something objective, something measurable. The man from Nazareth gave Thomas what he needed.

There is a proverb saying "Do not hold back good from those to whom it is owing, when it happens to be in the power of your hand to do it." Jesus did that for Thomas.

So today, when accepting the word of men we know and trust is not enough for us to accept a certain piece of information, a certain teaching, what do we have to help them that is objective; that is measurable?

We don't have supernatural power to demonstrate Divine authorization. Moses was given this. Jesus was given this. Some among Jesus' earliest followers were given this. But with their deaths that manner of demonstration was gone, at least until some future point where it might again be given.

So what do we have for person's who fear God and want to do right by Him yet need more than trusting our beliefs to accept a particular teaching as God's will? We have three things.

1) Presumption that the written record we call the Bible is testimony of God's will.

2) Presumption that the object record of the natural world around us is testimony of God's will.

3) Our brains capable of forming sound conclusions (logical conclusions).

If we want someone to accept a belief we hold dear is solidly based on God's will, then we have that third item to make it measurable.

The man from Nazareth gave Thomas what he needed because it happened to be in his power to do so.

Today, if someone needs more than trusting us to accept a particular teaching as God's will, we have the power of sound reason to measure the veracity of that teaching. But, like it or not, sound reason is a double edged sword of sorts. It's objective, and no respecter of persons. Because sound reasoning measures the veracity of a belief does not mean it will always demonstrate a particular belief we cherish is true. This is because, by means of sound reason, we may discover a teaching we cherish is at best unsound, and maybe even false. But even in that case, we got what we needed for belief.

• Views 160
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But Thomas, one of the Twelve, who was called the Twin, was not with them when Jesus came. So the other disciples were telling him: “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them: “Unless I see in his h

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Contributors

• Topics

• You are not in Kansas, anymore. Your bluster is irrelevant.  
    • That simply implies that you, as a glorified plumber, do not truly comprehend quantum physics as you pretend to. However, you are indeed right about one thing - your criminal record, which is easily accessible to anyone, will reveal the true nature of your character. That was the intended reference, not the delusional manipulation of words that you employ to divert attention from the fact that you are fundamentally driven by base instincts as an animal at heart, which you continue to display, and people want to continue to defend you for it. Their vigorous defense of you speaks volumes about their lack of Christian ethics, overshadowing your insignificant existence. I prefer not to engage in conflict with an uninformed individual, even in this thread that was intriguing, but unfortunately, someone uncouth always manages to spoil it.
    • HERE IS WHAT YOU ACTUALLY POSTED!!! YIKES!
    • First of all, I have no criminal record which is immaterial and irrelevant to a discussion of quantum physics. You are trying to attack my credibility with ad-hominem attacks to deflect from your colossal incompetence. If I was a Nazi mass-murderer chained to a wall in Spandau Prison, what I stated here would still be true … and if you were an angel from God your irrelevant bullshit would STILL be irrelevant bullshit. You have PROVED here you havn’t got the SLIGHTEST clue what you are talking about … with every sentence. This is NOT the JW open club … we are NOT discussing theology, we are discussing the physics of light, which your statements and bluffs CLEARLY show you have no understanding at all … None Whatsoever! I wii have to admit, you got balls the size of an elephant to try an backup your complete drivel about Quantum Electrodynamics with that bogus book on intimate relationships, and ad-hominem attacks.  If you were a cow, that cowboy with the rifle might advise you to wipe that foam off of your mouth!
    • It's satisfying to know that my comments concerning profanity aren't going unnoticed, especially when they come from someone who considers themselves superior without even attempting to contribute intellectually. I suppose it's true what they say, once an animal, always an animal. It seems that with your criminal record, you're destined to remain that way. This exercise benefits a specific person in the closed club who believes that Christian love is the solution, despite a person's heart being beyond redemption with their public actions and behavior. I would be embarrassed to think this animal was once a JW.
  • Members

• Pudgy

Pudgy 2,428

• Recent Status Updates

• Pamela Dunston  »  T.B. (Twyla)

Hi, TB
      I would like to get the weekly meeting and watchtower materials  and the 2024 convention 
      Attend the 2024 Convention—“Declare the Good News!”
      notebook, I just recently got a new computer, If don't mind my brother to add me on and allow me access to our study again.

Thank you, so much
      Sister Dunston
      · 0 replies
    • SpiritualSister 24  »  DARLENE2022

Hello, Darlene, I just love your name, I had a cousin named Darline, and had a classmate also named Darlene! It's a pleasure to know another Darlene! Especially a Spiritual Sister! There's some websites, Ministry Ideaz , JW Stuff.com, and Etsy that I use to order my yearly buttons for the Conventions! They always send me what I order, and their also Jehovah's Witnesses, that send us the merchandise we order!  You can check out these websites, and they might have what your looking for! I hope I have been helpful in assisting you, Darlene! Agape love, Shirley!😀
      · 1 reply
    • SpiritualSister 24

2024"Enter Into God's Rest" Circuit Assembly! 
      · 0 replies
    • Janice Lewis  »  T.B. (Twyla)

Hello Twyla, when will the weekly study material be available. I am a member.
      Janice Lewis     lewisjanice84@gmail.com
      Thank you
      · 1 reply
    • Chloe Newman  »  T.B. (Twyla)

Hi Twyla,

When will the meeting material for week com Monday 11th March 2024 be available?

You normally post it the week before, normally on a Thursday.

Please let me know if there is any problem.

Best Regards

Chloe

· 0 replies
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    sperezrejon

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.