The World News Media

What is Wrong With Christmas Customs? ??

Bible Speaks

8 “And it must occur on the day of Jehovah’s sacrifice that I will give attention to the princes, and to the sons of the king, and to all those wearing foreign attire."

9 "And I will give attention to everyone that is climbing upon the platform in that day, those who are filling the house of their masters with violence and deception."
( Zep.1:8,9)

What Is Wrong With Christmas Customs?
Christmas has long been described as a traditional Christian festival to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Many of the customs used in this celebration, however, make us wonder how they came to be associated with Jesus’ birth in the first place.

For one thing, there is the myth of Santa Claus. The modern-day jolly, white-bearded, rosy-cheeked, red-suited Santa is known to have been a successful Christmas advertisement created for a North American beverage company in 1931. During the 1950’s, some Brazilians tried to replace Santa Claus with a native legendary figure—Grandpa Indian. The result? 

Santa Claus not only defeated Grandpa Indian but even “defeated the child Jesus and became the official representative of the feast of December 25,” says Professor Carlos E. Fantinati. But are myths such as Santa Claus the only problem with Christmas? For the answer, let us go back to early Christianity.

“During the first two centuries of Christianity there was strong opposition to recognizing birthdays of martyrs or, for that matter, of Jesus,” states the Encyclopedia Britannica. Why? 

Christians viewed birthday celebrations as a pagan custom, something to be avoided altogether. In fact, no mention of the date of Jesus’ birth can be found in the Bible.

In the fourth century C.E., despite the stand taken by the early Christians against the custom of celebrating birthdays, the Catholic Church instituted Christmas. The church wanted to strengthen its position by removing one of the main obstacles in its way—the popularity of the pagan Roman religions and their winter solstice festivals. Each year, from December 17 through January 1, “most Romans feasted, gamed, reveled, paraded, and joined in other festivities as they paid homage to their deities,” says Christmas in America, by Penne L. Restad. And on December 25, the Romans celebrated the birth of the Invincible Sun. Instituting Christmas on that day, the church cajoled many Romans into celebrating the birth of Jesus instead of the birth of the sun. Romans “were still able to enjoy the trappings of these midwinter festivals,” says Santa Claus, a Biography, by Gerry Bowler. In reality, they “continued to mark the new days with old ways.”

Clearly, then, the main problem with Christmas celebrations lies in their unsavory origins. In his book The Battle for Christmas, Stephen Nissenbaum refers to Christmas as “nothing but a pagan festival covered with a Christian veneer.” Christmas, therefore, dishonors God and his Son, Jesus Christ. Is this just a trivial matter? The Bible asks: “What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness?” (2 Corinthians 6:14) 

Like the trunk of a tree that has grown crooked, Christmas is so twisted that it “cannot be made straight.”—Ecclesiastes 1:15.

IMG_0614.JPG

• Views 2.4k
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

8 “And it must occur on the day of Jehovah’s sacrifice that I will give attention to the princes, and to the sons of the king, and to all those wearing foreign attire."  9 "And I will give attent

Sadly, most people do not want to hear such things. At one place I worked, one of my coworkers was so upset when the topic came up that she stated that she would punch anybody in the face if they told

How many JW's like to debate / discuss the doctrines and/or practices of the WBTS? Or is it safe to say "Sadly, most JW's do not want to hear such things" Funny, but as it is a tradition in the J

Posted Images

Sadly, most people do not want to hear such things. At one place I worked, one of my coworkers was so upset when the topic came up that she stated that she would punch anybody in the face if they told her young children the truth about christmas and ruined it for them. 

Some years later I was speaking with a close relative about it and she acknowledged that Jesus was not born on December 25th. Her comment was, "Sonny boy, nobody really believes that Jesus was born on December 25th." I had to tell her that contrary to her belief, I have met many individuals over the years who were adamant the Jesus was born on that day. People with college educations who were supposedly taught to use their reasoning ability were just as easily mislead as anybody else. So is the power of satan in this world where lies are paraded as truth.

How many JW's like to debate / discuss the doctrines and/or practices of the WBTS? Or is it safe to say "Sadly, most JW's do not want to hear such things"

Funny, but as it is a tradition in the JW community to be very date focused (1874, 1879, 1914, 1918/1919, 1925, 1975 etc), many JW's believe that for the outside world the date of 25 December is essential. Well, as the date was set by people who are not alive anymore, most people today either believe the date is correct and those that do not, do not really mind. In all cases, the date was not set by any of the people who live today. Therefore, the date has become more a so-called given and people just act accordingly. Compare that behaviour to JW's who act according to the dates the gb has set for the so-called invisible enthronement of Jesus in 1914. A date that is not found in the bible. As most JW's will likely say that they do not mind the accuracy of that date but more the meaning they attach to that event, so do most people who celebrate Christmas

Are the customs linked to Christmas found in the bible? No,not in the sense that it has evolved to. But then again, is that relevant? Are these people dishonoring God because they give presents? They give food to the poor? They spend time with family and friends? They think about Christ?

What is more a way to dishonor God? Impose doctrines on people in the name of talking on behalf of God and at the same time revising these doctrines many times, like the use of blood, organ transplant etc? Or is it to shun even you children because they are, according to 3 men, not repentent (enough), for which you cannot find any scripture in the bible to support that shunning practice?

My point, do not look upon people who celebrate Christmas because they like to use that even to put more effort into helping others. Yes, in many western countries it has become a commercial event. But that is the commercial world, not all who participate in Christmas would support that.