The World News Media

io.porog

Our most recent understanding of the Babylonian captivity is that it runs from the 2nd century C.E. to 1919 C.E. Adjustments on this scale have big rippling effects on other teachings. So, my question is, can we come up with a list of other teachings affected by this adjustment and maybe show how they might fit into the adjusted understanding?

Reference: https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/watchtower-study-march-2016/questions-from-readers/#?insight[search_id]=f3a57813-1700-4959-a030-f0d668ac2e30&insight[search_result_index]=1

• Views 620
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Babylonian captivity was punishment for the unfaithfulness and disobedience of God's people.

The old JW understanding of the captivity to Babylon the Great incorporated the idea of punishment:

*** w55 12/1 p. 722 par. 17 Avoidance Inside the Cities of Refuge ***

"The original part of this remnant passed through the years of World War I, during which they became captive to the Babylonish world because they came under the fear of men in high station and their course of action was not altogether clean from this world, not entirely neutral toward the mortal combats of this world. How much of bloodguiltiness Jehovah at his temple judged to be upon them, we do not definitely know. But after he released them from their captivity to Babylon in 1919 they repented of any measure of sin in any respect, confessed their guilt and endeavored to clean up their worship of him under his guidance by Christ. Moreover, since then, and particularly down to 1931, thousands who were definitely tainted with bloodguilt heard the message of the Kingdom and of the coming Armageddon and they began to flee to the antitypical city of refuge. They repented and turned to God for mercy. With faith in his High Priest Jesus Christ they gave themselves in full dedication to God to do his will ever afterward and to remain strictly within his merciful provisions to be safeguarded against the executing of all the bloodguilty at Armageddon."

*** kj chap. 11 p. 207 par. 33 Disappointment in Store for Overconfident Ones ***

"These dedicated worshipers, anointed with Jehovah’s spirit, were brought into a Babylonish captivity and exile during the world war of 1914-1918 and underwent a severe disciplining then."

With the biblical captivity and the previous JW modern-day application, punishment only lasted for a short time - less than a standard lifespan for the former, and a few months for the latter. I cannot see a chatisement-deliverance component in the new modern day interpretation. Perhaps this is because it's hard for a single generation to learn a 1900-year-long lesson? 

HI ann your post doesn't really answer my question. I was looking for a list of current teachings affected by our new understanding of the Babylonish Captivity. For example, how does it afect our understanding of the 2 Witnesses of Revelation 11?

3 hours ago, Epiraima said:

HI ann your post doesn't really answer my question. I was looking for a list of current teachings affected by our new understanding of the Babylonish Captivity. For example, how does it afect our understanding of the 2 Witnesses of Revelation 11?

I know it doesn't exactly answer your question - I could only think of an observation and didn't want to leave your post hanging.

The core difficulty is the 1914/1919 eschatology that colors every JW interpretation of Revelation.

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.