The World News Media

LONG - SUFFERING - What is Long Suffering mean? ?

Bible Speaks

LONG - SUFFERING - What is Long Suffering mean? Does it mean to suffer for a long time? MAYBE! - Just think how long Jehovah has suffered with the wicked ones? Christ suffered on earth and was put to the test. Yet, He was Faithful to God His Father.

We too must learn how to be LONG-SUFFERING in our lives, no matter how bad things can be.

LONG-SUFFERING

The patient endurance of wrong or provocation, combined with a refusal to give up hope for improvement in the disturbed relationship. Long-suffering therefore has a purpose, looking particularly to the welfare of the one causing the disagreeable situation.

It does not mean the condoning of wrong, however. When the purpose for long-suffering is accomplished, or when there is no point in further putting up with the situation, long-suffering ends. It ends either with good to those giving provocation or with action against the wrongdoers. In any case the one exercising long-suffering is not harmed in spirit.

The literal meaning of the Hebrew expression translated “slow to anger” (“long-suffering” in some translations) is “length of nostrils [where anger flares up].” (Ex 34:6; Nu 14:18) The Greek word ma·kro·thy·mi′a (long-suffering) literally means “longness of spirit.” (Ro 2:4, Int)

Both the Hebrew and Greek expressions denote patience, forbearance, slowness to anger. The English word “suffering” in the word “long-suffering” has the sense of “putting up with, permitting, tolerating, holding up, or delaying.” “Long-suffering” means more than merely enduring pain or trouble. It does not mean merely “suffering long” but involves deliberate restraint.

The Scriptures reveal God’s evaluation of long-suffering and point out the foolishness and bad results of not maintaining “longness of spirit.”

The long-suffering person may seem weak, but he actually is using discernment. “He that is slow to anger is abundant in discernment, but one that is impatient is exalting foolishness.” (Pr 14:29) Long-suffering is better than physical mightiness, and it will accomplish more. “He that is slow to anger is better than a mighty man, and he that is controlling his spirit than the one capturing a city.”—Pr 16:32.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200002769

IMG_3690.JPG

• Views 968
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@SHARON LEE MOYER Thank you for your comments! Many are shy ☺️ why I don't know! Shout out the Truth, Can you imagine how long-suffering Jehovah is with the wicked and Satan! All the earth will know J

I can't see how Jehovah could be said to excercise long-suffering toward Satan on the basis of the definition given above??

However, His Anger and hot to destroy his opposers! Soon a relief in Heaven and Earth ? 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, SHARON LEE MOYER said:

thanks for these 3 that I posted on.... I needed the reminders.   Big AGAPE !!!:x

@SHARON LEE MOYER Thank you for your comments! Many are shy ☺️ why I don't know! Shout out the Truth, Can you imagine how long-suffering Jehovah is with the wicked and Satan! All the earth will know Jehovah and His Loyal Love ❤️ for all those Righteous at heart and mind, 

Agape ?????

19 hours ago, Bible Speaks said:

The patient endurance of wrong or provocation, combined with a refusal to give up hope for improvement in the disturbed relationship. Long-suffering therefore has a purpose, looking particularly to the welfare of the one causing the disagreeable situation.

11 minutes ago, Bible Speaks said:

Can you imagine how long-suffering Jehovah is with the wicked and Satan!

I can't see how Jehovah could be said to excercise long-suffering toward Satan on the basis of the definition given above??

Important Information

Terms of Service Confirmation Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.