The World News Media

WHAT KIND OF ARMOR DO YOU WANT? – ⚖️?⚔️?⚔️?⚖️

Bible Speaks

WHAT KIND OF ARMOR DO YOU WANT?

???????????

Armor (Defensive). In order to protect his body from the offensive weapons of the enemy, a soldier employed various kinds of shields and personal armor.

???????????

Shield. A broad piece of defensive armor used by all ancient nations. It was equipped with an inside handle and was carried by the warrior during battle, usually on the left arm or in the left hand, although during the march it may have been hung from a shoulder strap. Isaiah 22:6 indicates that some may have been provided with a cover that was removed at time of combat. In peacetime, shields were often placed in arsenals.—Ca 4:4.

Shields used in ancient times were often made of wood covered with leather, and such shields could be burned. (Eze 39:9) Whereas wooden and leather shields were in general use, it appears that metal shields were less common, being used especially by leaders, royal guards, or possibly for ceremonial purposes. (2Sa 8:7; 1Ki 14:27, 28) Shields were oiled to make them pliable and moisture resistant, to keep the metal from rusting, or to make them smooth and slippery. (2Sa 1:21) The leather shield was often decked with a heavy center boss (a knob or stud) of metal, which gave added protection.—Job 15:26.

???????????

The “large shield” (Heb., tsin·nah?) was carried by the heavily armed infantry (2Ch 14:8) and sometimes by a shield bearer. (1Sa 17:7, 41) It was either oval or else rectangular like a door. Apparently a similar “large shield” is designated at Ephesians 6:16 by the Greek word thy·re·os? (from thy?ra, meaning “door”). The tsin·nah? was large enough to cover the entire body. (Ps 5:12) It was on occasion used to set up solid-front battle lines with lances protruding. The large shield is sometimes mentioned with the lance or spear as a form of reference to weapons in general.—1Ch 12:8,34; 2Ch 11:12.

???????????

The smaller “shield” or “buckler” (Heb., ma·ghen?) was customarily carried by archers and is usually associated with light weapons such as the bow. For instance, it was carried by Benjaminite bowmen of Judean King Asa’s military force. (2Ch 14:8) The smaller shield was usually round and more common than the large shield, probably being used chiefly in hand-to-hand fighting. That the Hebrew tsin·nah? and ma·ghen? differed considerably in size seems to be indicated by the gold shields Solomon made, the large shield being overlaid with four times as much gold as the smaller shield, or buckler. (1Ki 10:16, 17; 2Ch 9:15, 16) Ma·ghen?, like tsin·nah?, seems to be used as part of a formula for weapons of war.—2Ch 14:8;17:17; 32:5.

???????????

The Hebrew word she?let, rendered ‘circular shield,’ occurs seven times in the Hebrew Scriptures and is evidently similar to the more common ma·ghen? (shield), since it is used in conjunction with ma·ghen? in The Song of Solomon 4:4.

???????????

Helmet. A military headgear designed to protect a fighter during battle and a very basic part of defensive armor. The Hebrew word for “helmet” is koh·va?? (alternately qoh·va??), while the Greek term is pe·ri·ke·pha·lai?a, literally meaning “around the head.”—1Sa 17:5, 38; Eph 6:17.

???????????

Originally, Israelite helmets were probably made of leather. Later these were covered with copper or iron and were worn over woolen, felt, or leather bonnets. Copper helmets were used in Israel as early as the days of King Saul. (1Sa 17:38) While helmets may at first have been reserved for kings and other leaders, later they were in general use, Uzziah furnishing his entire army with them.—2Ch 26:14.

???????????

The Philistines possessed metal helmets; Goliath wore one of copper. (1Sa 17:5) Ezekiel mentioned helmets in connection with Persians, Ethiopians, and others.—Eze 27:10; 38:5.

???????????

Coat of mail. A coat worn for protection during battle. The coat of mail (Heb., shir·yohn? or shir·yan?) consisted of a cloth or leather cloak that had hundreds of small adjoining pieces of metal (somewhat like fish scales) attached to its surface. Often it covered the breast, back, and shoulders, though it sometimes reached to the knees or even the ankles.—1Sa 17:5.

???????????

Among the Hebrews the coat of mail was frequently made of leather covered with metal scales or plates. The wearer enjoyed considerable protection thereby, but, nonetheless, would be vulnerable where the scales were connected or where the coat of mail adjoined other parts of the armor. Thus, King Ahab was mortally wounded by a bowman who “got to strike the king of Israel between the appendages and the coat of mail.”—1Ki 22:34-37.

???????????

Girdle. The military girdle of ancient times was a leather belt worn around the waist or hips. It varied in width from 5 to 15 cm (2 to 6 in.) and was often studded with plates of iron, silver, or gold. The warrior’s sword was suspended from it, and at times the belt was supported by a shoulder strap. (1Sa 18:4; 2Sa 20:8) Whereas a loosened girdle denoted leisure (1Ki 20:11), girding up the loins or hips indicated readiness for action or battle.—Ex 12:11; 1Ki 18:46; 1Pe 1:13, ftn.

???????????

Greaves. Armor consisting of thin plates of metal, covering the leg between the ankle and the knee. The only Biblical reference to them is at 1 Samuel 17:6, where it is shown that the giant Philistine warrior Goliath from Gath had “greaves [Heb., mits·chath?] of copper above his feet.” The Israelites may also have used greaves to some extent.

?????

Spiritual Armor. Although true Christians do not share in fleshly warfare, they are engaged in a battle and are likened to soldiers. (Php 2:25; 2Ti 2:3; Phm 2) A Christian has a wrestling “against the governments [not made up of flesh-and-blood humans], against the authorities, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places.” (Eph 6:12) Since physical weapons and armor would be of no value in a battle against superhuman spirits, Christians must “take up the complete suit of armor from God.”—Eph 6:13.

???????????

Paul advises Christians to have their “loins girded about with truth.” (Eph 6:14) Just as a girdle can provide support and protection for the loins, an unbreakable attachment to divine truth can strengthen a Christian in his determination to remain firm despite trials.

???????????

Next, a Christian must put on “the breastplate of righteousness.” (Eph 6:14) A literal breastplate served to protect vital organs, especially the heart. The need of righteousness as a protective breastplate for the figurative heart is especially evident because of the heart’s sinful inclination.—Ge 8:21; Jer 17:9.

???????????

Part of the spiritual armor is to have the feet “shod with the equipment of the good news of peace.” (Eph 6:15) The Greek word he·toi·ma·si?a, translated “equipment,” has the basic meaning “readiness.” (See Int; NIV; TEV.) A Christian’s always being equipped and ready to make known the “good news” to others, and doing so despite hardships, can help him to endure faithfully.

A prominent part of the spiritual armor is “the large shield of faith.” Like a large shield covering most of the body, faith in Jehovah God and his ability to fulfill his promises will enable a Christian to “quench all the wicked one’s burning missiles.” (Eph 6:16; compare Ps 91:4.) Faith will help a Christian withstand attacks by wicked spirits, resist temptations to immorality, shun materialistic desires, and not give in to fear, doubt, or excessive grief.—Ge 39:7-12; Heb 11:15; 13:6; Jas 1:6; 1Th 4:13.

???????????

As a helmet protects a soldier’s head, so “the helmet of salvation” safeguards the Christian’s mental powers from ungodly influences. (Eph 6:17) Having on “as a helmet the hope of salvation” means looking “intently toward the payment of the reward,” as Moses did.—1Th 5:8; Heb 11:26.

“The sword of the spirit, that is, God’s word” is indispensable to the Christian in warding off false teachings and traditions of men and in teaching the truth and ‘overturning strongly entrenched things.’—Eph 6:17; 2Co 10:4, 5.

Tap on Video Link mp4 ______Enjoy!

Enjoy also one GIF picture 

???????????

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200000375#h=21:0-33:344

IMG_7685.MP4

asset.gif

• Views 391
  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WHAT KIND OF ARMOR DO YOU WANT? ??????????? Armor (Defensive). In order to protect his body from the offensive weapons of the enemy, a soldier employed various kinds of shields and personal

Posted Images